All-Star Competition Woes.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This competition has always had issues. A few years back, at 1st Mariner they said they would have VIP seating, and part of the way through they closed it and said is was for safety reasons. Plus the fiasco of reading the schedule not the results for placements. Running out of jacket, etc. You would think a Coastal would learn from their mistakes. Hopefully this is not a trend that will follow to Battle.
They ran out of larger jacket sizes this year as well and kids were forced to get too small jackets so no they have not learned their lesson but they will when participation numbers start to dramatically lower.

ok, last year at 1st Mariner, I was a team rep and it was a MESS. I thought it was a problem because of 1st Mariner security, but now I am thinking otherwise! Parents were angrily texting me because our team was in warm-ups without coaches (I was not permitted by the comp to go back), one of the sweetest girls on our team had a security guard get up in her face because the girls were trying to watch another one of our teams that went immediately after they performed, and a few other girls on the team (my child included) nearly got into a physical altercation with security trying to defend her. Security agressively separated me from the team, and I ended up in a bunch of drama because, unfortuntately, a young girl on the team was lost for over an hour (which was very scary for everyone). I am sorry to hear how things went yesterday, but I am thinking that I am NOT sorry that I wasn't there!

Allstarcesi....I know you are talking about MD States. One of my parents went up to the VIP seating when we were performing, couldn't get a seat because another team was in there and so stood up in front of them. They hissed at her and when they told her to sit down, she told them, well get up! Heat band came up early during our performance accidentally but I asked them to stay and play their music....lol...
Yup, it was MD states. This was just one of many issues I had with this comp (as an athlete and a coach). And if it had been me out there, I would have just stood in front of the ignorant people. But my mom is probably The sweetest lady EVER. And was just so appalled by their behavior. And yes cheeeeer93, it was one of the larger gyms fanfare that did this. I know it was a combination of poor planning by the EP, along with insufficient staff but seriously it's called courtesy (obviously not common). I ended up getting injured and my mom had no idea cause she obviously couldn't see the performance.

They ran out of larger jacket sizes this year as well and kids were forced to get too small jackets so no they have not learned their lesson but they will when participation numbers start to dramatically lower.
Yea about the jackets, I wear a small or medium normally, I had to get a XL there because they ran soooo small. I couldn't zip up the medium and the large sleeves were too short. I knew that the coed teams were gonna have a fit because the largest they had were 2X which I guess would be a large in the real world.

Allstarcesi....I know you are talking about MD States. One of my parents went up to the VIP seating when we were performing, couldn't get a seat because another team was in there and so stood up in front of them. They hissed at her and when they told her to sit down, she told them, well get up! Heat band came up early during our performance accidentally but I asked them to stay and play their music....lol...

Hey boo! I've missed you! :)

^^^^^^^^^^That really is the best way to try and get anything done. It's sounds as though they would have to be idiots to not realize their event had issues, but unless you contact them and spell them out, people can be amazingly dense. But threaten to hurt them in the pocketbook by not attending and saying you are going to warn other gyms...... that usually gets attention.

This has nothing to do with the particular competition you are all talking about, but last week at Indy, I was waiting in line to use the rest room. A team from MD came in with their coach (maybe youth or jr?) and the COACH literally put her arm across my chest and said, "My girls have to warm up in 10 minutes. Let them go." Then about 6 little girls ran in front of me to the stalls that were opening. I was not happy and lost SO much respect for that team. I am not a confrontational type of person, so I just left and found another ladies room.

I heard of lots of issues with people sitting on the floor b/c there wasnt enough seating, people sitting in "VIP" for hours, running out of everything except hot dogs at the concession stands, people competing with more than 1 program, ridiculous crossovers etc.... Md States is a mess and has been one for the past few years... i.e. 2 years ago when the wrong placements for a whole division were announced.... I wish I could say that I will never go back, but the truth is if my cp's gym goes back then I really dont have a choice.... I have written my letter/email to Coastal Corp which I would hope will be addressed, but I doubt it....

This has nothing to do with the particular competition you are all talking about, but last week at Indy, I was waiting in line to use the rest room. A team from MD came in with their coach (maybe youth or jr?) and the COACH literally put her arm across my chest and said, "My girls have to warm up in 10 minutes. Let them go." Then about 6 little girls ran in front of me to the stalls that were opening. I was not happy and lost SO much respect for that team. I am not a confrontational type of person, so I just left and found another ladies room.

Uh, 99% of the time there are bathrooms IN the warm up area LOL! That coach should be ashamed of herself. Would be different if she politely asked if you minded if they went first because they were in a rush!

I arrived at the convention center for MD States at 9:00am. The tickets were $15 per person and when we went in people were standing everywhere. A little while later the announcer said that the event couldn't continue until people where seated. They started setting up chairs and told people they couldn't sit until they were through; boy did that go over well!! I also overheard the staff telling families they could sit in the VIP section because their seats were taken when they went up to watch their team. This may have caused some of the confusion in VIP.

A simple solution to this problem would be to get rid of VIP seating. I know its a great feeling to have your fans/parents right infront of you while performing, but to me it is very distracting. However, the reason I do like the VIP Seating is because it brings alot of energy.

Regarding the bathrooms... the ones I ended up going to were much larger as well. I have no idea what prompted that coach, but the girls were just following what she told them to do. It was disappointing to see.

At our first comp of the year, several of our girls complained that when they went to watch our Lvl 4 team, members of the gym up AFTER us were pushing US out of the way..physically pushing them out of the way. The retelling of said story, has now led to several "famous" quotes by my cp and her bcf (best cheer friend)... among them are such gems as "I think she felt me up" and my personal favorite direct towards the team from WAY North ... "Welcome to the South; hope you hit a deer..." No, they did not acutally say this to the other team .... :D

Back