All-Star Convincing Mom To Let Me Switch To Allstar

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 22, 2015
Hello,

I really would like to switch to allstar cheer from gymnastics. My mom I don't think will be very keen on the idea mostly because she doesn't really understand it. I was hoping someone in the cheer world like a parent or coach could maybe help me change her mind with some reasoning that would appeal to a parent because I don't have that perspective.

First off this is how I feel. I've been doing gymnastics I think since around 4th grade and I'm in 10th now. I've also only been competing for two years though. I'm not very good at bars or beam and I currently have a mental block on vault. I'm currently at about level 3/10 on almost all events. i probably won't get past level 5 ever. The only event I like is floor. Floor is also my best event, the only event I got to compete at invitational meets, and the only event that I have ever placed in. If I could only compete floor I would love it, but in gymnastics you have to compete all around unless at invitationals or qualifying meets. I also used to be on a dance show team. I feel like cheer brings together a lot of what I love, dance, tumbling ( floor), and of course stunting. I have done some stunting in a different sport that I don't feel comfortable sharing on a forum because it kind of reveals who I am. I haven't done necessarily the same kind but I loved working together with my teammates to get the one girl in the air.

I think my mom's main concerns would be in the cost, travel time, uniforms, and switching so late in my teenage life.

Gymnastics is surprisingly cheap here. I think all of our practice leos, competition leos, warmups, accessories, team spirit wear maybe come out to $300 at most. Tuition is also low. We also practice 6 days a week for 3 months and 2 days a week for 9 months ( 2 hours each day) so I don't know how that compares to cheer. The problem isn't necessarily the cost, it is something my family can afford for sure , but I think the comparative cost to gymnastics will seem ridiculous.

Then I also think the uniform may seem odd to my mom. I don't know how she would feel about an open stomach. I do wear leotards but I think a sports bra may seem much for her. Can people generally wear a shirt to say practice in and only wear a half top for comps?

Travel time also seems like it would be an issue. My school doesn't excuse absences for non-school sponsored event so it seems like I would need an exception or to lie, or to leave after school. I don't know how realistic this is because I don't know the exact details of how competitions work. I know some competitions require you to miss school, but how much?

Finally, the gym would be half an hour away and I would have to take the freeway. I can't drive yet, but I will be able to soon. I don't know how my mom will feel about it. Currently gymnastics is only 15-20 minutes away so that adds travel time. Ultimately though I think it would be worth it to be a part of something where I could be successful and enjoy it, instead of being miserable for 3/4 of my practice.

Basically how do I present this information to my mom in a way where it would seem positive? I certainly think it would make me happier and we could make it work. I'm willing to get a job to help pay and such. I just feel like because she knows nothing about cheer she will think it is a ridiculous idea without considering it because it is so different from what we're used to.

If anyone has any ideas or insight on what may convince my mom please let me know. What made you let your daughter cheer? Do you think it is worth it?

Heartofcheer has some good articles on the positive aspects of All Star Cheer.
I love All Star Cheer and it has been an amazing experience for both of my girls, but it is a personal choice. In the end your Mom has to do what she feels is best for your family. Best Wishes

Make Today Count - Heart of Cheer

Not a parent but I would recommend going on the website for the gym you want to attend because every gym does things differently. Maybe talk to a coach at the gym to see where they stand on traveling, practice schedules etc.

Not a parent but I would recommend going on the website for the gym you want to attend because every gym does things differently. Maybe talk to a coach at the gym to see where they stand on traveling, practice schedules etc.
I wish I could do this. The gym I would probably be attending is brand new though ( a satellite location) . I emailed them and they said they were still working things out and that they would provide me with information as soon as possible. I'd prefer to talk to my mom earlier though because it may take her a while to warm up to the idea.

I wish I could do this. The gym I would probably be attending is brand new though ( a satellite location) . I emailed them and they said they were still working things out and that they would provide me with information as soon as possible. I'd prefer to talk to my mom earlier though because it may take her a while to warm up to the idea.

I think I would wait until I had all of the details and then put it into a persuasive essay type format and go from there. At this point, you don't have answers to any of the questions she'd be asking---so there is nothing to warm up to. However, if you want to quit gymnastics and you're serious about that, then just do it. You have to show your mom you're dedicated to the switch.

You practice 6 days a week for 3 months and then 2 days a week for 9 months? That is the weirdest gymnastics training schedule I have ever heard off. If you have level three gymnastic skills that would likely mean a level 2 cheer team. I would guess that most teams of that level would practice around two to three days a week, but obviously you'd need to check with the gym. Just talk to your mom and tell her why you want to switch. Good luck.

Well to answer some of your questions,
-yes you can wear a tshirt to practice, unless the gym has required practice wear. But, I do know of a few gyms that don't mind if you wear a tshirt if it makes you comfortable.
-The missing school part, it depends on your competition schedule. My senior year, I only HAD to miss one day of school (luckily two out of town weekend comps lead up to a Monday off of school). I of course missed a few more for travel/wanting to hang out on the town (Disney, Daytona). You may have to miss a lot more depending on where you live.
-the driving issue would totally be up to your mom. Is there maybe a longer route that avoids the freeway if that's the issue? Is setting up a carpool a possibility to cut down the driving time to only once a week?

When I convinced my parents to let me switch to allstars, I was about your age too. I may have begged them every year since I was about 11, but mainly our issue was money and travel. The year they finally let me do it, I was able to drive. I cheered at a gym about 25 minutes away and paid for my own gas since I had a job. I was able to pick up a tryout packet from the gym I wanted to cheer at which literally answered EVERYTHING. I was able to give it to them and let them read it over to make sure it was the right gym and the right kind of commitment.
do you know any current cheerleaders that may be able to help you out with any questions? If you end up not doing allstars, is high school an option?

You seem very bright and level headed about the situation especially for a 15 ish year old. It really seems like you took the time and made the effort to consider several factors. I would tell your mom exactly would you told us, acknowledging that you understand the "downsides" but while also highlighting the benefits of switching over. When the new satelite location of the gym finalizing information, I would suggest that you ask your mother to consider going to one of the open houses/meetings and speaking with the coaches to better understand what all star cheer is.

You can also play her youtube videos?

Hello,

I really would like to switch to allstar cheer from gymnastics. My mom I don't think will be very keen on the idea mostly because she doesn't really understand it. I was hoping someone in the cheer world like a parent or coach could maybe help me change her mind with some reasoning that would appeal to a parent because I don't have that perspective.

First off this is how I feel. I've been doing gymnastics I think since around 4th grade and I'm in 10th now. I've also only been competing for two years though. I'm not very good at bars or beam and I currently have a mental block on vault. I'm currently at about level 3/10 on almost all events. i probably won't get past level 5 ever. The only event I like is floor. Floor is also my best event, the only event I got to compete at invitational meets, and the only event that I have ever placed in. If I could only compete floor I would love it, but in gymnastics you have to compete all around unless at invitationals or qualifying meets. I also used to be on a dance show team. I feel like cheer brings together a lot of what I love, dance, tumbling ( floor), and of course stunting. I have done some stunting in a different sport that I don't feel comfortable sharing on a forum because it kind of reveals who I am. I haven't done necessarily the same kind but I loved working together with my teammates to get the one girl in the air.

I think my mom's main concerns would be in the cost, travel time, uniforms, and switching so late in my teenage life.

Gymnastics is surprisingly cheap here. I think all of our practice leos, competition leos, warmups, accessories, team spirit wear maybe come out to $300 at most. Tuition is also low. We also practice 6 days a week for 3 months and 2 days a week for 9 months ( 2 hours each day) so I don't know how that compares to cheer. The problem isn't necessarily the cost, it is something my family can afford for sure , but I think the comparative cost to gymnastics will seem ridiculous.

Then I also think the uniform may seem odd to my mom. I don't know how she would feel about an open stomach. I do wear leotards but I think a sports bra may seem much for her. Can people generally wear a shirt to say practice in and only wear a half top for comps?

Travel time also seems like it would be an issue. My school doesn't excuse absences for non-school sponsored event so it seems like I would need an exception or to lie, or to leave after school. I don't know how realistic this is because I don't know the exact details of how competitions work. I know some competitions require you to miss school, but how much?

Finally, the gym would be half an hour away and I would have to take the freeway. I can't drive yet, but I will be able to soon. I don't know how my mom will feel about it. Currently gymnastics is only 15-20 minutes away so that adds travel time. Ultimately though I think it would be worth it to be a part of something where I could be successful and enjoy it, instead of being miserable for 3/4 of my practice.

Basically how do I present this information to my mom in a way where it would seem positive? I certainly think it would make me happier and we could make it work. I'm willing to get a job to help pay and such. I just feel like because she knows nothing about cheer she will think it is a ridiculous idea without considering it because it is so different from what we're used to.

If anyone has any ideas or insight on what may convince my mom please let me know. What made you let your daughter cheer? Do you think it is worth it?
The team aspect and every person on the team being equally important. There's no bench to pull from. There is also a division and level for every ability and age. Perhaps start out on a half year or prep team as they generally have lower time and financial commitments and don't travel as often or as far.

I agree with @ErinS that you've laid it out quite well. Maybe you can write a letter to your mom and either read it to her or leave it for her so that you can help her really understand where you're coming from. I would also suggest trying to figure out how to deal with some of the challenges. For example, increased tuition- can you get a job to help pay? I agree with highlighting the positives but it also seems like there are a number of very valid "negatives" that you may want to share. As a parent, I hope that if my kids come to me and tell me they're not enjoying something, that I am open to hearing it. (They're young so we're not there yet!). So, I do think there is value in making sure you're truthful about the many aspects about this and also that you have given this quite a bit of thought. I hope it goes well!

You just need to be straight forward and honest. I do not like what I'm doing now. I did my research, this is what I would like to do. Why? This is the current information that I have. Etc. I'd make a power point presentation with videos, pictures, facts and may information you have collected. As a parent if my child did not like what they were doing, why keep waisting my money? And I'd let the choose a new hobbies within reason.

My kids have done all star cheer since they were in 1st grade and through high school (my youngest is a senior in high school so it is her last year since she will be away at college next year) and they have loved it. The cost is a major factor and something that your mom will need to know up front. Cheer uniforms can cost around $350-$450 and that doesn't include anything else so that is a surprising expense from the beginning. Then adding on monthly coaches fees and competition fees (which for our gyms was $900) and then your hotel and travel costs on top of that plus the entrance fees your mom will need to pay to watch you perform so it really does add up. It sounds like cheer will incorporate your favorite part of gymnastics, the tumbling. My daughter started getting a mental block connecting her tumbling a few years ago but she can do a standing back tuck and she is a great base and back spot so she is on a level 4 team so it will depend on the cheer gym you go to and what type of teams they are able to put together. Your mom probably would like to see you follow-through with gymnastics since you have done it so long but it sounds like you really are not enjoying it fully. you need to enjoy what you are doing. Back to competitions, it depends what competitions the gym you choose will go to and if there are any out of state so you might have to miss some school so hopefully your grades are good but you will have to be proactive with staying on top of it all. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help! I talked to my mom the other day. She said we can definitely consider it. We need to look at the driving time, schedule, prices and such, but it looks like I may be cheering next year! I was also surprised to hear that she had talked to a fellow teammate's mom whose oldest daughter switched to cheer, who said that it looked like something I would enjoy. My mom also pointed out that cheer shoes have some more support for my feet/ankles which she sees as a positive. Now I just need to wait on further information from the gym. Oh and for anyone that was wondering about the gymnastics schedule, I'm on a high school sponsored team. So if it is competition season the school rents a gym and we practice a lot, but outside of that I am on a gym sponsored team workout program.

Back