All-Star Dealing With Tumbling Fears Or Blocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2014
Hello!
This is Coach Sara and I'm a Mental Toughness Trainer. I help cheerleaders work through fears and blocks on tumbling (and stunting) and hope to be a resource for anyone who's dealing with this. Fears and blocks can be challenging and frustrating to work through, so I thought I'd check in to see what people's experiences have been like and possibly give a few thoughts and point toward other resources when needed. One way to begin to work through a fear is to lock down the mind by using key words. What this means is to come up with short, rhythmic words that you use every time you do the skill- usually the cues are how you execute, but could be counting, or encouragers. For example, for a back handspring, your key words might be sit-jump-reach-snap. Think about finding words that work with the rhythm of the skill and use them EVERY TIME!
If you have any other questions or want to learn more about me and the work I do before posting, you can also visit HeadGames WebCamp - Home
Thanks!

Last edited:
Im transitioned to hs cheer and I cheered for Sr. level three for all star. I just cant seem to throw a tuck on the dead mat (running tuck). Its not as much fear as it is just thinking I cant do it because there are no springs. Any tips??

Im transitioned to hs cheer and I cheered for Sr. level three for all star. I just cant seem to throw a tuck on the dead mat (running tuck). Its not as much fear as it is just thinking I cant do it because there are no springs. Any tips??
Sorry for the slow response! I didn't get an alert! It seems like you need to take control of the thinking that says you can't do it. When you notice that you're thinking that you can't do it, tells yourself to stop and then try to start telling yourself things like "I can do it....it will feel different, but I've got this...I've done XX tucks in my life, I've got this..." Do this whenever you start thinking the "can't" thoughts whether you're at cheer or not. If you're talking to friends or coaches, make sure you use positive language- instead of "I can't do it" try "I'm working on it" or "It's different, but I can do it." Hopefully if you can change the way you're thinking, you'll go for it. Let me know how it goes!

Sorry for the slow response! I didn't get an alert! It seems like you need to take control of the thinking that says you can't do it. When you notice that you're thinking that you can't do it, tells yourself to stop and then try to start telling yourself things like "I can do it....it will feel different, but I've got this...I've done XX tucks in my life, I've got this..." Do this whenever you start thinking the "can't" thoughts whether you're at cheer or not. If you're talking to friends or coaches, make sure you use positive language- instead of "I can't do it" try "I'm working on it" or "It's different, but I can do it." Hopefully if you can change the way you're thinking, you'll go for it. Let me know how it goes!
Thanks! Ill try it!

hey there! I just got my bhs like 2 weeks ago and suddenly I can't do it all anymore, not even on the tumble track. I've been putting so much pressure on myself so I think that maybe why. but point is i fluke every time. please help!

hey there! I just got my bhs like 2 weeks ago and suddenly I can't do it all anymore, not even on the tumble track. I've been putting so much pressure on myself so I think that maybe why. but point is i fluke every time. please help!
Hi! I know it's so frustrating when this happens and you're right, adding pressure makes it harder. A couple things to remember: you've done it before so you will do it again. Also, since this is a new skill, it's more common to feel like you can't do it because you don't have the muscle memory yet. I'd suggest going back to drills and basics to build up your confidence and comfort again with doing the skill. Try not to stress about this- sometime we have to go backward to go forward. And, anytime you're thinking or talking about your BHS, make sure you're thinking positively and reminding yourself things like you will do it, you're working on it, and you're making progress every day. Try not to focus on the worries- that will just make it harder for you! Let me know how that goes for you.

Back