Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. tojofasho

tojofasho I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Oh boy, I'm trying real hard not to just come at people in this thread because I have stuff to do, but I can't not say something here. I left my anecdote a few pages back but in case you skipped it, I've had both the flu and corona. Only one hospitalized me, put me on an emergency ventilator, and brought me to what felt like the brink of death (spoiler alert - it was COVID-19). I've had pneumonia, strep, bronchitis...basically any illness that you can list off I've had, and never once did I think that any of those would do me in. In fact, I still went to work as a high school math teacher and taught while I had all of those. Unpleasant, but doable.

Corona, however, I couldn't even leave my bed when I was in the midst of it. For over a week I had to be carried to the bathroom and basically waited on hand and foot by my husband, especially because this was back in mid-March and nobody knew how to handle this yet (28th case in my state). Nothing else has ever affected me in such a profound way and made me feel so weak, I would not wish that experience on anybody. So basically this was a very roundabout way to bring me to my final point: stop comparing corona to the flu, it is not the same thing as the flu. Yes the flu is bad and very much not-fun to deal with, but it is nowhere near as serious as this virus. Yes we all want the world to go back to normal, but not before we have a decent handle on this.

2. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

When you have the flu you are not asymptomatic.

3. NavarroNewb20

NavarroNewb20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    That could be several masks. One of the masks is sounds like is Vogmask, which, for a while, were getting pretty popular with, say, folks with cystic fibrosis or other things requiring organ transplant. I think the concern here is that air can come out of the vent. A pretty goodly amount. So CF clinics and such are disallowing them and recommending a surgical mask. In these days of shortage of actual PPE, a cloth mask without a vent is more appropriate.

I use a mask from Breathe Healthy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    people don't usually spend 80+ days in the hospital, lose a leg, need a temporary pacemaker, or need dialysis from the flu.

(and yes, those all happened to the same person.)

5. california cheer mom

california cheer mom Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Not the right kind of mask. Those are to protect you from breathing in fumes, and does not trap what you breathe out (we have these on hand when wildfire season is here, to prevent breathing in smoke). You wear a mask for Covid to prevent spread if you are asymptomatic. So the vent allows your germs to gt out an infect others.

Why you shouldn't wear a COVID-19 mask that has a valve

6. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just wear a mask, please. Yes, it’s annoying. I hate working in one. They make my nose run, my eyes water, and overall are just far from ideal.

But this is so much bigger than my personal feelings of discomfort. It’s not about ME right now. The people out there who are at a higher risk of Corona really give a **** if I don’t like wearing a mask, nor should they. They have enough to worry about at this time, like not dying.

So just do your part, everyone. At this point the mask is as much about protecting you from others as it is protecting others FROM you. It’s a two-way street. So out of respect, please everyone just suck it up. I know it blows. But with everything else going on in the world right now, the mild inconvenience of a mask shouldn’t be something we’re THIS upset about.

7. cheer36mom

cheer36mom I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I am going to respond to you because your post about the flu not being as serious as corona is just as uneducated as the others and I have no weigh in on the whole mask argument but what I can tell you is my 5 year old healthy happy niece with absolutely no underlying medical conditions died from the flu and solely from the flu. She died in my arms at my home as we tried to give her CPR waiting for the ambulance to arrive . People need to stop comparing diseases every disease is serious in its own way and every disease affects every person differently. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Corona many have not I personally know a few people who have had it and had very mild symptoms including a few of the doctors and residents that I work with. Mind you they still got it while wearing full PPE so just stop all the back and forth because it’s really getting ridiculous. Also I can tell you that a woman I work with had a family member pass away in a bad car accident and when doing the autopsy they discovered they were Covid positive and guess what the sole cause of death was labeled on the report it was Covid the family is furious and has been working with the medical examiner’s office to change it so just a thought maybe the numbers we are seeing aren’t exactly what we think

8. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Florida is a sh*tshow, and i predict another massive state shutdown in the near future. And im shocked that the NBA still thinks its a good idea to have games to kick off the season in orlando.

9. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It's funny. A few weeks ago, I posted in this thread about a gym stunting without masks and posting it on social media. Someone replied to me that they applauded that gym. I'm very very very glad to see the tone has changed here. I honestly wish varsity would just say this is a learning and tumbling season and that there will be no comps held. It would keep the risky behavior to a minimum and it would keep kids from being sad about losing their season when it happens in January. I'd love to see a season happen, I just really don't see how that's going to happen unless it's all done virtually.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. HeatUniqueJ

HeatUniqueJ Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    What blows my mind everytime i go on social media is how some gyms seem to be 100% back to their normal routine, going to out of town camps and stunting like nothing has ever happened. Crazy to me honestly.

Germany was one of the first countries to have numbers go up big time. We have had to wear masks for months now, we are just now slowly starting to loosen up in different areas. Cheerleading not being one of them in my state as of right now. We can not stunt, spot or anything that does not guarantee the 6 foot distance.

As hard as it is for our athletes and our gym, the measures that were taken by the government have been working. Numbers keep going down and we do see positive results. I hope this continues.

My boyfriend lives in the US, last time we have seen each other was in January. And as of right now we might not be able to see each other at all this year. The fact that people still don't take this seriously makes me angry. I know our problems seem ridiculous compared to the heartbreak families have to face by losing loved ones. But it is still a consequence of reckless behavior and ignorance displayed by so many. Covid is real and it affects SO MANY people in SO MANY ways.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  11. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree 100%. My state was one if the hardest And earliest hit and we are now opening back up but we still have new cases daily- just not extreme like before.
    But other states cases are now rising daily. And with all the various state restrictions how can we have a competitive season? In NJ you cant fill a convention center. You can’t even eat in a restaurant....And isn’t FL peaking again?

12. molls

molls I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    I would think that a big part of the season not being officially cancelled is that I bet a LOT of those venue contracts won't budge on cancellations without the country/state officially telling them, "you cannot host an event with this many people on this date." A lot of EPs sign multi year contracts or were searching for venue space before this hit. I'm sure Varsity is also really hoping that their staff, judges, everyone can continue their jobs this year. Safety first, but I'm sure they also want to hold out to see if they can keep their staff working and getting paid.

13. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think a ANOTHER part of it has to do with the HOPE of a return to normalcy. I think more than anything EVERYONE is wanting these kids to have some sense of having something to return to.
    This has to be so hard on our youth. All of this...
    Scared for your health, scared for your future, world looks nothing like it used to, don’t see friends family, teammates like you used to, don’t have your hobbies or outlets...
    I know 3- THREE young adults who have committed suicide since COVID ... I can’t imagine how some people feel right now. I don’t know how these KIDS are possibly dealing

14. cac4life

cac4life Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thank you for understanding. As a teen, it is very very very hard, and I feel like people just don't get it. Thank you for your understanding. As someone who had anxiety depression before all of this happen, it has been incredibly hard on me mentally with all this, And people think that you're just being selfish for wanting normal back. Cheer is what has saved me, and when it is taken away, its so hard

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I’m so sorry - please take one day at a time- You are absolutely not selfish. One day... hopefully very soon- I hope to hear of you reaching a goal and meeting a milestone ... I hope you understand you WILL have your sport back some day. Also understand, coach to athlete... your value exceeds your sport but your sport brings you valuable experience...
    Stay motivated,
    Stay focused,
    know that this time is only a transition and transitions are opportunities to grow-
    Know that your feelings are valid- And you WILL get THROUGH this and when you do... your joys will be greater and your victories will be sweeter!

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List