All-Star Competition And Illness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My 9 year old competed with a really severe migraine. The hardest part was the migraine caused her vision to be very blurry. She had difficulty seeing. I told her she didn't have to compete if she didn't want to. She insisted on it. She said she could do the routine with her eyes closed. I struggled with it, but let her compete since it is a team sport. She was one of the flyers on a level 3 senior team. It is such a tough decision. I prayed the whole way through her routine. Fortunately, everything went fine.

IMO too sick to compete is when your Cp does not want too. Even your youngest child will refuse their favorite activity, ice cream etc if they are too sick, so my advice would be to see how they react. As a parent you should know your child. I know when my Cp is really sick. If she sleeps all day and does not want to play with her toys and does not want to eat even her favorite food then I know it is more than just a cold. If a 6 year old is really that sick you can not force them to do anything. If she wanted to go and she was happy and feeling better on medicine go for it! You are the parent which means you get to make the decisions! my Cp has never missed competition and has competed with cold, flu, stomach virus, ear infection etc. You name it we have done it and never once did I feel like I made the wrong decision because in her mind it was what she had to do. At 6 years old even when she was sick she would get up and get dressed on her own, not going was never an option for her.

Back