All-Star Concussions And Awareness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know exactly what you mean.

Last season I was in practice one night, and we were warming up our elite stunt sequence. All of a sudden, something went wrong in my flyers 1 1/2 twist down, and I fell. Something in my knee popped. I didn't know what it was, I didn't think it was major. My coaches ran over and got me off the ground and I iced my knee for the remainder of the practice. I wasn't able to walk at all. That weekend was a competition, and I was determined to compete. Anyways, the next practice I was still not able to walk. My leg was wrapped up. As my team was doing full outs, I would "run" in and out of the routine to do the pyramid.
The next day was our kick off (showcase). I decided to perform. I went and threw a basket that was perfect and had no pain. I got to the elite stunt sequence, and we did a full up. My flyer pushed me out of the stunt, and I fell straight to the floor. I kept going through the rest of the routine.

The next day, I found out that my ACL was torn completely in half. I decided not to tell my gym coaches and owners and continue to practice. I had the worst pain and ended up texting my mom in the middle of practice to give my coaches the note to excuse me from cheer.

A couple months later, I got cleared, and my coaches didn't want to put me back in the routine for the safety of myself and the other teams after what happened at the show case. I never cheered since. I am literally empty without cheerleading. It has been my life for years...I literally have no words to describe what life is like without it.

I still am in contact with my gym, visit my gym, and go to competitions. They are still very supportive of me.

I know exactly what you mean.
A couple months later, I got cleared, and my coaches didn't want to put me back in the routine for the safety of myself and the other teams after what happened at the show case. I never cheered since. I am literally empty without cheerleading. It has been my life for years...I literally have no words to describe what life is like without it.

I am so sorry. I hope everything gets better for you.

My mom is the perfect example of why you need to tell someone when you are injured. She played elite basketball and injured her ankle several times and would just tape it up and not tell anyone. She also injured her fingers etc and not say a workd. She has been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis which has been made worse by her sports injuries. She calls her hands witch hands because the arthritis has started twisting her joints. She crippled with arthritis that is so bad she walks with a cane and she is only 54.

I scheduled a baseline ImPact Test for CP today. All this concussion talk has me worried so we will be prepared should something happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish all gyms would do this, especially if the schools don't. I'm thankful that my kids' school performs the ImPact test on all students in 4th grade or when they enroll, whichever is later.

Our schools don't do it until high school...that's 2 years away so I am not waiting!!

I don't believe our schools do it at all. It is something I am going to further research and see how it can be implemented in our district if there is not already a plan in place.

I don't believe our schools do it at all. It is something I am going to further research and see how it can be implemented in our district if there is not already a plan in place.
Really? I thought it was mandated by the NFHS. I could be wrong though. Ive been coaching hs field hockey and lax for the past four years and I've always had to be concussion certified to coach. Our kids all get baselined at the start of the year (or if they don't do a fall sport, they get baselined during their season).

Also, Special Olympics is now mandating that coaches take either the cdc or nfhs course, which I think is great! The more education coaches can get about concussions the safer our athletes will be.

Really? I thought it was mandated by the NFHS. I could be wrong though. Ive been coaching hs field hockey and lax for the past four years and I've always had to be concussion certified to coach. Our kids all get baselined at the start of the year (or if they don't do a fall sport, they get baselined during their season).

Also, Special Olympics is now mandating that coaches take either the cdc or nfhs course, which I think is great! The more education coaches can get about concussions the safer our athletes will be.

Already looking into it and am hoping I was just unaware of it.

I scheduled a baseline ImPact Test for CP today. All this concussion talk has me worried so we will be prepared should something happen!

I wish I could shimmy this 1,000 times. I'm so glad to hear this is offered to younger kids. I had never heard of it until CP got to high school last year and it was mandatory to all athletes. I had no intention of sharing CP's story until I read @Kris story about her CP. Kris, thank you for putting this thread together because it is preparing so many people. Hopefully none of the CP's will need the information on their baseline, but if they do it will provide the doctor with so much helpful information.
ImPACT Testing & Computerized Neurocognitive Assessment Tools

Got my answer - our school does it right after tryouts before the season starts for all contact sports. Since cp tried out for cheer at the 2nd tryouts (we had a fall and a winter tryouts this year) she slipped through the cracks. I emailed the coach and she told me I must have read her mind bceause she was just talking to the Athletic Trainer about setting it up for my cp after midterm week finished next week.
Thank you to everyone for making me aware of this, and I'm happy that our school does follow protocol.

Back