All-Star Cover Up Rule And Awards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just don't like bandaid fixes, and for such a brouhaha over this 'guideline' I feel like they should at least back it up or make it emphasized that this was a guideline. Is it even really a fix for anything? Does this REALLY change people's perception of what we do? I don't think so..

To be fair, when they released it they clearly weren't expecting it to be as much of a brouhaha as it was ("theatrical movements" anyone?).

I don't know that it's a fix for anything, and I don't know for sure if anyone's perception has changed, but if it makes people stop and think and remember that we're not the only ones in a convention center at a given time, then it's certainly not hurting. Like I've said before - Athletic in Providence is attached to a mall - your crop tops do not belong in a mall. If forcing girls to wear a t-shirt means they don't run around the mall in their unis (and it might if they don't have to go back upstairs and get a coverup) then I don't really have a problem.

I agree though that, they should emphasized the guideline aspect of it instead of saying it was a rule - especially since it can't be enforced. But I don't think it's fair to say this is a priority over more pressing issues.

To be fair, when they released it they clearly weren't expecting it to be as much of a brouhaha as it was ("theatrical movements" anyone?).

I don't know that it's a fix for anything, and I don't know for sure if anyone's perception has changed, but if it makes people stop and think and remember that we're not the only ones in a convention center at a given time, then it's certainly not hurting. Like I've said before - Athletic in Providence is attached to a mall - your crop tops do not belong in a mall. If forcing girls to wear a t-shirt means they don't run around the mall in their unis (and it might if they don't have to go back upstairs and get a coverup) then I don't really have a problem.

I agree though that, they should emphasized the guideline aspect of it instead of saying it was a rule - especially since it can't be enforced. But I don't think it's fair to say this is a priority over more pressing issues.
That was my point- it's NOT a priority, but it seems to be given more of a priority. I'd rather the USASF be like 'Hey, so we'd like to move in this direction by 20xx'. That way people actually start talking about things as if they're going to happen instead of some arbitrary.
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time-sensitive
Goals. It's how stuff gets done.

That was my point- it's NOT a priority, but it seems to be given more of a priority. I'd rather the USASF be like 'Hey, so we'd like to move in this direction by 20xx'. That way people actually start talking about things as if they're going to happen instead of some arbitrary.
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time-sensitive
Goals. It's how stuff gets done.

Agree to disagree. I agree that they didn't go about it they best way, but I still don't see how this seems to be given more of a priority. USASF hasn't touched it or talked about it since it was released. Just because they announced it before fixing a universal scoresheet doesn't mean it's a priority. If a government or governing body doesn't do anything until the most important issues are addressed, then nothing gets done.

Agree to disagree. I agree that they didn't go about it they best way, but I still don't see how this seems to be given more of a priority. USASF hasn't touched it or talked about it since it was released. Just because they announced it before fixing a universal scoresheet doesn't mean it's a priority. If a government or governing body doesn't do anything until the most important issues are addressed, then nothing gets done.
Respectfully, as always :D

We were at a competition in NJ last weekend and the guidelines definitely were not being followed. My CP's mini team wears full tops; but at one point I looked over at them running about the venue and they all rolled their shirts up and made them into crops, just like 90% of the "big girls" from all the teams were wearing. My initial thought was somewhere between a mama's protective "hell no that is my six year old!" and "look! how cute, they are emulating their "idols".

As for the older girls, I guess I view it differently than whomever made these guidelines. To me, seeing the cheerleaders in their cropped uniforms is a testament to the athletes that they are. Most anyone can look cute with make-up and a bow, but only an athlete can rock the muscular bodies that most of the cheerleaders have earned. It is a shame that society focuses on the sexualization of it and not how healthy and rocking these kids are.

Back