All-Star Concussions And Awareness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our college coaches didn't take concussions seriously and we were encouraged not to go to the trainers for anything, including concussions. And we often didn't end up going because we were terrified of losing our spots on competition team. Fortunately, they are no longer coaching and the new coach is great. I got seven concussions in a little under two years, five of which were from cheerleading and four of which I got while cheering my freshman year of college. I haven't cheered since my freshman year because it's just not safe for me anymore. I'm praying that kind of behavior doesn't go on other places but I'm sure it does which is disgusting. I could never imagine forcing one of the kids I coach now to cheer with a concussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our college coaches didn't take concussions seriously and we were encouraged not to go to the trainers for anything, including concussions. And we often didn't end up going because we were terrified of losing our spots on competition team. Fortunately, they are no longer coaching and the new coach is great. I got seven concussions in a little under two years, five of which were from cheerleading and four of which I got while cheering my freshman year of college. I haven't cheered since my freshman year because it's just not safe for me anymore. I'm praying that kind of behavior doesn't go on other places but I'm sure it does which is disgusting. I could never imagine forcing one of the kids I coach now to cheer with a concussion.

Wow. But 5+4=9, not seven. (I'm hoping you meant seven and not nine!)

I think my sophomore year I was the only person to make it through without a concussion. It seemed like every practice someone was getting one... And then they'd be back in a practice or two because everyone knew how to lie to the trainer to 'pass' the test. But the AD wasn't concerned even when parents went to her??? We had to read concussion material and sign an agreement (no baseline test for whatever reason) and the coach had to have concussion training and yet...

If what cheer paparazzi posted (which is usually accurate) is correct - a girl on snipers got a concussion yesterday and was allowed to compete a second time, where she was hit AGAIN...this was at GSSA (according to the post)...how this was able to happen after she received the first concussion is pretty scary - a little different but my best friend received a concussion when we were out riding and she came off, she seemed fine but we hacked back home to be safe and get her checked out. In the stable while she was untacking her horse she received another blow to her head (we are still unsure how/ why), and she never woke up. Drs said they can never be sure, but believed the earlier blow to her head contributed to her death. I can't imagine anyone else having to go through something so horrible and unnecessary- I'm in med school now and learning that head injuries are unpredictable even to consultants with vast experience- why risk a life for a performance?

If what cheer paparazzi posted (which is usually accurate) is correct - a girl on snipers got a concussion yesterday and was allowed to compete a second time, where she was hit AGAIN...this was at GSSA (according to the post)...how this was able to happen after she received the first concussion is pretty scary - a little different but my best friend received a concussion when we were out riding and she came off, she seemed fine but we hacked back home to be safe and get her checked out. In the stable while she was untacking her horse she received another blow to her head (we are still unsure how/ why), and she never woke up. Drs said they can never be sure, but believed the earlier blow to her head contributed to her death. I can't imagine anyone else having to go through something so horrible and unnecessary- I'm in med school now and learning that head injuries are unpredictable even to consultants with vast experience- why risk a life for a performance?
I'm so sorry. :(
I think my sophomore year I was the only person to make it through without a concussion. It seemed like every practice someone was getting one... And then they'd be back in a practice or two because everyone knew how to lie to the trainer to 'pass' the test. But the AD wasn't concerned even when parents went to her??? We had to read concussion material and sign an agreement (no baseline test for whatever reason) and the coach had to have concussion training and yet...

That's disturbing. And the AD's attitude toward the cheer parents says a LOT.

Who taught your teammates how to lie to pass concussion tests?

This sort of thing scares me so badly.

Kids will say "oh I'm fine" and coaches are okay with that.

Kids are ALWAYS going to say they're "fine" because the team is due to compete tomorrow/next week/in 30 minutes and no one wants to be the one to lose their spot, or if you have no extras, be the reason your coach has to scramble for a fill-in.

It's our job as the adults to say "You're not fine" even if it means your team goes out marking a stunt, you need an alternate last minute, etc.

Last edited:

That's terrible. Both of those stories. :(

My question is, how do you expect athletes to NOT to try to perform despite injures when they see SERIOUSLY INJURED athletes in CASTS ONE-ARM BASING stunts and girls in WALKING BOOTS on teams like Panthers competing at Worlds?? Am I only one who was wondering who on Earth let them compete?? What type of example is this setting to young girls who look up to them? Not to mention the sacrifice they're being allowed to place upon the self? The back spot on the SMOED vids who had leg injuries crying before and after competing AGAINST Dr recommendations. There comes a point when they need to STOP. The 2+ minutes isnt worth it!

My question is, how do you expect athletes to NOT to try to perform despite injures when they see SERIOUSLY INJURED athletes in CASTS ONE-ARM BASING stunts and girls in WALKING BOOTS on teams like Panthers competing at Worlds?? Am I only one who was wondering who on Earth let them compete?? What type of example is this setting to young girls who look up to them? Not to mention the sacrifice they're being allowed to place upon the self? The back spot on the SMOED vids who had leg injuries crying before and after competing AGAINST Dr recommendations. There comes a point when they need to STOP. The 2+ minutes isnt worth it!
True. Now I feel like a hypocrite, I gave the one-handed double-up girl so many props for what she did. It's very easy to slip into that mentality.

You know what I find funny? We glorify athletes that compete through injuries more than we glorify coaches that put practices in place in order to avoid a situation in which an athlete competes with a severe injury (e.g. proper conditioning and technique instruction in tumbling, not allowing sloppy stunts and tumbling skills onto the floor, etc).

Last edited:
In our are if you participate in a HS sport, a baseline test is done after tryouts. My CP doesn't participate in any school sports.

After my CP experienced her 1st concussion this AS season, still amazes me that coaches don't take concussions seriously. I heard "its cheer not football" "you need to get it together".
USASF really needs to address concussions as the serious matter that it is. Coaches/gyms need to be held accountable for forcing or allowing an athlete to participate when they have not been medically cleared to participate.

You only get one brain and as a parent I had to take a stand about my CP health and safety. She loves cheering but I will not allow her to jeopardize her health at the expense of cheering.

I got my first concussion 10 years ago when they weren't as talked about and the effects weren't as well known as they are now. I continued to cheer and play soccer because I "felt fine" and I was lucky that nothing more serious happened. I've received 4 more since then, and I am already experiencing some of the effects from them (headaches, bad memory and attention issues, etc). These weren't even serious concussions. I'm glad that they are coming more to the forefront, preventative actions are being put in place, and education is out there to help people understand how serious they really can be.

Seeing all the talk about baseline testing is very surprising. I had never heard about this until now so I'm actually upset my coach didn't do any of this and has probably let girls still practice after getting a concussion. I know for a fact I have gotten a concussion from high school cheer but I thought I was the only one and it was an accident. I became scatterbrained and dizzy during a game but I didn't think anything was wrong because my coach told me I had to do what's best for the team. I wish we had more of a protocol for what to do if a concussion happens and the baseline testing before anything happens.

Back