All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

a few girls on this team are on the show... I'm sure the series was filmed in the 2011-2012 season... so this must be one of the teams showcased on the show..
Youth Black?

Rushed routine, sloppy motions... blah choreography.

/watch?v=d5oc927tsac

a few girls on this team are on the show... I'm sure the series was filmed in the 2011-2012 season... so this must be one of the teams showcased on the show..
Youth Black?

Rushed routine, sloppy motions... blah choreography.

/watch?v=d5oc927tsac

The team in this video was a level 3.

I'm kind of looking at the show like this - it's a show about Moms, not cheer. It was never intended to educate about our sport, any more than Dance Moms educates about dance. It does show people that competitive cheer exists (no, some people don't know,) and may bring new talent to all star cheer.
And can someone make a gif out of that piledriver BHS so we can use it like the dorito chip scorp?

I think gym might actually be a nice gym but the show is doing nothing for it!

Apparently they showed the level 2s because that's what the network wanted. Basically cheer toddlers and tiaras. The tantrums and pushy moms bring in viewers. If they showed the level 5s & 6s then I'm guessing the show might be getting better reviews...or maybe not ;)

Exactly. I feel like the real world doesn't care about seeing REAL athletes actually doing great skills. TLC (not just them probably) thinks that the public only cares about the whinny little girls and drama mamas. I mean, yeah it's fun to watch for the public and for them to put our sport down and not actually know what goes behind our hard work. It's like only our cheer world wants to see on TV what goes on behind all of our hard work. No one else really cares because they DON'T know. That's our problem, I believe. We need to actually get people to know that "Cheer Perfection" is NOT how we are and this show is NOT helping us.
*Running on no sleep, probably don't make any sense, but if you do, please put it in simpler terms for the sake of everyone else*

Bottom line is that this was the age levels and the skills the network supposedly wanted. Most of them - parents and coach - were on Toddlers & Tiaras, they know how they were portrayed, they did not have an issue with it or would not have agreed to do this show. I do not think Alisha Dunlap seriously thought through how portratying this level and these parents would negatively affect their gym because she is obviously caught up and encourages the parent drama.

Because we are all so enmeshed in cheer world we think Cheer Imperfection is going to reach a much larger audience than it actually did. While it did absolutely nothing to dispell the negative stereotypes, IMHO most people are going to be focusing on the drama mamas and how they interact with and live vicariously through their own kids rather than on the standing tumbling aka forward roll segment.

The two things that seriously concerned me: (1) watching the kid with the bhs block being bullied into doing it even though she clearly was not ready, and (2) allowing the kid with the stress fracture in her spine return to tumbling to clearly appease the mom. I felt like they should have showed the mom giving the gym medical clearance from the doctor for her to return to tumbling before they allowed her to try out. And did she get injured during cheer to begin with from trying skills she was not ready for?

I have no problem with the show only showing youth 2. They work hard, just like everyone else. Just because their skills aren't as difficult overall as level 5, doesn't mean that they don't hustle just as much as level 4/5 to get to the next skill.

With that being said, I wonder how the head honchos up at USASF headquarters are feeling about it right now. It is blatantly obvious that they have become very image conscious as of late, and this doesn't really help with their agenda.

I'm confused why a jammed finger would prevent a child with a whip full from making a level 2 team....
Thank you, I was completely confused by this Youth Silver team...you need a backhandspring but girls are doing tucks, layouts and "half fulls" (whatever that's for) to make this team??? :help:

Also, some of my friends that don't have kids in cheer were comparing this to Dance Moms. Other than the Mom drama this is nothing like Dance Moms. The girls on Dance Moms are at a high level of dance and are really good for their age...it appears this Youth Silver team is a Level 2.

I'm still confused as to whether this was just a one-time special or if this is actually a weekly reality series. I checked TLC and it is not on the schedule for next week (thank the cheer gods).

I'm still confused as to whether this was just a one-time special or if this is actually a weekly reality series. I checked TLC and it is not on the schedule for next week (thank the cheer gods).
It's not on their list of shows either.. maybe it was just a pilot?
And after they tweeted "Did you love the premiere of #CheerPerfection tonight!? Give us a Y-E-S!" they certainly got a mouthful from the cheer community!

Back