All-Star Comp Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Trying to decide what to do for our comp hair this year- if people have pictures of their teams/child in a bun I would love for you to hair so I can try to make a decision :) thanks!

buns look good on older youth age kids but I dont really like them on the really young ones as you need a donut and alot of young kids hair is so fine.
I like high pony either curled or slightly teased

Let me preface this:
I beg of you, do not go with a bun. Here is my list of reasons:
1. Buns are for dancer; as a dancer, I can say that---cheer should not have bun's. Personal pet peeve
2. I would not want anyone tumbling head over heals wearing a large one; it hurts a lot when they fall
3. Regardless of age, they're a PITA and I expect you to, at the very least, not want your parents to claw your eyes out
4. Just don't...

Since you asked:
CP wore 2 buns with spikes (fake hair that made a spike around each bun) on her half-season Tiny team. Not only are they beyond annoying to do with younger kids, I can tell you CP cried more getting it in and throughout the day, than she ever has over a ponytail with or without curls.

My suggestion, high ponytail (like top of the head) with a bow. If you're feeling sassy, add a tease or curls.

There is a state that requires buns for high school cheer... Illinois maybe? Really not sure, but if anyone can remember the state, then I'm sure it would be easier to find pictures with buns.

I attended a comp on Sunday where a team went with the "bun." Off the mat...I was not impressed; however their uniforms were so gorgeous and sparkly, I didn't even notice when they were ON the mat! haha That said...I love our comp hair this year...slicked back, high pony, teased enough to see the hair over the top of the bow....can be straight or curly ;-). Takes me 15 minutes to do daughters thick, long hair.

As a mom...I never ever ever want to deal with braids, curls, or poofs!

There is a state that requires buns for high school cheer... Illinois maybe? Really not sure, but if anyone can remember the state, then I'm sure it would be easier to find pictures with buns.

For Illinois your hair just can't touch your neck, at least thats what my coach told us the year I did high school cheer.

It's Missouri, you were close ;) let me see if I can find pics from my school and I'll add them in this post
ad805e3479ba935394a4363335332495.jpg

8e53df06c0356ec30c26f48caac18532.jpg

This year was braided front into a simple tight bun
1a5052fca4f9ce83c454d02577bed819.jpg
7037e67be53f9511117e04d5332a0d14.jpg
2e35cd1add9fbaa6cfbda1e74935ae15.jpg

This year we did poof, braid up the back, with a teased bun.
I included pics of them in action for you! I have to say I hate the bun but especially without a poof. If the hair is just slicked back into a bun everyone looks bald in photos. So I'd recommend doing a poof or at least a braid in the front!

Last edited:
Please don't do buns!! I agree that a high pony, teased so you can see it over the bow, straight or curled is best. The bow should sit 3, maybe 4 fingers back from the top of the forehead. I honestly like big hair, but there are people that go too far...

This year, our gym's tiny team is doing two curled pigtails - absolutely precious! The Mini/Youth/Junior/Senior levels 1-4 are doing half-up/half-down with curls and no poof - this is a very pretty style that looks fantastic on the floor. The Junior/Senior level 5 teams are doing high teased straight ponytail with a poof - easy to do and looks great! :)

Trying to decide what to do for our comp hair this year- if people have pictures of their teams/child in a bun I would love for you to hair so I can try to make a decision :) thanks!
I think it was Rock Dynasty last year, but they had PERFECTION in their comp hair. It was a side bun and it totally made their bows pop. It looked clean and sharp!

The ponytail in cheer is sometimes part of the routine, when girls flick their head up after tumbling, after jumps or in a stunt. So with buns it would just look more boring... Go for a high pony with maybe some teasing! (parents will thank you) :cool:

There was a Swedish team who did buns last year, it looked really pretty! We did a braid straight back for our first comp, it was a pain in the butt tbh haha! It looked good, but took forever, combined with teased, curled ponies... It was a nightmare! You couldn't really do it on yourself either, a french braid to the side is pretty easy, but as it was going straight back it looked awful when I tried myself lol.
11333670_441027829408951_1934647088_n.jpg

Back