All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Now that I have FINALLY seen it, I don't know that I have anything additional to add to this discourse. For one, I'm surprised no one has referred to Alicia as "Crazy Eyes" yet lol... Secondly, I think that Bonnie is nothing short of cruel and abusive. My mother was tough on me and pushed me to do my best, but it was nowhere near that level. Even so, it did make me feel inadequate, and eventually drove me to an eating disorder. Looking back, my mother was not even remotely close to Bonnie. My heart goes out to Alana, honestly. That poor kid is going to grow up with a pretty skewed self-image, which leads to all kinds of other issues in life.

The part where Bonnie is grilling her about not throwing her backhandspring just kind of made my jaw drop. Really? Even if you know nothing at all about progressions in tumbling, or good technique, I feel like it was so blatantly obvious that that kid wasn't ready to throw a backhandspring. The guy was spotting her roundoff backhandspring in one clip and she can't even land a roundoff. Why on earth would a kid who can't do a roundoff be permitted to do a backhandspring? The kid is 10, and deep down inside, she knows she isn't ready to do it. She is actually more intelligent and realistic than all of the adults in this show. Making a child feel bad about themselves for something that is completely beyond their control is DISGUSTING. What's worse is that Crazy Eyes goes along with it. If I were that kids coach, and I saw a mother treating her kid like that, you bet your a$$ that I'd be there for her as a support- positive and encouraging, not feeding into the psycho mom's bullsh^t!!

This show is unacceptable on so many levels- the abusive parenting, the dangerous coaching, and frankly just poor business practice in general. Why would you talk up one particular team to that extent? You're making all of your PAYING level one customers feel like sh^t, which is really just giving them a reason to A) quit your gym and find another or B) quit the sport altogether.

That's absolutely the wrong message, and it does NOT bode well for the future of our sport. I have said this before and I will say it again- the beauty of our sport lies in the fact that it truly is for EVERYONE. Cheer Perfection takes a dump all over that, as far as I'm concerned.

Num1Stunta - Do you really think bad of us Arkansans? My family and I are orig. from the North if that helps any (except cp, she even has accent) -lol- We have all our teeth (we never miss checkups and my son even has braces), indoor plumbing, or home is is norm. looking, my children get good grades in school (really education starts at home - I work at the school, another story), I do not think of deer camp has a vacation -lol- (I've even had a passport and made use of it in the past -for more the Canada and Mexico). We have A.C. and a in-ground pool when the trad. southern humidity kicks in. Yeah, I know Arkansas isn't the wealthiest of states, but then my husband can provide better for us then he could if we had stayed in Oregon. The feds. moved us here, being that the feds. provide us our income it would not change no matter where we lived. I admit I a am no Clinton fan, Billy Bob Thorton has done some good and some bad. I've never been into Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Annie Oakly, nor Gleen Campbell, maybe that has to-do with my age. I do like some of John Grishmans work. I've hard of the actress Mary Steenburgen but I can't recall exactly what films she's been in. I enjoyed the novel "Summer of My German Soldier" in my younger years and the music from Evanescence. If anything Arkansas is one of the few if not the only place where the public can dig for diamonds (we've tried it and didn't find any, but the kids didn't last long either -lol-). All in all, can I save myself in your eyes if I can say I am a transplanted northern put here by the gov. :)

Num1Stunta - Do you really think bad of us Arkansans? My family and I are orig. from the North if that helps any (except cp, she even has accent) -lol- We have all our teeth (we never miss checkups and my son even has braces), indoor plumbing, or home is is norm. looking, my children get good grades in school (really education starts at home - I work at the school, another story), I do not think of deer camp has a vacation -lol- (I've even had a passport and made use of it in the past -for more the Canada and Mexico). We have A.C. and a in-ground pool when the trad. southern humidity kicks in. Yeah, I know Arkansas isn't the wealthiest of states, but then my husband can provide better for us then he could if we had stayed in Oregon. The feds. moved us here, being that the feds. provide us our income it would not change no matter where we lived. I admit I a am no Clinton fan, Billy Bob Thorton has done some good and some bad. I've never been into Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Annie Oakly, nor Gleen Campbell, maybe that has to-do with my age. I do like some of John Grishmans work. I've hard of the actress Mary Steenburgen but I can't recall exactly what films she's been in. I enjoyed the novel "Summer of My German Soldier" in my younger years and the music from Evanescence. If anything Arkansas is one of the few if not the only place where the public can dig for diamonds (we've tried it and didn't find any, but the kids didn't last long either -lol-). All in all, can I save myself in your eyes if I can say I am a transplanted northern put here by the gov. :)

I think I'm generally tough on the south, but I do recognize that there is a minority down there that don't fit the stereotype. Personally, as a gay person, I stay as far North of the Mason-Dixon line as I can. When I drove through the carolinas to get to Cheersport a few years back, I didn't even want to stop and get gas. It was me, the lesbian, with a puertorican gay guy, 2 dominican girls, and a mixed filipina/black girl. As soon as we saw the confederate flag all over the place, we realized that we probably shouldn't stop again until we hit Atlanta lol... The politics are just really disturbing to me, and the fact that people who live there vote in large enough majority to pass discriminating laws and elect bigoted politicians is a little hard to stomach. And, yes, you get credit for being from the North lol:)

Besides all that's been said and the obvious things it kinda bugs me that it is evidently clear how much they did this for the publicity and attention for themselves. I understand being excited when making it to seeing yourself on tv but when it comes to the cast of the show constantly posting about if people want them to send fan mail or edit pics of them to announcing where they will be for pictures and autographs to offering to send signed clothing and apparel just becomes too much. I may be wrong but I didn't see central jersey doing that with multiple fan pages made by themselves which really shows they weren't doing it to show the true meaning of our sport and try to clear the stereotypes but rather for the 15 minutes of fame. Sorry that was long I hope it made sense :)

Does anyone know if they're going to carry on with the series? I've looked for a second episode and can't find one, and I need to know if Alana will ever make youth silver:rolleyes:

Num1Stunta - I feel so much better :) Yes their is something to say about rural Arkansas not being to accepting. But, at one of my husbands work functions (Christmas party) their was a lesbian couple making out on the dance floor (it was well know they where a couple-their are gays in the south, even in the rural part). I do think the men at the Christmas party would have found it more exciting if they look liked Ann Heche and Portia de Rossi, it was more like Chaz and Roise (this was an adult employee get together). Know to bring this back to cheer: If it helps with your impression on the ignorance of the South, my daughters cheer coach is black(I think he cheers for CTR's level 6 team-just to add some drama to this -lol-) and his wife is white (thus their child is mix). Sad to say, I am sure their are people in this town that would use that has a excuse for their child not to cheer. I even had one mom tell me she thinks we cheer moms are snobs (her excuse to not her daughter cheer), that's another story, but it made me laugh. Really for a small gym in a small town I do think we have a great coach, but not everyone will look at the gym for that. You can't tell by looking at my daughter (profile pix) she is 1/4 Thai (I am 1/2, most think I am hispanic, Native American and even Eskimo - but then they are Native American's).

Sorry for the italics, I can't get it turn off. I've clicked the "I" at the top and tried :confused:

Num1Stunta - I feel so much better :) Yes their is something to say about rural Arkansas not being to accepting. But, at one of my husbands work functions (Christmas party) their was a lesbian couple making out on the dance floor (it was well know they where a couple-their are gays in the south, even in the rural part). I do think the men at the Christmas party would have found it more exciting if they look liked Ann Heche and Portia de Rossi, it was more like Chaz and Roise (this was an adult employee get together). Know to bring this back to cheer: If it helps with your impression on the ignorance of the South, my daughters cheer coach is black(I think he cheers for CTR's level 6 team-just to add some drama to this -lol-) and his wife is white (thus their child is mix). Sad to say, I am sure their are people in this town that would use that has a excuse for their child not to cheer. I even had one mom tell me she thinks we cheer moms are snobs (her excuse to not her daughter cheer), that's another story, but it made me laugh. Really for a small gym in a small town I do think we have a great coach, but not everyone will look at the gym for that. You can't tell by looking at my daughter (profile pix) she is 1/4 Thai (I am 1/2, most think I am hispanic, Native American and even Eskimo - but then they are Native American's).

Sorry for the italics, I can't get it turn off. I've clicked the "I" at the top and tried :confused:

I LOL'd at that:)

Full names posted?? What are they thinking?
Damm...I didn't mean to bring more drama, just wanted to give someone a answer to their question.:eek: But then when you are on a reality show, I think people will be able to find you regardless if they know your last name or not.

Damm...I didn't mean to bring more drama, just wanted to give someone a answer to their question.:eek: But then when you are on a reality show, I think people will be able to find you regardless if they know your last name or not.
But that appeared to be the full gym roster, not those who signed up for the show. That's my shock!

Num1Sunta (you appear pleasant/humor to post to)- In reference to "For one, I'm surprised no one has referred to Alicia as "Crazy Eyes" yet lol... " First off, I don't state this to put down my daughters coach 'cause he is awesome, and it'll be a loss for this rural town (whom does not fully appreciate the program he has to offer the girls/boys here) when/if he packs his bags up for bigger and better things. As I stated to you before, he is black and married to a white person he has two mixed babies, yep some folks are ignorant in the rural south and wouldn't come to a gym just because of that. But you see I can't make a neg. comment on someone having Crazy Eyes, 'cause my daughters coach is... crossed eyed. And thus some won't look past that and see how awesome of a coach he is. I am sure their is someone(s) that's seen him or dealt with him at one of comps. and thought/said some snide remark in regards to that, that is until we beat them. ;)

dawgshow - I never thought much of it, but my daughters gym posted both first and last names on their site. It hasn't been updated for this season, one of the coaches left this year and maybe they where the one that dealt with it??? I've only checked out the website a few times at the most. As I stated I never thought much of it, until you made your statement which made me want to check it out. I may have to say something about it at the gym. :)

I never would have given it a second thought myself before coming onto message boards like this, either. Seeing full names of minors reposted and tweeted constantly has made me realize how easy it is to be careless, even unintentionally. Plus, I've had a couple of freaky Internet situations so I'm a bit paranoid ;)

I didn't mean to make it sound dramaesque. I was just really surprised.

Back