All-Star Do You Think We Need Tighter Security At Cheerleading Competitions Because Of Recent Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel as though AS cheer is beneath the radar of terrorist organizations. If they want to make an impact on our loose morals, wouldn't they go for something more high profile like the Miss America pageant or the Victoria's Secret fashion show? Fashion Week in NYC?

no.

I mean I don't know why we would only be concerned with what's on the radar of "terrorist organizations"....when home grown terrorists have walked into churches, movie theatres, schools and many other places and committed acts of terrorism. Any venue with any amount of innocent people would be an ideal target for a terrorist.

My life experience makes me okay with having metal detectors everywhere....I'd even like one at my library....to protect people from all types of terrorist cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as of January 1st, you'll be able to openly carry handguns in Texas.

Legally you cannot carry:
  • On the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting or interscholastic event is taking place
but all star isn't a school sponsored activity/professional sporting event so can NCA even make a rule about this?

source: TxDPS - CHL FAQs #36 is where you cannot carry
PA is an open carry state, no permit required outside Philly city limits. That said, people who have been open carrying have been asked to leave shopping malls. Private property, they can ask you to leave.

We had metal detectors in our HS in NYC and that was the late 70's/early 80's.

I'm kinda surprised my high school didn't have them. It was being built right around the time of the Columbine shooting and as a result, lockers were not put into the school. Everything had to be transported unless you were lucky enough to be in band (and early enough to grab and go before first period) or did sports (and could get to your gym locker throughout the day). Otherwise, no such luck.

We get bags checked here now just to go to the movies. I don't think extra security could hurt at all. Maybe I'm niave though, but I don't think the terrorists have any clue of cheer competitions or the size of some of them. A random physco who wants to go crazy could find his way in, but I don't think ISIS has NCA or Cheersport on their list. I could be wrong.

TBH what is more American than cheerleading? If you wanted to him people in something in the middle of their ideals.... why not cheer?
It's a youth sport that isn't popular in that area of the world. We have a large part of our own country that has no clue what allstar cheer is or how big our events can be. I don't know that the terrorists have any clue of these events. I can see the venues being targets, but more than likely it would be concerts or professional sport events at those venues that would be more of a target.

Again. Middle eastern extremist are not the only terrorists. Isis might not "find" out about Cheersport, but there are plenty of other people with the means to massacre people that might.

If you're under the impression that a Dylann Roof, James Holmes, Adam Lanza, Robert Dear and the like, are in fact not terrorist and that there aren't plenty more people like them willing to show up to a convention center and perform a terroristic act then yes, you are naive.

It is literally my mission to make sure people are aware that there are other types of terrorist sitting in rural trailers, run down apartments and in the mothers basements plotting attacks....they aren't all sitting in a cave in the Middle East somewhere....and we should be concerned about all types of terrorist equally.

So yes. Metal detectors are needed at cheerleading competitions and as far as I'm concerned everywhere in life. But more importantly, what needs to be done to make it happen?

Again. Middle eastern extremist are not the only terrorists. Isis might not "find" out about Cheersport, but there are plenty of other people with the means to massacre people that might.

If you're under the impression that a Dylann Roof, James Holmes, Adam Lanza, Robert Dear and the like, are in fact not terrorist and that there aren't plenty more people like them willing to show up to a convention center and perform a terroristic act then yes, you are naive.

It is literally my mission to make sure people are aware that there are other types of terrorist sitting in rural trailers, run down apartments and in the mothers basements plotting attacks....they aren't all sitting in a cave in the Middle East somewhere....and we should be concerned about all types of terrorist equally.

So yes. Metal detectors are needed at cheerleading competitions and as far as I'm concerned everywhere in life. But more importantly, what needs to be done to make it happen?

This this and more THIS. Isis isn't who I'm worried about. Al Qaeda isn't who I'm worried about. I'm worried about the mentally unstable person who lives around the corner and wants to make a "statement".

Isis member 1: Hey... wanna go to cheersport or NCA?
Isis member 2: whats that????????
Isis member 1: Never mind.....

This this and more THIS. Isis isn't who I'm worried about. Al Qaeda isn't who I'm worried about. I'm worried about the mentally unstable person who lives around the corner and wants to make a "statement".

Agreed! Statistically, I'm way more likely to be killed by an American citizen than someone across the ocean. However the media does a piss poor job at explaining the difference and instead runs with tag lines that sell. And then people believe it and now open carry selfies are all the rage because we have to be armed for the next terror attack. Vomit.

*The day Susie was not full of sunshine.*

This this and more this. It's not just Middle Eastern terrorists and famous big name locations. The idea that the targets are going to be headline grabbing famous locales is a myth. I mean even look at Paris...do you think those people eating in the cafes/restaurants expected that? The concert hall? We aren't talking La Tour Eiffel or Le Louvre...targets you might expect.

That said... I don't think bag checks/metal detectors at NCA will do any good unless the convention center does them year round. One weekend isn't going to stop a terrorist(s) with a plan...they could easily stash their weapons inside in the days before the extra security goes in.

Metal detectors and bag checks at events are more for deterrence. Someone is less likely to bring a weapon to an event if they know ahead of time their bags and person will be checked for such.

While cheer competitions specifically may not be targets, large venues that hold large amounts of people are. Terrorists do not attack places on a whim (for the most part). Their attacks are fairly well-planned. If an event venue is a potential target, a terrorist will research what events are held there and what kind of security is used at each event. It would be very easy for someone to narrow down the top events at the Dallas convention center by turnout. They would then figure out what kind of security each event has by attending them. And you better believe that, after attending the competition once, an event like NCA will be moved to the top of their list.

It is best to be aware of your surroundings wherever you are. Have an exit plan even when you are at the grocery store. This might sound paranoid, but you never know when you will need an emergency exit until it is an emergency (whether it be fire, flood, bomb, etc).

This this and more this. It's not just Middle Eastern terrorists and famous big name locations. The idea that the targets are going to be headline grabbing famous locales is a myth. I mean even look at Paris...do you think those people eating in the cafes/restaurants expected that? The concert hall? We aren't talking La Tour Eiffel or Le Louvre...targets you might expect.

That said... I don't think bag checks/metal detectors at NCA will do any good unless the convention center does them year round. One weekend isn't going to stop a terrorist(s) with a plan...they could easily stash their weapons inside in the days before the extra security goes in.

This is the unfortunate truth. Targets are becoming more common, every day places (restaurants, concert halls, grocery stores, etc). And the less security there is, the more likely a place will be a target.

Back