High School Different Team Reveals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hmmm...my perspective is that from a much larger school, I guess. There were 30ish kids cut from cheer, I doubt my kid knew who most of them even are.

Eta: I only know one girl personally who was cut. I don't know how she feels about it, but her mom is incredibly angry. It's so awkward. :(

Our middle school tryouts ended last Thursday. The coach made personal calls this past Friday. Last year they announced who made it right after. CP wasn't there for that part a year ago, she had Summit practice so did her school tryout the day before. We had 47 try out for the middle school team. I know they were taking between 20 and 25, so definitely not everyone was making it.

Watched FSU (Florida State University, Go Noles!!) today on Periscope. They announced on Periscope, too. Two athletes from our AS gym are rookies this year, one all girl, one coed. We all had fun Tweeting our congrats. We have five of our all star gym alum on there. Watching those tryouts, CP should be thankful she has a serious college sideline coach as a middle school coach this year. If she ends up deciding to cheer college, she is learning something from this middle school coach for sure. If the kids came out and went Wooo, she made them go back. No Wooing! :confused::oops:

When I was in high school we just all took a piece of paper and wrote down all the numbers with names while we were waiting in the locker room for try outs. that way we would know who made it when they posted the numbers. Honestly if your going to post it to a door you might as well do full names because we all know the numbers. Not to mention we all stood there while everyone showed up to look and it was obvious who made it and who didn't (those who would walk straight back to their cars)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My school district posts all the results on the district website. Only because all schools tryout on the same day

Two. My town pretty much revolves around dance so all three middle schools and two high schools in our district have at least one sizable dance room.

That's nice to see, most school dance teams don't seem to have that kind of support.

When I was in high school we just all took a piece of paper and wrote down all the numbers with names while we were waiting in the locker room for try outs. that way we would know who made it when they posted the numbers. Honestly if your going to post it to a door you might as well do full names because we all know the numbers. Not to mention we all stood there while everyone showed up to look and it was obvious who made it and who didn't (those who would walk straight back to their cars)

This is exactly what was going on when l did a posted list of numbers. They knew who was who (somewhat) so the numbers didn't do much in the way of keeping it anonymous.

I'd always do a "post and run" of the list, but the worst was that the parents would drive the kids up to the school to look at the list, then there would be upset kids and upset parents in the same space. Upset parent sees upset daughter surrounded by kids who made it, and she proceeds to call and leave not-so-nice voicemails on my school phone.

Too much! The kids and parents just fed off of each other.

Last edited:
In 8th/9th grade (both were in the Junior High) tryouts ended early Friday evening (around 4:30-5:30) and then at 7:30 (or something like that) you would come back to the school where you were handed a letter from one of the coaches that said if you did or didn't make the team. You weren't allowed to open the letter until you got to your (parent's) car.

In high school, the two years I tried out (10th and 11th grade) did the same thing as junior high did for the first round of tryouts, but instead of coaches handing out the letters it was graduating seniors. The first round just said that you were 95% likely to make A squad, but you didn't know which squad. You could still get cut but it was unlikely. For the second round, the coaches left and the graduating seniors had everyone sit in the gym and they called each person's name individually to get their letter. After you got your letter, you had to immediately leave the gym and you weren't allowed to open it until you got to the commons, but it was encouraged to go outside before opening the letter.

CP tried out for HS cheer this year. Tryouts were Friday night. In the past the coach would post a list on the gym door sometime during the weekend and send a text out that it was up. This year she posted a list, but the graduating seniors made posters and put them on the front doors of the girls who made it late Saturday night. The candidates would see the poster Sunday morning and know if they made it or not. At some point, someone posted a picture of the list of who made it on Instagram/Twitter. It was fun to take a picture of CP with her poster and now the poster is hanging in her room!

I think no matter how you try to announce a team, those who didn't make it will be upset and eventually everyone will know who made it and who didn't. I've coached 4 years and only 2 times did I ever cut anyone. Not because I'm such a nice coach that I don't want to hurt feelings, but because we work a bit differently being so small. In order to be considered for the team you must receive at least 70% of the possible score. So if the score is out of 1000, you have to receive 700 points. The two years I cut girls is because they didn't make the 70%. It didn't come down to so and so took your spot or made it over you. It is simply you didn't make the score. I don't know if it's that which helps alleviate the disappointment of not making it or the fact that it's a very small school. Either way I'm thankful that I never had anyone mad (parents or hopefuls) after tryouts.

Back