All-Star Cover Up Rule And Awards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2012
This past weekend was my gym's first competition of the season and we were all told to either wear our gym's black warm up jacket or some other black jacket. All from our gym followed the rule and most other gyms did too.

However, during awards all of the athletes from our gym kept our warm up jackets on for awards, but we were the only gym to do so. All other gyms were just in their crop tops (if not a full top gym).

What have most people been doing at awards? Is it mandatory to be covered up? I will say I think it made us look very clean and presentable. I am just confused as it if it is necessary or not...

So far I've seen the cover up rule be followed (by some) while their team is walking around the arena during the actual competition, but when they are going to warms up, competing, or at awards they are not covered, which I think is fine. During awards, most companies take photos of grand/national champs but only have very limited time. I think this is why the cover up rule doesn't apply to awards.

This past weekend was my gym's first competition of the season and we were all told to either wear our gym's black warm up jacket or some other black jacket. All from our gym followed the rule and most other gyms did too.

However, during awards all of the athletes from our gym kept our warm up jackets on for awards, but we were the only gym to do so. All other gyms were just in their crop tops (if not a full top gym).

What have most people been doing at awards? Is it mandatory to be covered up? I will say I think it made us look very clean and presentable. I am just confused as it if it is necessary or not...
If we're talking about the same comp, I highly doubt it was even thought to be enforced because it wasn't really run by any USASF officials really. Just cheerleaders.

I honestly have forgotten about the rule at every competition we've gone to this year. Our gym hasn't mentioned anything and I haven't seen it enforced either.

If we're talking about the same comp, I highly doubt it was even thought to be enforced because it wasn't really run by any USASF officials really. Just cheerleaders.

Yeah I get that, but I'm talking about in general, are teams supposed to be covered up during awards? Is it mandatory? The gym's choice? We've never covered up at awards in the past so I'm not sure if our coaches just decided to take that route or if it was a real part of the rule.

And it was the something Winter Blast in NH (I think its called) that I was at.

Cover-up rule isn't a rule, it's a guideline. There isn't necessarily any enforcement that I've heard of, in fact, I've hardly seen it brought up since the beginning of the season. Some do it, some don't. There really is only gym preference..I think I've read someone posting about ONE occasion where some girls in crop tops were asked to cover up. That's it.

At Spirit of Hope this past weekend I saw very few gyms following this "guideline". I would say the vast majority weren't wearing cover ups. Of the few that were they had them unzipped. None of the gyms at our awards ceremony were wearing them.

I was under the understanding that since awards are part of the competition, then the cover up guideline didn't apply.

Cover-up rule isn't a rule, it's a guideline. There isn't necessarily any enforcement that I've heard of, in fact, I've hardly seen it brought up since the beginning of the season. Some do it, some don't. There really is only gym preference..I think I've read someone posting about ONE occasion where some girls in crop tops were asked to cover up. That's it.
Am I the only one who read this with a "Captain Barbossa" voice :D

I know for our gym they have the girls cover up but when it comes to the awards they want their cover ups off. I never thought to ask, I just figured it was because they are stage.

I was under the understanding that since awards are part of the competition, then the cover up guideline didn't apply.

My team is competing for the first time tomorrow and our coach posted that we needed to be covered up except warmups, competing, and awards. I was under the same assumption as you.

At Heavy Hitters 2 weekends ago, there was actually a lot of confusion on the part of our kids over what to do with their warmup jackets when they met for awards. They kept them on then came running back and threw them where the parents were sitting because their coach wanted them off. I guess if they are heading to awards they can go in their crop tops?

Pretty sure because they are on stage for awards the cover ups come off. Its in uniform on the mat so to speak.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Back