Did Age Divisions Change?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 19, 2018
We've heard a ton of rumors regarding age changes, especially regarding Worlds. Is it true that Worlds is now 13+ and (normal) senior teams still 10 and up?

Haven't seen anything official, just curious since we've seen some differing comments on social media.

It's been out for awhile. Senior Worlds is 13 and up, Senior 1-r5 is 11 and up.

It's been out for awhile. Senior Worlds is 13 and up, Senior 1-r5 is 11 and up.
It is disappointing for my daughter who misses the cut off by 9 days and has had level 5 skills for 2 years now. There are rumors that the age grid will change again next year making it 14 for senior level worlds teams. I hope this is not so because my daughter will be in high school and still unable to compete at the worlds level. I understand increasing the age to allow high school age kids to compete but when it cuts out girls who are in high school it’s just unfair, especially when they have those skills.

It is disappointing for my daughter who misses the cut off by 9 days and has had level 5 skills for 2 years now. There are rumors that the age grid will change again next year making it 14 for senior level worlds teams. I hope this is not so because my daughter will be in high school and still unable to compete at the worlds level. I understand increasing the age to allow high school age kids to compete but when it cuts out girls who are in high school it’s just unfair, especially when they have those skills.

I would be disappointed if I was in your shoes, but feel the positives out way the negatives.

As crazy as it sounds, she may be eligible for the Open 5 and International World 5 teams. They use a different calendar year.

Last edited:
I would be disappointed if I was in your shoes, but feel the positives out way the negatives.

As crazy as it sounds, she may be eligible for the Open 5 and International World 5 teams. They use a different calendar year.
Why is Open 5 using a different calendar year if it’s not in the international division? I really feel that division should be 17+. Let the IO kids move over into that division once they’ve aged out of a senior team rather than international.

Why is Open 5 using a different calendar year if it’s not in the international division? I really feel that division should be 17+. Let the IO kids move over into that division once they’ve aged out of a senior team rather than international.

Just the messenger. My guess is they can make more money by keeping it open to 14 years and up. Currently, you are eligible for both Open 5 and International 5 if you are 14 years old by December 31st 2019.

Just the messenger. My guess is they can make more money by keeping it open to 14 years and up. Currently, you are eligible for both Open 5 and International 5 if you are 14 years old by December 31st 2019.
Lol you’re the mom of a world champ, you’re bullet proof now :)! It’s all so ludicrous to me. Thank goodness no longer my monkey or my circus.

Lol you’re the mom of a world champ, you’re bullet proof now :)! It’s all so ludicrous to me. Thank goodness no longer my monkey or my circus.

You are too sweet! Thank you. Three years left and I am counting them down. LOL Although, CP has recently informed me she wants to Cheer at Navarro or TVCC while cheering on CA Wildcats or SOT Reign. But, three years sounds good to me. So, I am sticking to that. LOL

Last edited:

Not a rumor. It most likely will happen. I'm sorry for your daughter, but it really is best for the industry as a whole. She'll still have 3 years (4 if she super seniors) to experience Worlds. This will probably help with burn out, also. Hope you enjoy the season!

Not a rumor. It most likely will happen. I'm sorry for your daughter, but it really is best for the industry as a whole. She'll still have 3 years (4 if she super seniors) to experience Worlds. This will probably help with burn out, also. Hope you enjoy the season!

What makes it best for the industry? And it will be the same level burnout because she will still be competing level 5 but just not a worlds team. I pray that they reconsider that. There shouldn’t be any division at the high school level. In all other sports high schoolers compete in the same category grades 9-12

There shouldn’t be any division at the high school level
Well it does sound as if your cp is in the minority and the vast majority are 14 by freshmen year. how about moving the age date from August31 to December 31, so 14 by December 31? I would be for that...

What makes it best for the industry? And it will be the same level burnout because she will still be competing level 5 but just not a worlds team. I pray that they reconsider that. There shouldn’t be any division at the high school level. In all other sports high schoolers compete in the same category grades 9-12
Because generally HS kids are 14-18. I know there are exceptions. My daughter is one.
There are very few J5 teams in the country. SR5 is more common, but I've noticed that the pressure isn't as high on them overall as on a World's team. I've known many kids who loved cheer quit after a few years on a World's team because the mental and physical pressure was too much.

You will see more and more gyms create Worlds teams for to accommodate the largest age range possible, as that has been trending for the last couple of years. If an athlete is turning 13 in 2018, then he or she can compete on a Worlds team this season.

You will see more and more gyms create Worlds teams for to accommodate the largest age range possible, as that has been trending for the last couple of years. If an athlete is turning 13 in 2018, then he or she can compete on a Worlds team this season.

Yes, saw that coming. They really need to raise open 5 and international 5 ages to at least be older than Senior 5.

Back