All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Num1Stunta - I feel so much better :) Yes their is something to say about rural Arkansas not being to accepting. But, at one of my husbands work functions (Christmas party) their was a lesbian couple making out on the dance floor (it was well know they where a couple-their are gays in the south, even in the rural part). I do think the men at the Christmas party would have found it more exciting if they look liked Ann Heche and Portia de Rossi, it was more like Chaz and Roise (this was an adult employee get together). Know to bring this back to cheer: If it helps with your impression on the ignorance of the South, my daughters cheer coach is black(I think he cheers for CTR's level 6 team-just to add some drama to this -lol-) and his wife is white (thus their child is mix). Sad to say, I am sure their are people in this town that would use that has a excuse for their child not to cheer. I even had one mom tell me she thinks we cheer moms are snobs (her excuse to not her daughter cheer), that's another story, but it made me laugh. Really for a small gym in a small town I do think we have a great coach, but not everyone will look at the gym for that. You can't tell by looking at my daughter (profile pix) she is 1/4 Thai (I am 1/2, most think I am hispanic, Native American and even Eskimo - but then they are Native American's).

Sorry for the italics, I can't get it turn off. I've clicked the "I" at the top and tried :confused:

Your daughter cheers for TNT I'm guessing. You do have a good gym and coach. Definitely one of the top 3-4 gyms in the state IMO.

Does anyone know if they're going to carry on with the series? I've looked for a second episode and can't find one, and I need to know if Alana will ever make youth silver:rolleyes:

Yes they are carrying on with the series. Not sure when filming is started but I'm assuming some different teams will be featured as well.

I could barely get through reading that facebook post with all of the grammar mistakes.......:confused:

I feel the need to address a couple of things about this post. First, this was not a PR stunt. This post was made in response to some of the comments posted on Facebook and Twitter. There were some horrible comments made and a massive amount of tacky pictures posted. There were several CTR girls that were upset, and a couple that cried. Second, the post was made at 3am, the morning after the show originally aired. Maybe typing a message that long on your iphone isn’t a good idea. Yes, there are some opportunities around grammar and wording….blame it on the anger!
I’m new to the fierce board. Are the majority of the posts made by adults or adolescents? There are some comments posted on this thread that are extremely offensive. I was shocked to see that one of them came from a coach. Prejudice is DISGUSTING!

I leave you with this:
-I hope you got more from the message than just identifying the grammar opportunities.
-Be careful as you point out the faults of others. I found some grammar and tense shift opportunities in some of your posts as well.
-It’s never ok to bully or make fun of ANYONE.

-I hope you got more from the message than just identifying the grammar opportunities.
-Be careful as you point out the faults of others. I found some grammar and tense shift opportunities in some of your posts as well.
We clearly have different ideas of what bullying is. Quite frankly, I did have trouble getting through the facebook post with the grammar mistakes regardless of the situation. That is my opinion. It was posted on a social media site publicly, so there is bound to be criticism. If the gym intended for it to be private, the option for a gym email could have been utilized but unfortunately it wasn't. No one is perfect and we understand that on the boards, but when someone makes a mistake you can bet someone will call the post out on it. That call out is not in a nasty way but in a "Hey, just wanted to let you know that you made an error. I wanted to clarify" way. Criticism/Critiques over something public vs. making fun of individual minors does not equal the same thing. Part of putting yourself out there in the spotlight for fame and fortune is that not everyone is going to be a fan. I believe it's been made quite clear in this thread several times that it's unacceptable to make fun of the minors on this show, as it was the parent's choice, but that does not exclude the show or the gym from being critiqued because they are both now public (just like Dance Moms and ALDC).

We clearly have different ideas of what bullying is. Quite frankly, I did have trouble getting through the facebook post with the grammar mistakes regardless of the situation. That is my opinion. It was posted on a social media site publicly, so there is bound to be criticism. If the gym intended for it to be private, the option for a gym email could have been utilized but unfortunately it wasn't. No one is perfect and we understand that on the boards, but when someone makes a mistake you can bet someone will call the post out on it. That call out is not in a nasty way but in a "Hey, just wanted to let you know that you made an error. I wanted to clarify" way. Criticism/Critiques over something public vs. making fun of individual minors does not equal the same thing. Part of putting yourself out there in the spotlight for fame and fortune is that not everyone is going to be a fan. I believe it's been made quite clear in this thread several times that it's unacceptable to make fun of the minors on this show, as it was the parent's choice, but that does not exclude the show or the gym from being critiqued because they are both now public (just like Dance Moms and ALDC).

Wikipedia defines it as:
Cyberbullying is the use of the Internet and related technologies to harm other people, in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner

The “bullying” was in reference to the way the girls were treated after the show aired. I urge you to read some of the twitter postings about the girls and tell me it’s not cyber bullying.
I don’t think the Facebook post was aimed at the Fierce board. It was however aimed at those on Twitter and Facebook. You are right our team is out there and susceptible to critiques. For the record, I don’t have a problem with critiques or constructive criticism because they are great ways to identify opportunities and areas for improvements.

Someone posted this on Twitter:
“I know paraplegic monkeys who can do fwd. rolls better than that”

Where is the “critique” or constructive criticism in post like this?

I feel the need to address a couple of things about this post. First, this was not a PR stunt. This post was made in response to some of the comments posted on Facebook and Twitter. There were some horrible comments made and a massive amount of tacky pictures posted. There were several CTR girls that were upset, and a couple that cried. Second, the post was made at 3am, the morning after the show originally aired. Maybe typing a message that long on your iphone isn’t a good idea. Yes, there are some opportunities around grammar and wording….blame it on the anger!
I’m new to the fierce board. Are the majority of the posts made by adults or adolescents? There are some comments posted on this thread that are extremely offensive. I was shocked to see that one of them came from a coach. Prejudice is DISGUSTING!

I leave you with this:

I've got to say it. I can't take it anymore.

I've got to give it up to my fellow fierce boarders here. Perhaps being new you won't have seen the difference in this thread versus countless others. It is incredibly clear to me that the people posting in this thread are deliberately excercising restraint. Knowing many of them (as posters anyway) I am absolutely sure it's because they want to have an authentic discussion about what they are, and are not, in favor of regarding this show in a professional atmosphere. I think that's especially true where you are concerned because I see them choosing words carefully and using phraseology when responding with you that is clearly respectful of the fact you are associated with CTR.

What I don't see is the same level of respect on your side.

I take a breath every time I read one of your posts because I can feel the anger and resentment seeping through my screen. I fully expect youll be equally as upset with what I'm saying here, and I'm prepared for the response. But, speaking for myself...

...anytime I post something that may be controversial, not the norm, a dissenting opinion etc (which is what this board is about)...I probably read and edit it 23 times for my tone, word choice and netspeak (I.E. all caps etc.) before I post it because I want the message to be heard, in the most professional manner possible, without coming off like I'm angry or ranting. If I am choosing to rant, I'll disclose that at the beginning.

You are new to the board so you probably haven't noticed that the board has been exceptionally accommodating to the acerbic remarks that come back at anyone who posts anything you don't agree with. I also don't believe sharing a dissenting opinion about something you may not agree with can be categorized as "bullying." I tend to think that's an incredibly overused buzzword these days that could merit a specific and socially agreed upon definition (which we don't have).

But I say all this to say, the meaning of your message gets lost in the manner you choose to express it, and calling out bullies on the boards while screaming in all caps is probably not the best way to encourage authentic conversation. This board is about differing opinions and my suggestion is that you spend more time choosing your language, tone and demeanor carefully so people may listen to what you say, more so than the way you said it.

Wikipedia defines it as:

Someone posted this on Twitter:
“I know paraplegic monkeys who can do fwd. rolls better than that”

Where is the “critique” or constructive criticism in post like this?
There isn't any in that specific post. As stated on this thread before, many twitter and facebook posts were not tasteful in their responses (especially from the young adult/teen age group) and those of us on the boards agree that many of them crossed the line. Unfortunately that is what comes with being on a TV show however......internet response, whether good or bad. Was it acceptable (seeing that these athletes are the true victim here and still have to go back to school after that all because of their coaches and mothers)? No. Did it happen? Yes. It is what it is. Now let's move on.

I've got to say it. I can't take it anymore.

I've got to give it up to my fellow fierce boarders here. Perhaps being new you won't have seen the difference in this thread versus countless others. It is incredibly clear to me that the people posting in this thread are deliberately excercising restraint. Knowing many of them (as posters anyway) I am absolutely sure it's because they want to have an authentic discussion about what they are, and are not, in favor of regarding this show in a professional atmosphere. I think that's especially true where you are concerned because I see them choosing words carefully and using phraseology when responding with you that is clearly respectful of the fact you are associated with CTR.

What I don't see is the same level of respect on your side.

I take a breath every time I read one of your posts because I can feel the anger and resentment seeping through my screen. I fully expect youll be equally as upset with what I'm saying here, and I'm prepared for the response. But, speaking for myself...

...anytime I post something that may be controversial, not the norm, a dissenting opinion etc (which is what this board is about)...I probably read and edit it 23 times for my tone, word choice and netspeak (I.E. all caps etc.) before I post it because I want the message to be heard, in the most professional manner possible, without coming off like I'm angry or ranting. If I am choosing to rant, I'll disclose that at the beginning.

You are new to the board so you probably haven't noticed that the board has been exceptionally accommodating to the acerbic remarks that come back at anyone who posts anything you don't agree with. I also don't believe sharing a dissenting opinion about something you may not agree with can be categorized as "bullying." I tend to think that's an incredibly overused buzzword these days that could merit a specific and socially agreed upon definition (which we don't have).

But I say all this to say, the meaning of your message gets lost in the manner you choose to express it, and calling out bullies on the boards while screaming in all caps is probably not the best way to encourage authentic conversation. This board is about differing opinions and my suggestion is that you spend more time choosing your language, tone and demeanor carefully so people may listen to what you say, more so than the way you said it.
This. A thousand shimmys for this. I try not to even respond to certain posts on here any more because the outcome is always the same. Thank you for saying in a kinder, gentler way what I know I and probably quite a few other posters have been thinking.

Level 2 is real cheerleading. There is more to cheer than just level 5.
I am saying like I would have liked it if there was a higher level that would help people understand the sport because noncheerleaders think it is just a women yelling at little kids

I am saying like I would have liked it if there was a higher level that would help people understand the sport because noncheerleaders think it is just a women yelling at little kids

Most non-cheerleaders would have never understood level 5 skills or how difficult they are. And just because you meant that, doesn't mean you said that. Everyone starts somewhere.

Back