High School Different Team Reveals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

List posted on the office door so no one knows specific names. Also always on a Friday afternoon so you have the weekend to celebrate if they made it/get over the emotions if they don't.

Since I've stopped coaching they've gotten more active on social media, so I believe they post it there and online now instead of at the school.

This glitter idea, while being lovely for the kids who made the team, sounds completely awful for the kids being cut. :( i much prefer a private announcement.
Nice way to put this. I didn't mean to sound so harsh as I am sure everyone's heart is in the right place and they want to make it fun for the new team. I just had a flash back to one very disappointed volleyball player sophomore year and how hard that was for her.

If I remember correctly @MHSCheercoach has a small team that consists of kids who all have gone to school together for awhile and who know each other really well, which is why it might work for her.

If I even attempted glitter balloons, we wouldn't make it out alive. Chaos would ensue.

ETA: And I think the Facebook and Instagram posts that college teams do are after the announcement has been made to the kids trying out. At least I hope so! How fun would it be to be tagged on a result list that you AREN'T in?

Last edited:
We made red velvet cupcakes (school colors) and wrapped them with a cheer bow attached to the top. Then we attached a glitter and confetti filled balloon with a poem inside telling them what team they made. We delivered them at like 4 am when the girls were sleeping so they would wake up to them. The girls loved them... We also posted later that night on the website.

If I remember correctly @MHSCheercoach has a small team that consists of kids who all have gone to school together for awhile and who know each other really well, which is why it might work for her.

To me this would make it worse.

ETA I also think I'd flip if someone dumped glitter on me... Lol Glitter is permanent! (and if it was my poor daughter, she'd be so sad, because I definitely would not let her in my car or my house until it was gone!)

Just held tryouts on Friday and decided to announce by showering them in glitter. lol Each girl held a black balloon above their head. Myself, my graduating senior, and the new coach walked by and popped each balloon. If they were showered in glitter then they made it. The girls loved it!!

In the past I have announced by cards, announcing it as a group, and also calling in girls individually to let them know. I've never had anyone be hurt. When girls haven't made it the others usually surround them with hugs and all.

Love the video!! Super cute idea!!
I love this! But I'd be so sad if everyone else were covered in glitter and I were just standing there with nothing on me...

My school posts a list on the dance room door with the numbers of who made it. My coach also sends an individual email to each girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not cheer, but here's what I do for my field hockey kiddos: we have one week of double sessions, and a week of practices plus a Jamboree during preseason. Everyone makes the team itself so no one is getting cut per se, but we decide who makes varsity/jv. At the last session of doubles, we hand out one varsity pinnie (all varsity players practice during the season in Pinnies. Jv doesn't get them). This first one usually goes to a senior, but last year we gave it to a freshman which was fun. Anyways, during the week of single practices, we give out the rest of the Pinnies to what will be our varsity team. The kids seem to like it, we certainly haven't had any complaints! They know how many Pinnies we're starting the week off with, and once they see those numbers dwindling during the week, they know if they want to make varsity they better start busting their butts.

Granted, the other coach and I know pretty much going in who were taking, but the pinnie thing has been a good motivator for us. I can't see an email or phone call working for us. If it were a cheer team, maybe they could use bows or something instead of Pinnies, but that's also depends on how long tryouts are and all that.

Not cheer, but here's what I do for my field hockey kiddos: we have one week of double sessions, and a week of practices plus a Jamboree during preseason. Everyone makes the team itself so no one is getting cut per se, but we decide who makes varsity/jv. At the last session of doubles, we hand out one varsity pinnie (all varsity players practice during the season in Pinnies. Jv doesn't get them). This first one usually goes to a senior, but last year we gave it to a freshman which was fun. Anyways, during the week of single practices, we give out the rest of the Pinnies to what will be our varsity team. The kids seem to like it, we certainly haven't had any complaints! They know how many Pinnies we're starting the week off with, and once they see those numbers dwindling during the week, they know if they want to make varsity they better start busting their butts.

Granted, the other coach and I know pretty much going in who were taking, but the pinnie thing has been a good motivator for us. I can't see an email or phone call working for us. If it were a cheer team, maybe they could use bows or something instead of Pinnies, but that's also depends on how long tryouts are and all that.

What is a pinnie? I'm assuming its not money.

What is a pinnie? I'm assuming its not money.
Lol definitely not money. Although that may be more of a motivator for some of them!

This is a pinnie. It just a mesh tank top type thing. Think of what you picture a stereotypic lax bro wearing. Where I coach, almost all of the fall (varsity) teams have them, and then boys and girls lax. (don't have a pic of ours, but you get the idea)
b3f1c34e35981e90ef130a1d469c983f.jpg

Sorry if that's huge!

To me this would make it worse.

ETA I also think I'd flip if someone dumped glitter on me... Lol Glitter is permanent! (and if it was my poor daughter, she'd be so sad, because I definitely would not let her in my car or my house until it was gone!)

Trust me, in a school of less than 100 kids, everyone knows who makes it nearly instantly. Even if I posted numbers, everyone would still know whose number was what. It's that small. The times that I've had to cut girls, they preferred being told with their friends. At least then they had some consoling from the people that matter the most. I have never had a group of girls, and trust me I've asked, that said they would prefer it to be a private revealing. To each their own I suppose.

As for the glitter, we're cheerleaders, glitter runs in our veins. When I mentioned the idea to the girls they all thought it would be awesome! They loved it and none of them minded being covered in glitter (but I did buy the larger more confetti like glitter)!!

Hmmm...my perspective is that from a much larger school, I guess. There were 30ish kids cut from cheer, I doubt my kid knew who most of them even are.

Eta: I only know one girl personally who was cut. I don't know how she feels about it, but her mom is incredibly angry. It's so awkward. :(

Hmmm...my perspective is that from a much larger school, I guess. There were 30ish kids cut from cheer, I doubt my kid knew who most of them even are.

Eta: I only know one girl personally who was cut. I don't know how she feels about it, but her mom is incredibly angry. It's so awkward. :(

Yeah. I have a large-ish high school team (around 25-27 girls.) I typically get about 40ish girls trying out. At least 5-10 girls are not making the team depending on the year. Trust me, they are upset. Throw in the occasional veteran, and they're really upset. When I did a public list posting, there were LOTS of tears.

Even when it was just numbers and no names, girls did know the occasional other girl's number and would ask "How did SHE make it?" and make it awkward for the girls standing around trying to celebrate.

My solution was to go to email. You can cry in the comfort of your home. You can celebrate in your own home. It works well.

In high school my coach wrote our numbers down and sat the paper on a table on one side of the room and made us line up on the opposite wall. She would leave and we'd all sprint to the paper to see if we made it.
College the coach just said everyone's names out loud. I didn't make it and I cried in front of everyone. So embarrassing. Definitely would have preferred an email.

Back