All-Star Cover Up Rule.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A couple of years ago I received a survey regarding all star cheer and image. I thought the uniform change and cover up policy were more a result of trying to improve the image of all star cheer rather than a safety issue?? The survey also included questions about music, dance moves, make up, etc. The questions asked were about how I thought the non-cheer public perceived all star cheer so I asked my non-cheer friends the questions and used their responses.

okay we get it :) I never said anything after your first comment other then I didn't literally mean "asking for it" chill!!!!

Stop posting what you don't mean. You clearly posted that you think the guideline should be enforced because exposed skin puts athletes in danger. That's a dangerous opinion. I've decided to ignore your posts because you are obviously looking for a fight, but I can't ignore this thread.

okay we get it :) I never said anything after your first comment other then I didn't literally mean "asking for it" chill!!!!

Then what did you mean by it? I actually took offense to your comment about a child asking to be raped or molested because what they wear! A Pedophile would attack a child even if they were covered from head to toe, they don't care what they wear! You should probably be a bit more sensitive if you plan to work with children.

A couple of years ago I received a survey regarding all star cheer and image. I thought the uniform change and cover up policy were more a result of trying to improve the image of all star cheer rather than a safety issue?? The survey also included questions about music, dance moves, make up, etc. The questions asked were about how I thought the non-cheer public perceived all star cheer so I asked my non-cheer friends the questions and used their responses.

That's what I remember, as well.

There should be a clause added to the rule that excludes mesh/rhinestoned mesh midriffs from the category of full tops.

Stop posting what you don't mean. You clearly posted that you think the guideline should be enforced because exposed skin puts athletes in danger. That's a dangerous opinion. I've decided to ignore your posts because you are obviously looking for a fight, but I can't ignore this thread.
I'm not looking for a fight okay? Thanks. Have a nice day.

I really don't get the need for the cover up rule and it doesn't bother me at all if cheerleaders walk around in their uniforms at comps - I've seen so much worse at dance competitions, and even then it doesn't bother me. Cheer comps require people to pay for admission, so that alone will keep a lot of the pervert element out more than other types of competitions (at a dance comp, anyone can walk in for free).

I've never really seen an all star cheer uniform that looks "inappropriate" (some NFL/NBA uniforms cross a line, yes, but not all star and HS, unless I'm in the dark or missed something). I also don't really get why a stomach showing is the standard that we regulate on - to me it should be more about skirt or short length and/or low cut tops (like the rules should be that their butt cheeks shouldn't be hanging out and there shouldn't be cleavage). I guess if the waist was mega low cut to the point where their hip bones would be exposed, then that would be a stomach issue, but I haven't really seen AS uniforms like that - most just go a little below the belly button.

I personally think cropped cheer tops are cute and can totally look very conservative if the rest of the inform is styled tastefully, and I'm actually bummed about this full top rule cause my CP would look much cuter in a crop top ;).

Last edited:
What I meant by "asking for it" is that if you're aren't enforcing being covered up and you know they're perverts around, then there is an issue. I didn't literally mean asking for it as if a child was asking for someone to molest or rape her/him. I would never say that. I just think coaches should take more action on making the image of the child "of any age" who is cheering that day, looks appropriate. I don't know why, but it does bother me when I see teams that have not competed or not in the warm up room and vise versa, just wearing their uniform.

I really don't get the need for the cover up rule and it doesn't bother me at all if cheerleaders walk around in their uniforms at comps - I've seen so much worse at dance competitions, and even then it doesn't bother me. Cheer comps require people to pay for admission, so that alone will keep a lot of the pervert element out more than other types of competitions (at a dance comp, anyone can walk in for free).

I've never really seen an all star cheer uniform that looks "inappropriate" (some NFL/NBA uniforms cross a line, yes, but not all star and HS, unless I'm in the dark or missed something). I also don't really get why a stomach showing is the standard that we regulate on - to me it should be more about skirt or short length and/or low cut tops (like the rules should be that their butt cheeks shouldn't be hanging out and there shouldn't be cleavage). I guess if the waist was mega low cut to the point where their hip bones would be exposed, then that would be a stomach issue, but I haven't really seen AS uniforms like that - most just go a little below the belly button.

I personally think cropped cheer tops are cute and can totally look very conservative if the rest of the inform is styled tastefully, and I'm actually bummed about this full top rule cause my CP would look much cuter in a crop top ;).
Dance comps aren't free :) Just letting you know.

If there is a pervert around, the pervert is the issue. I am going to have a nice day. It's my birthday. As a gift, I'd love you to stop trying to stir this pot. Especially on this topic, your posts are offensive and dangerous.
Happy Birthday :)

I think the cover-up rule is meant to act as a guideline so that again younger girls are wearing age appropriate attire and their role-models (older cheerleaders) are also "covered-up" appropriately. It is not a safety concern, but meant to make the entire cheer industry appear more professional in the way the girls present themselves and act on AND OFF the competition floor. The way you are dressed by no means should affect the amount of child molestation and rapes at comps... or anywhere, and I do not believe this is at all the reason why USASF created the cover-up rules.

Nfinity recently came out with a "scarf" that is meant to act as a cover-up for uniforms. Idk if the idea will take off, but I think USASF will become stricter with uniform policies, especially now that uniform rules have changed.

8 Ways to Wear the Nfinity Scarf | Team Cheer

What I meant by "asking for it" is that if you're aren't enforcing being covered up and you know they're perverts around, then there is an issue. I didn't literally mean asking for it as if a child was asking for someone to molest or rape her/him. I would never say that. I just think coaches should take more action on making the image of the child "of any age" who is cheering that day, looks appropriate. I don't know why, but it does bother me when I see teams that have not competed or not in the warm up room and vise versa, just wearing their uniform.

If there is a pervert around he is still going to see them on stage with their uni on anyways....

Dance comps aren't free :) Just letting you know.
The studio dance comps like what you seen on Dance Moms are what I'm talking about (not actual Dance Mom filming comps cause those are fake and staged only for the show - I hear those are making people pay to get in). I've never had to pay to get in to a studio dance competition.

They are always free - the competition fees are outrageous, so the least they can do is let people watch them for free ;).

Back