All-Star Competition Woes.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 20, 2010
So how would you feel if your family was unable to watch you perform because parents from another gym REFUSED to move from the VIP seating?

Well I was heartbroken today to find out that this happened to my mom and other members of my gym. 'fans' from another gym absolutely would not move (including requests from the event 'ushers'). My mom ended up sitting on cement floor (with my 10 month old nephew) in front of these stubborn individuals. Mind you we competed on a stage, so the only thing my mom got to see of me was when I was point for jumps. This is my last season competing with limited competitions that my family can actually attend. I wish people would think outside if their world for a second. I'm still floored about this, and plan to email and call the other gym owner about this. Sorry....just needed to rant.

Feel free to vent. I know competition season is in full swing and we've all probably been rubbed the wrong way at this point.

honestly this is my biggest pet peeve when going to an event, i understand people are worried cause they wanna see their children shine but other parents want to see their star children too so parents give them (other parents or athletes from the gym..etc) those two minutes and thirty second where their child is the star
#theend

That is an exceedingly poor reflection on the event that their own ushers refused to control the area. They should not have "requested" , they should have "insisted". That is how rude behavior flourishes, no one is willing to take a stand. I would love to see an usher go to an announcer who would then say something like: "ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but we are waiting for the people from gym A to vacate the VIP area, "

That is an exceedingly poor reflection on the event that their own ushers refused to control the area. They should not have "requested" , they should have "insisted". That is how rude behavior flourishes, no one is willing to take a stand. I would love to see an usher go to an announcer who would then say something like: "ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but we are waiting for the people from gym A to vacate the VIP area, "
I think that actually happened at BUTBT

It eventually got to that point. Unfortunately it was after my team competed. The MC made multiple announcements that fell on deaf ears, then I guess the powers-that-be decided to haunt the competition until people cleared out...just a huge bummer.

I would die with laughter!

I don't know, I just can't understand why you wouldn't move from the VIP stands? I've never seen anyone just sit there and refuse to move before. I mean, even before event planners got smart and put up gates and bars to separate the sections, everyone knew that you watched your gym or a friends team, and left. You didn't just sit there! I would be very upset if my friends and family had to sit on the floor or crouch down because people from another gym just wouldn't move.

I don't know, I just can't understand why you wouldn't move from the VIP stands? I've never seen anyone just sit there and refuse to move before. I mean, even before event planners got smart and put up gates and bars to separate the sections, everyone knew that you watched your gym or a friends team, and left. You didn't just sit there! I would be very upset if my friends and family had to sit on the floor or crouch down because people from another gym just wouldn't move.
I've seen it. If there are multiple rows of VIP then the ages, it's pretty easy to sneak in. Especially if you can get in for one team from your gym then just sit there and wait for another team. Happens more often with the bigger gyms, actually.

Allstarcesi....I know you are talking about MD States. One of my parents went up to the VIP seating when we were performing, couldn't get a seat because another team was in there and so stood up in front of them. They hissed at her and when they told her to sit down, she told them, well get up! Heat band came up early during our performance accidentally but I asked them to stay and play their music....lol...

Allstarcesi....I know you are talking about MD States. One of my parents went up to the VIP seating when we were performing, couldn't get a seat because another team was in there and so stood up in front of them. They hissed at her and when they told her to sit down, she told them, well get up! Heat band came up early during our performance accidentally but I asked them to stay and play their music....lol...

Maryland States was an unorganized disaster yesterday. No seats, no employees to be found. I paid for tickets, I should be able to have a seat, NOT have to stand on concrete floors as you run at least an hour behind. Then you want me to sit on the floor level "VIP Seating" that as was mentioned before was full of non parents and watch my kid on the elevated stage?? The "VIP Seating" was about 15 feet back from the stage, so you could KINDA see. IF everyone in front of you was sitting. POOR planning, hopefully they learned something.

Allstarcesi said:
So how would you feel if your family was unable to watch you perform because parents from another gym REFUSED to move from the VIP seating?

Well I was heartbroken today to find out that this happened to my mom and other members of my gym. 'fans' from another gym absolutely would not move (including requests from the event 'ushers'). My mom ended up sitting on cement floor (with my 10 month old nephew) in front of these stubborn individuals. Mind you we competed on a stage, so the only thing my mom got to see of me was when I was point for jumps. This is my last season competing with limited competitions that my family can actually attend. I wish people would think outside if their world for a second. I'm still floored about this, and plan to email and call the other gym owner about this. Sorry....just needed to rant.

Feel free to vent. I know competition season is in full swing and we've all probably been rubbed the wrong way at this point.

I am in no way excusing this behavior but I believe people parked theirselves in VIP, because there were no seats and the situation became physical over chairs yesterday. I personally stood up for 2 hours waiting for chairs and I was at the event at 8:30 and left when it was over. This event was poorly planned I enjoyed not being searched or having to pay a surcharge to ticketmaster and bringing in snacks for my cp's team, however I would have dealt with all of those things to be back at 1st Mariner Arena.

This competition has always had issues. A few years back, at 1st Mariner they said they would have VIP seating, and part of the way through they closed it and said is was for safety reasons. Plus the fiasco of reading the schedule not the results for placements. Running out of jacket, etc. You would think a Coastal would learn from their mistakes. Hopefully this is not a trend that will follow to Battle.

This happened at American Grand this year. And there was plenty of seating. And the ushers did nothing. I have never been so frustrated. I had to sit on the floor, I have a bad hip so floor sitting is very difficult, and all the complaining in the world did nothing. So any EP's out there listening. You have a responsibility to move people. DO IT!!!!!

This was the worst competition I've ever experienced in over 5 years. I also had to watch one of my CP from sitting on the cement floor, but at least by that time the staff was successful in getting other VIP spectators to sit down. When my first CP performed none of the parents w/out a seat would sit on the floor so I couldn't see her either. Not all the spectators in VIP were from our gym which made it even more frustrating -- Throughout the entire competition, but especially so in the first two sessions, it was every man for themselves. The only way to guarantee my husband had a seat when he came back from getting a drink was to sit in it (and mine simultaneously). The poaching of chairs was ridiculous, and as others have mentioned there were several physical altercations over chairs.

Back