All-Star Difficulty Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

B/c EVERY TEAM is going to max out difficulty and it's going to be worse then now watching the same routine over and over and over and over and over and over..... That's just my opinion... it's already bad enough. I can pretty much tell you the structure of any all star routine. That is lame. Again, just my opinion.

But to be honest, its like you know what's coming b/c people are trying to get as many tick tock, switch legs, full ups, body positions, etc which are appropriate for each level, dismounts entrances, exits, etc in this routine and you just know it's coming. That's all I am trying to say. So it gets BORING which means lacks creativity especially in stunting!

That is a result of the scoring grid and scoresheets, not definitions of difficulty. Example: NCA essentially requires multiple jump sequences. CHEERSPORT & Jam Brands simply count up the number of level-specific elements, Worlds essentially requires synchronized tumbling sequences. Between all of the scoring systems you go to, you are forced to pack the routine with as many skill sections as you can to have a chance to succeed in your division.

The order of routines is determined more by fatigue and how it affects skills than anything else. The typical routine now is set up to best manage the athletes' energy and allow them to perform as many parts of the routine as possible. Some elements can be done when you are tired (dance), some cannot (elite standing tumbling).

If anything, I would argue that coaches' lack of being able to predict what their difficulty score will be leads to them packing as much stuff in as possible. Without knowing what any particular judge thinks is "sufficient" difficulty, you basically have to "over-do" it in order to be safe. If there were set difficulty requirements, then perhaps the total number of skills in routines could come down, and there would be more time for creative choreography/transitions/etc. Also, if athletes weren't being required to do as many skills, then injuries would go down and then the order of routine could be altered more.

I don't disagree, just saying MY OPINION :)

I also "think" (again MY OPINION) that things should be more synchro! :) And energy level.. ending w/ a dance is getting old.

I think it is easier to have the level in a column instead of a row. I assume you want something like this that I just did for tosses.
Welcome to Google Docs

I was trying to figure out a way to separate the skills in each level. This would basically give each score a range. Then each EP could put the skill in the range that matches their score sheet.

Whichever way makes it easier. That is along the lines of what I had pictured.

The tricky part (for me at least) is the fact that some skills allowed at some levels are actually more difficult than some of the skills allowable only at higher levels. In a perfect world, I would want to allow for that in the scoring. A team doing single base toss awesomes shouldn't have to worry about the fact that they haven't done any "level 5" skills on some of the score systems. The safety grid and the difficulty grid are NOT the same. (although we need both)

I don't disagree, just saying MY OPINION :)

I also "think" (again MY OPINION) that things should be more synchro! :) And energy level.. ending w/ a dance is getting old.

I do agree that seeing the same order over and over is boring.

I do agree that seeing the same order over and over is boring.

Me too, but as you have said...that doesn't change just because difficulty is defined and scored more accurately. WITHOUT the difficulty grid, routines all seem to follow similar formats. Creativity is lacking even now. Having a difficulty grid won't change routines...just make is easier to be judged!

I am 1000% in favor of this and this process. My concern is deciding on "what is what". I feel that there are TONS of summer meetings and it takes way too long for decisions to be made. So to have a difficulty grid and have it decided upon I feel needs to have a "Doral-ish" meeting where difficulty of each and every skill is determined.

As for the "creativity" that's continually discussed. I feel creativity is continuing to be pushed, BUT I feel our expectations have risen as well. I mean 3 years ago you win Worlds with a 1 1/2 up, now if you DON'T do it your behind. I feel creativity is relative. What's "creative" in the minds of some isn't "creative" in the minds of others.

Back