All-Star Crossovers - Yay Or Nay?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thanks to a stacked team I had to have a VERY uncomfortable conversation with my young cp. She and her team had been going against one team all season and had beat them everytime. All of a sudden at one comp the other team grew in numbers and physical size. They won. And my little cp, whose team hit perfectly both days, asked why they put all those new kids on the other team. She announced it was cheating and I had to explain that it wasn't. Being the stubborn child she is she announced that IT WAS CHEATING just like eating a grape at the market was stealing. Liked her analogy hating having her already see the shortcomings in the sport she loves with all her heart. If a 9 year old can figure it out why can't the adults?
How about a team that changes personnel between Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday they had about half throwing standing handsprings and 5 specialty passes (I was scoring the division myself which is the only reason I caught this) and they were fractionally ahead of us in first place (we had a fall, they hit clean)...on Sunday, imagine my surprise when only 5 kids now don't have a standing handspring and there are 16 specialty passes. If they didn't change people I'd like to new what kind of breakfast cereal produces that kind of tumbling overnight.

They won, we finished second.

I know what you mean. If all but 3 or 4 of the members of a team cross over to another team, of the same level or a level 4, then what is the need for the second team?
I will be the bad guy who brings this up because I already did in the other thread sort of, but a level 5 team has 23 athletes listed and all but 4 of those athletes cross over to other level 5 teams, majority worlds teams. They can do what they please because it isn't illegal, but what is the reason of having that team? I am like you lakerfantlc in that I want to understand the reason and thinking behind having a team with that many crossovers.

*As I said in the other thread where I sort of brought this up this is nothing against that team because it is probably one of the few that I am truly excited to see this coming season because of all the talent that is on it.
you’re not the bad guy...stating the truth doesn’t make you bad...I just wonder with so many kids...why so many crossovers? But..it is what it is...and it is legal so we go forward and do our best...right?....:) Im sure they will be amazing to see.

How about a team that changes personnel between Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday they had about half throwing standing handsprings and 5 specialty passes (I was scoring the division myself which is the only reason I caught this) and they were fractionally ahead of us in first place (we had a fall, they hit clean)...on Sunday, imagine my surprise when only 5 kids now don't have a standing handspring and there are 16 specialty passes. If they didn't change people I'd like to new what kind of breakfast cereal produces that kind of tumbling overnight.

They won, we finished second.

I'd rather lose than change the whole routine over night. Ish. Way too much work.

I think the worst is yet to come. Its called the Summit in Orlando. They need to put some kind of crossover rules in affect for this competition. Teams will be stacking away with their CPs from Worlds teams.Even teams with large amounts of crossovers. Isn't it going to be strange when these crossover crazed gyms march almost the same kids out on the floor for 2 or 3 divisions.
I think there needs to be a rule period that states athletes on Worlds teams cannot compete on any other team from their gym in any other competition.

I think there needs to be a rule for the Summit that you may only compete on 1 team. By doing this you are forcing kids, coaches, parents and gyms to choose which team cp the wonder cheerleader needs to be on. And then you don't run into quite as much stacking. I am sure there will still be some, but hopefully it won't be out of control.

we have always had crossovers. our gym is a decent size but we did need them on some teams. well this year our goal was to not have any on our levels 3, 4 & 5 because we wanted to bring these teams to NCA. we did manage to do it - so Dallas - here we come!:)

CP once competed in J2 division against a team from MD and came in second. Was totally flabbergasted when I counted 3/4 of that same MD J2 team then compete on a J4, all with layouts and standing tucks...Really?

Other pet peeve... teams that compete ie. level 2 at one competition with fine skills then compete level 1 at another... OK I get it if you've got crummy skills and just can't make it at the level you started out in and realize your mistake but switching just for the sake of winning or dropping a level because you are going up against a bigger or more skilled gym, as Hi! It's Me 's CP said it's cheating.

Needs to be a limit as to who many levels a crossover can cross (like 1) and No world's team athletes crossing over to non-worlds teams.

I think crossovers are bad, unless necessary. I was placed on senior 5, and then asked to cross down to senior 3 because they needed more strong bases. I agreed due to the fact that I'm really only a level 3 tumbler! so I'm not really that much of an advantage!

i coach at an extremely small gym. we have 3 teams.
Small mini 1: 8 kids
Small junior 1: 16 kids
Small senior 2: 16 kids
we have 3 crossovers total. two minis (age 7) cross to junior 1, and one junior (age 14) cross to senior 2. the only way we allow cross overs is if they want to cross. we never ask for crossovers to build a team. i would rather have my level appropriate teams that are extremely small, win a comp, rather than stacking a team to win.

What, crossovers ? who has them?

Oh wait not us!!:) I don't think we have even 1.
But SheCheers can confirm that for us!

However, my cp was a crossover last year (at a different gym) and she loved it and it was a great experience. We didn't have many at first only my daughter and 1 other but she quit before the 1st competition but because people kept quitting I'm pretty sure we ended with
4 mini 1 kids crossing to youth 2
1 youth 2 kid crossed to Jr 3
1 jr 3 crossed to Sr coed 4
3 jr 3 crossed to Sr 2
& 1 Sr 2 kid started with nothing and got her standing tuck and layout by the 1st competition so after that they allowed her to cross to Sr coed 4 and that was amazing because of how fast she got her tumbling skills!

So we started with 2 crossovers and lost 1 of them and gained 9 more for a program of 100. So that's only 10% so not to bad. Only 1 of them crossed more then 1 level and that's because she was a beast and worked her way up in just a few months!!:)

So I think It can be done within reason and if you really need to fill a team out so you can have that extra stunt or whatever then to me that's ok!

But The kids on the level 5 team where all but 4 are crossing to a worlds team from jr 5 is ridiculous. Your at at least 75% crossovers what a joke!!!

I understand the necessity of being a small gym and wanting to be competitive. A "gym" not far from where we live, has a few talented 8 and 9 year olds with strong 3/4 skills. They can no longer be on a senior 3 team but the gym does not really have enough skills to form a competitive Jr. 3 team. What to do? What to do?

Well, that small gym does not want to lose those few talented 8 and 9 year olds with fab skills and who can blame them? Will those mom's be happy with their previously Sr. 3/4 cheerleaders having to be on a Jr. 2 team? Nope, they will look else here.

Solution: Cross-over your entire Jr. 2 team to Jr. 3 or 4 to support the few level 3/4 cheerleaders so they don't look else where. Will they be competitive? Probably not but it will buy that gym another year with those level 3/4 skilled cheerleaders...umm maybe. Next year is a new year....some of those athletes will turn 10 making them eligible for Sr's again.

What I DONT understand is why a program with 250-500 or more athletes would find it necessary to crossover LARGE amounts of athletes. I really am bewildered. I am guessing they want to win... to hang on to "up and coming" talent but it does seem a huge un- fair advantage.

I think the worst is yet to come. Its called the Summit in Orlando. They need to put some kind of crossover rules in affect for this competition. Teams will be stacking away with their CPs from Worlds teams.Even teams with large amounts of crossovers. Isn't it going to be strange when these crossover crazed gyms march almost the same kids out on the floor for 2 or 3 divisions.
I thought the same thing when I was reading the thread on it a little while ago. It really stinks for teams that are on their true level who work their butts off all season to get shut out by a stacked team. Come on, really? The worlds team kids get to go to worlds already. Please don't steal the thunder from the other kids who might not ever get to experience it. I know there should be a rule, but shouldn't there also be common sense and decency? Really. :banghead:

The longer I've been an all-star parent, the crankier crossovers make me. I've seen it when it's for that one "special" cp who needs to be challenged on a team above her peer's team to a higher level team. I've seen it where coaches have done it to appease parents and then don't reprimand the kids when they no longer want to make an effort on the lower team. I've seen it where half the gym is part of a second team just so the second team can exist. I've seen it where a kid truly just loves to cheer and will take the opportunity and work hard at any and every team they are placed on regardless of the level. I personally took a stand against my cp double dipping as we call it because I felt not enough could be devoted to either team especially at competitions when the teams were competing too closely together and there was no recovery time in between.

What bothers me though is when kids who are on Level 4 or 5 teams are then also cheering for level 2 teams. I really feel there should be some universal rule made about athletes not being able to cheer up or down more than one level, and if they are on a Worlds team they should not be allow to crossover at all to a lower level, even a level 4. Imho.

We were at a competition where there was 2 comp floors. It was a Sr 2 group. We finished and had to wait 1/2 hour because most of another teams level "2" was at awards WINNING level 5. They competed and of course won. Why a coach, moms and competitors would feel happy, accomplished and proud of winning that? I wouldn't! There is a HUGE diference between 2 and 5. That is like our 3 competing at 1! There should definitely be a crossover limit.

I thought the same thing when I was reading the thread on it a little while ago. It really stinks for teams that are on their true level who work their butts off all season to get shut out by a stacked team. Come on, really? The worlds team kids get to go to worlds already. Please don't steal the thunder from the other kids who might not ever get to experience it. I know there should be a rule, but shouldn't there also be common sense and decency? Really. :banghead:

Oh come on, that's so three seasons ago :rolleyes:

J/k ;)

Back