All-Star Confessions Of A Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am so obsessed about not missing practices that I want to go and shout at everyone who doesn't put in the same effort. It bugs me to no end that people are putting their uncle's/grandma's/friend's birthdayparty before practice!
I may or may not have reacted unfairly when people couldn't attend due to work or other reasonable issues... :oops:

Oh, i wish i had someone on my team to do this :-D
It´s one thing i as their coach tell them these kind of things, but i guess the girls would be more ashamed when their team mates call them out for missing practises because of those kind of reasons ;-)

I hate baskets. I absolutely hate them. I dread them at practice. I would love cheer so much more if they didn't exist.
me too!!!! i was fine with them as a base, but back spotting it scares the poop out of me!!! especially kick doubles, i literally used to dread them!

Reactions: Ems
me too!!!! i was fine with them as a base, but back spotting it scares the poop out of me!!! especially kick doubles, i literally used to dread them!
Right? They're awful as a back. I hope you never have to do flipping baskets. Unless you have a really good flyer that knows what they're doing, they suck. I always get bruises on my chest and one time a girl kept flying back over my head in tuck baskets and landing so hard on my chest she nearly broke my sternum! It hurt to breathe for a week!

Right? They're awful as a back. I hope you never have to do flipping baskets. Unless you have a really good flyer that knows what they're doing, they suck. I always get bruises on my chest and one time a girl kept flying back over my head in tuck baskets and landing so hard on my chest she nearly broke my sternum! It hurt to breathe for a week!
i have "retired" so no more baskets for me ever :) i know that feeling about landing on your chest, when i based and our flyer was learning to ball up she used to snap out on my boobs.... oddest looking cheer bruises ever!

The #1 reason I do not want to cheer in college. I'm a flyer and I've had expiriences before where my bases don't catch me... :confused:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

That's right. I like backspotting flipping baskets with front flips, but kick doubles or any back flipping baskets (especially x-outs) - not so much.

The scariest basket i ever based was a layout basket at an outdoor comp when we had to compete around 12 am.
The flyer went back right from the start - what she never did before in this way - and looking up with all the glitter make up straight to the sun was horrible. I was so glad we caught her (i don't know how). You can imagine we did not score very well, because we almost dropped the full up after the scary basket.

I love watching really good, clean baskets but i hate doing them :-D

Reactions: Ems
The #1 reason I do not want to cheer in college. I'm a flyer and I've had expiriences before where my bases don't catch me... :confused:
Don't let it deter you though! College cheer is so much fun!!! And I'm sure wherever you end up you will always be caught. I've never seen a college team not catch a flyer no matter how scary the basket is!
That's right. I like backspotting flipping baskets with front flips, but kick doubles or any back flipping baskets (especially x-outs) - not so much.

The scariest basket i ever based was a layout basket at an outdoor comp when we had to compete around 12 am.
The flyer went back right from the start - what she never did before in this way - and looking up with all the glitter make up straight to the sun was horrible. I was so glad we caught her (i don't know how). You can imagine we did not score very well, because we almost dropped the full up after the scary basket.

I love watching really good, clean baskets but i hate doing them :-D
I hate layouts... My flyer always sets back for them and land so hard on me! I don't mind x outs though. And I hate cheering outside. It's the worst to stunt looking into the sun. The worst basket I ever backed was a kick single (yeah, just a kick single)... The flyer did not stay tight at all, so when she kicked her leg, her entire body started to flip and go backwards and then she freaked out in the air, so she was falling in like the splits, but upside down. She landed completely on me and kicked my head really hard. We were fine though. But afterwards she was complaining how her shoulder was sore from the catch, which ticked me off. Like really? Would you rather have fallen on your head? I got a raging headache and ringing in my ear after it but you didn't hear me complaining. She didn't even ask if I was okay.

I *think* I'm probably retired now - I wanted one final year, but work and my back injury were both against me. I'm extra sad as I'd moved to a new L5 worlds team in my new home town, and I was really enjoying getting to know a new team and experiencing new coaching..but that's life I guess.

Confessions are therefore from the last 7 years of cheer:

- I scope out everyone we've been against on youtube, facebook and google. I then decide if I need to worry about them, or if they look beatable. I deny any knowledge to my teammates though so I don't freak anyone out.

-I was renowned in my team for always having 20 million copies of the running order, with our gym's teams highlighted in purple (our colours!) and teams I wanted to support/watch in another colour. I would continually have people asking what's next.

-I really want to coach, but I don't think any team would let me :( as I don't have good tumbling skills. I DO have amazing choreography ideas though (in my own head, anyway!)

-We followed CEA Coed Elite onto the floor at Jamfest, and it's the only time I've not been nervous, mainly as I was too in awe to get properly wound up!

-I stretch as if I'm a flyer, and I practice lib sequences (my teams, CEA, World Cup, Top Gun etc) on the arm of my sofa. I haven't flown for YEARS now.

-I KNOW I arch my back as I base. I KNOW I pull out of a stunt and then step back under it. I KNOW. But I can't stop. I just can't.

-I competed Coed 4 all last year, but stepped in for our AG 2 last year when someone got hurt. In practice, I got a black eye from basing a straight ride basket (hit heads with the other base). I was way too embarrassed to admit it was in a straight ride, so didn't correct people when they thought it was from Coed 4.

-Similarly, when 2 of the guys from Coed Elite came over at Jamfest and asked about it, I just said 'baskets'. When they asked if it was from flying kick doubles, I may have said 'yes'. This may have been untrue. :oops:

-I really annoy myself when I tumble. I had my punch front, landed on my back once, then refused to throw it. I can't explain why, other than I don't want to die. Yet I know that the worst that can happen is I land on my back. Which I've done before. And it was ok. I had my BHS. Now I can only throw it on a trampoline, or NEAR a trampoline, or with one of 2 coaches standing near. So not on a competition mat. WHY?!

-I really loved learning Level 5 skills. I did try Open Level 6, but the baskets and the pyramids TERRIFIED ME. Level 5 = fun. Level 6 = scary.

-I've had a few flyers who have only wanted to fly big stuff if I base them. I don't entirely get this, as I'm not a fabulous base. I think it's cos I will ALWAYS catch them. I'm always a bit flattered if they get all happy when I'm put basing them, or sad when I'm not.

-Flyers who moan and cry if they get caught hard, or if they step out of a stunt and I can't miraculously make them stay up, really REALLY annoy me. I had a year with a flyer who would freak out mid kick twist basket and just plummet, elbows out towards me, step out of libs, stamp on my chest in 2-man libs, kick me in double downs...literally cover me in bruises. Yet she would whimper and cry if she was caught a tiny bit hard, and ask for ice. GET. A. GRIP.

-I loved jumps. When the coach said 'ooh, jumps or baskets..' I'd always say jumps. But usually right beside the coach in a quiet voice, as I didn't want to get beaten up by my teammates.

-I miss cheer more than I can admit, and I wish I could go back. :(

-I really want to coach, but I don't think any team would let me :( as I don't have good tumbling skills. I DO have amazing choreography ideas though (in my own head, anyway!)

ive coached for years and my tumbles stretch as far as a round off or walkover on a good day haha. dont let that put you off!!!! coaching is the best thing i ever did!!

-I really loved learning Level 5 skills. I did try Open Level 6, but the baskets and the pyramids TERRIFIED ME. Level 5 = fun. Level 6 = scary.
So true. In sweden we only have senior l1, l2/3 and l6. I hate level 6... I've competed once with a l6 pyramid it was fun that one time (and scary..) But i never want to do it again :p

Back