All-Star Decrease In Worlds Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe the NCAA foots the bill. At least they did back in 2005 when I cheered at a game with a 13 seed? From the chartered plane to the hotel to the stipend they gave cheer/dance/pep band.... all NCAA ....
They still do. I cheered last year at the Women's NCAA and they paid for everything including giving us a decent amount of money for food every day....which I may or may not have spent partly on an LSU t-shirt & sweatshirt.
:wasntme:

They still do. I cheered last year at the Women's NCAA and they paid for everything including giving us a decent amount of money for food every day....which I may or may not have spent partly on an LSU t-shirt & sweatshirt.
:wasntme:

I spent mine at Forever 21 when they took us to the mall.

Another girl I cheered with spent it on her cell phone bill.

I agree that there are too many bids, but in the US. Up in Canada, some area have plenty of bids and others have not enough. We're doing ok in the East (Ontario/Quebec) - good teams are going and there is competition. I know in the west, there are very few bids and a lot of good teams up and coming. They're going to be super short bids in the next year or two if they don't get more.

In terms of teams placing last, I know the first time I went to Worlds, I was just amazed I got to go. 3-4 years later, I want to make finals every year. The experience isn't there for me anymore. I want to do better. I want Nations Cup and a chance at placing. But that's having gone so many times now.

We've also seen many teams in our club who are amazing at home, go to bigger/American competitions and get destroyed. It's actually great for our kids as they come back wanting to learn more and do more. They realize what they need to do to get better and get to that level and it can be a high motivator for them. There is a team from my area going to Worlds for the first time. They are going to get creamed. And they are so excited to just be there and experience it, and I am so excited to them to go. They are going to learn a lot and be a better team next year because of it. For a lot of teams, the experience is what is going to motivate them to get to the next level

I agree that there are too many bids, but in the US. Up in Canada, some area have plenty of bids and others have not enough. We're doing ok in the East (Ontario/Quebec) - good teams are going and there is competition. I know in the west, there are very few bids and a lot of good teams up and coming. They're going to be super short bids in the next year or two if they don't get more.

In terms of teams placing last, I know the first time I went to Worlds, I was just amazed I got to go. 3-4 years later, I want to make finals every year. The experience isn't there for me anymore. I want to do better. I want Nations Cup and a chance at placing. But that's having gone so many times now.

We've also seen many teams in our club who are amazing at home, go to bigger/American competitions and get destroyed. It's actually great for our kids as they come back wanting to learn more and do more. They realize what they need to do to get better and get to that level and it can be a high motivator for them. There is a team from my area going to Worlds for the first time. They are going to get creamed. And they are so excited to just be there and experience it, and I am so excited to them to go. They are going to learn a lot and be a better team next year because of it. For a lot of teams, the experience is what is going to motivate them to get to the next level
This is exactly what I am hoping happens with cp's gym. It is their first time going and chances are quite high they are not competing past Saturday, but I am hoping they (and the coaches) take in the whole experience and come back with a new and better perspective on things as well as the direction they want to take for the future.

This is exactly what I am hoping happens with cp's gym. It is their first time going and chances are quite high they are not competing past Saturday, but I am hoping they (and the coaches) take in the whole experience and come back with a new and better perspective on things as well as the direction they want to take for the future.

I have been blessed to do this with two different programs (one high pressure, the other low pressure) and I can tell you from my experience it DID change the athletes and parents perspective. It no longer became the coaches telling them how good/hard other programs worked. So many times that truthfully goes in one ear and out the other. It no longer became watching it on youtube and not being connected to it. or fangirling and not appreciating the work that it took to get there. They saw it all first hand for themselves. Eyes wide open. They couldn't avoid it. Everywhere they looked there was another simply jaw dropping team practicing, in warm ups, etc. Every team was amazing - even teams that didn't make the cut. Those athletes came back home and busted their rear ends not to get back to Worlds for a vacation or an experience. They did it because they wanted to be competitive, have a better showing than last time, to hit their routine in front of the cheerleading world so to speak. And as coaches our job was made a little bit easier.

We go to Worlds every year, with little hope of making finals, because it actually gives us a chance to compete against other teams. Both worlds bid comps we went to this year we were the only ones in our division. Even at NCA this year, there were only 2 teams in IOC6. Plus it's a travel comp to a warm location. If we didn't go to Worlds we'd probably go to some other travel beach comp. Our younger teams went to Orlando this year.

Like others have said, Worlds means different things to different teams. I'm not against lowering the number of bids (it makes my job a little bit easier!) but I also don't really have a problem with the numbers we have now - as long as we have a venue big enough to support all those teams. Worlds is 3 days long, most of the teams that have no business being there are done after day 1. So there's still two days of excellent competition with excellent teams. Prelims are like the wild card round in the NCAA tournament, or early round matches in tennis. There are lots of professional tennis players who know they have no hope of making it past the first round of a grand slam - there are rarely upsets in tennis. They pay a lot of money to travel across the world to participate in a grand slam - and lots of other tournaments - but they would never turn down the opportunity to say they played at Wimbledon!

There's a gym near us that is going to Worlds for the first time this year. Last year some of their kids went to watch with their coach. It fueled a fire under them and they were able to get a bid this year (formerly a restricted team). It means the world to them to get the chance to go. Seeing their excitement about going - something that my team at this point takes for granted - is really special.

Last edited:
This is our 3rd year going, the first year we had a worlds team we did not think no way we would go. We did the best routine that we could have and placed 24 out if 41, last year we were 17 th. Our goal is to place higher each year. We might have a slight chance to move on IF we hit perfect. It is amazing going to Worlds even if moving into day 2 is not given or expected!
We have definitely seen teams who get bids that should not go though after seeing them compete.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

could someone please clarify. I am looking a a schduled for a competition giving out world bids this weekend it appears that only 9 teams do not have bids and they are giving 9 at large bids. Does that mean that those 9 teams will be basically "handed" an at large bid regardless of their placing? If that is the case, then I hope the decrease in bids next year elminates thats. It does not seem right to just "hand" a team a bid.

could someone please clarify. I am looking a a schduled for a competition giving out world bids this weekend it appears that only 9 teams do not have bids and they are giving 9 at large bids. Does that mean that those 9 teams will be basically "handed" an at large bid regardless of their placing? If that is the case, then I hope the decrease in bids next year elminates thats. It does not seem right to just "hand" a team a bid.

Yes. It's not the first time it's happened. I think last year at NCA and UCA they had more bids than teams.

Latest posts

Back