All-Star Do You Remember When...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

THIS is why i didnt renew my subscription. I want to hear about cheer, not some actress on disney that did pop warner once upon a time or plays one on tv. not interested.

Maybe that'll be a plus of Varsity taking over....they'll go back to featuring real cheerleaders, not "I'm not a cheerleader, but I play one on TV-thus feeding into the negative stereotypes"

I forgot about the "chunky" video lol

Well, I have a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. I was never lucky enough to have the cheer curls. Instead, my poor mother had to roll my 3-feet of hair into about 30 curlers, which was then piled on top of my head an wrapped in a bandanna. I looked like a container of Jiffy Pop lol... and I had to sleep like that, and go to school like that, because HS competitions used to be on Friday nights!!

2. I didn't have a uniform with lettering on it until 11th grade... before that, it was just a plain shell... and underneath it was a snap-in-the-crotch white bodyliner with my NAME embroidered on the neck. This also matched the homemade bows that our team sported, which someone's Mom made for us... they had our names embroidered on the tails of the bow, and they looked like they belonged on top of a new Mercedes lol

3. I remember when my coaches had no cheer experience, and were just teachers at our school. We taught ourselves how to do everything by watching other teams and just trying stuff lol. I remember a girl on my team who did a full-down out of an extension for the first time, and we said "wow! you spin fast! this time, you should try a double!" so she did... and broke her back's nose haha.

4. Competitive high school teams USED TO be much better than all star teams.

5. I remember being told to go up on my toes to prep for jumps lol

6. I can't believe no one has mentioned CHEER MIX. There were like 30 volumes of pre-made Cheer Mixes, and if you used one, you were bound to run into someone at competition with the same music. My senior year in high school, our coach chose the Inspector Gadget mix. It was a real gem lmao

7. The first time I heard a customized voiceover in a team's music, it blew my mind. I was like "WHAT!? HOW DID THEY GET THAT!?"

8. The first time I had boyshorts was college... I thought they were the most miraculous wedgie-cure ever

9. All Star Teams used to just be rec teams that were named after the town they were in, or they were named after the county they were located in: Polk County All Stars, Bergen County All Stars, etc

10. All I needed was a standing BHS to make my competitive college team. We cut 4 people in January before nationals because they had no tumbling, and our coach wanted a full-team ROBHS section lol

11. Remember when you actually chose alternates for a team? Too bad we dont do that anymore, maybe it would solve the whole crossover debate lol

12. Also, I liked it when you got free sandals with your cheer shoes, just saying:)

When there weren't as many divisions. It was rare to only have 3 - 5 teams that you went against. It was usually 12 - 25 or more. I actually like it better that way. It shouldn't be so easy to win!

The pre-spring floor days, no level rules, cheer curls (those ugly wiglets were tragic)

WIGLETS!! TRAGIIC!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And when the gitter that was in a pot and it was like gel people basically thought they were cool and it was ALL over their eyes and we looked like martians!

The day Jody Melton had the bright idea to try opening a cheer gym with a few teams to see what it would be like to run a program of his own. #Genius

The day Jody Melton had the bright idea to try opening a cheer gym with a few teams to see what it would be like to run a program of his own. #Genius

The only "genius" part was getting the right coaches and partners. If you get that right, the rest is pretty easy.

WIGLETS!! TRAGIIC!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And when the gitter that was in a pot and it was like gel people basically thought they were cool and it was ALL over their eyes and we looked like martians!

Remember how Bath & Body Works sold roll on glitter? It came in different scents (I was partial to Country Apple) and you rolled it on like roll on deodorant. We used it in college, stand there arms and legs out and someone else would "glitter me".

I'm so glad that is over. I hated walking around yelling my head off and being obnoxious. Plus there was always that awkward finish to the chant.....half the team would keep yelling and half would stop. Or everyone would stop except for that one clueless girl.....
hey, I resemble that remark.

Back