All-Star Difficulty Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A difficulty grid... It is just so....

original.gif

(ok I just really wanted a reason to use this animated GIF)

Those listed grids are a start, but they aren't nearly detailed enough, IMO.

I think there is a certain point in cheerleading where there is a "Creativity" part and to be honest, if it gets more detailed, watching a routine is going to be like watching compuslory things and get so boring and well, to be honest, there should be elements that score well, but really to look and see amount of bases, if everyone is being used, having options that can get you at max difficulty w/o every routine looking exactly the same to max out, is fine.

I judged levels 1 and 2 a few weeks ago, and no lie, I knew what was coming and honestly, it was so boring. ONE TEAM did a number of switch ups and 1/2 up variations, no fronts, had all the body positions, and well, they were awesome... they are the ONLY team that stuck out. All the routines already look the same, why make it worse... I think people are making it more complicated... I really do....

I think there is a certain point in cheerleading where there is a "Creativity" part and to be honest, if it gets more detailed, watching a routine is going to be like watching compuslory things and get so boring and well, to be honest, there should be elements that score well, but really to look and see amount of bases, if everyone is being used, having options that can get you at max difficulty w/o every routine looking exactly the same to max out, is fine.

I judged levels 1 and 2 a few weeks ago, and no lie, I knew what was coming and honestly, it was so boring. ONE TEAM did a number of switch ups and 1/2 up variations, no fronts, had all the body positions, and well, they were awesome... they are the ONLY team that stuck out. All the routines already look the same, why make it worse... I think people are making it more complicated... I really do....

How does making a difficulty grid affect creativity? Creativity and choreography could get the same percentage of the scoresheet that they do now.

I also get frustrated when people argue against codifying the difficulty because they think that either stifle creativity & variety, or make difficulty more important. Those can all be their own categories on the scoresheet and you can weight them however you wish. Difficulty is somewhat objective and measurable, and to avoid doing so seems silly to me.

To me the people that argue against it are those that can't effectively teach the hard skills and/or have no imagination for setting them up to stand out. I can think of a thousand different ways to get into an elevator. I bet you can think of a thousand and one. It's those that can't think of more than 3 ways that have issues with setting those skills. I can't remember the last time my level 1 team just did a basic elevator load in, heck, even a 1/4 up is basic now. Get creative people!

We have something like this in our Rulebook

Looks like this

difficulty.png

Makes it a little easier for us coaches to put skills into the routines and know how they can score

Throwing out an idea, loosely based on gymnastics and rock climbing difficulty. Have categories based on what is allowable at each level.
A = skills allowed in Level 1
B = skills who are NOT allowed at 1, but ARE allowed at 2, etc. . .

You could set up the grid to where some skills that are allowed at a level are actually harder than some of the skills allowed at the level above. An unassisted toss one arm liberty (L4 - D) is harder than a stretch double (L5 - E), for example.

You would then add the number onto the letter, with the number increasing as the difficulty gets higher.

D-1 = easiest allowable skill at level 4
D-9 = very difficult level 4 skill
D-10 = hardest skill in relatively common use (one and a half up to prep level?)

You could go even higher as someone came up with harder stuff than what is normally seen. D-11, D-12, etc.

I love this idea. I came from the gymnastics world and would love if cheer would adopt this. And it doesn't stifle creativity at all. They come up with new things in gymnastics all the time and push the envelop. We need something!!!

As you have discussed the code and possibilities of it being similar to artistic gymnastics code I thought I would throw how the acro code works as it is slightly different and would allow people to come up with new skills without having to necessarily submit them for a new point value. Any other acro coaches on here I am aware this is a very simplified overview on what on the face of it is a mental table of difficulty.

Each position is given a score, for the base and the flyer. These can be broken down and you have one table that shows base positions then another with flyer positions. You also have a separate table for transitions and give a certain score for any twists that are performed. For example a straight ball up to prep has a base score of 2, each 180* rotation gains a point so a ball up 360* would be worth 4 ( I am aware these are very low they are just to illustrate the point). You can also give a score for linking skills. This would allow coaches to expand and not be stuck with everyone doing the same skills as it would mean they can still be creative but don't have to give out their secret new skill before they compete. If a coach comes up with a brand new skill that is nothing like anything ever seen before then it would be submitted and given a score but the committee would not release the details of the skill until it had been competed at a national competition.

To me the people that argue against it are those that can't effectively teach the hard skills and/or have no imagination for setting them up to stand out.

So true! I think people that argue against it are also the people who field teams in inappropriate levels.

I think there are already compulsory skills. As a judge, I think it's incredibly difficult for a team to win if they aren't doing level-appropriate skills (e.g. a L3 team putting up torches). A difficulty grid makes it easier for judges and coaches to understand where their team is at and also to justify scores and placements in competition.

As for the argument that a difficulty grid stifles creativity? I don't think a difficulty grid will change much. L3 teams will still be doing basket fulls and pikes and toe-touches. Elite L5 teams will still be doing switch-kick doubles. The same things which enhance their creativity and difficulty now will still be doing it later.

How does making a difficulty grid affect creativity? Creativity and choreography could get the same percentage of the scoresheet that they do now.

B/c EVERY TEAM is going to max out difficulty and it's going to be worse then now watching the same routine over and over and over and over and over and over..... That's just my opinion... it's already bad enough. I can pretty much tell you the structure of any all star routine. That is lame. Again, just my opinion.

But to be honest, its like you know what's coming b/c people are trying to get as many tick tock, switch legs, full ups, body positions, etc which are appropriate for each level, dismounts entrances, exits, etc in this routine and you just know it's coming. That's all I am trying to say. So it gets BORING which means lacks creativity especially in stunting!

I think it is easier to have the level in a column instead of a row. I assume you want something like this that I just did for tosses.
Welcome to Google Docs

I was trying to figure out a way to separate the skills in each level. This would basically give each score a range. Then each EP could put the skill in the range that matches their score sheet.

Back