All-Star Does Execution Matter?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So I'm going to ask a couple of questions. What is execution, briefly? Can a judging panel really comment on execution without video review?

So I'm going to ask a couple of questions. What is execution, briefly? Can a judging panel really comment on execution without video review?

Good question. I know what I think it is, bit maybe to judges it is different.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

yes, it looks so much better when a clean team wins over a sloppy mess regardless of the difficulty they throw in there.

I really thought execution mattered. Especially since, in most cases, I went against a team and won when the other team had execution problems. But after seeing many teams that won the Gold at Worlds and had execution problems, I am doubting it more and more. :((

I really thought execution mattered. Especially since, in most cases, I went against a team and won when the other team had execution problems. But after seeing many teams that won the Gold at Worlds and had execution problems, I am doubting it more and more.

Worlds scoresheets did not reward execution like other competitions reward execution. In other words, their definition of execution is different than other places. Starshiptrooper asked a good question: What is the definition of execution?

Is it even feasible to have skill, difficulty, execution and performance as scoring categories for each section? Like @kingston mentioned somewhere above, have each skill ranked with a difficulty score, so throwing a full can only get a maximum 8/10 on difficulty but execution can get perfect 10. A team with perfectly executed fulls could score better than a team with poorly executed doubles similar to gymnastics. I have no idea how to break this down if a team has half fulls half doubles, or how one governing body (ha!) could evaluate all skills and rank them. And I suppose that also means that Grand Champion can never be anyone except level 5. Hurrrmmmmmm.

I do think execution should matter though, not just for all the safety reasons and progressions, but because cheer is a visual and performance based sport. I think the pressure and expectation for gyms/athletes to make/field a level 5 team might contribute to execution being compromised for difficulty. I also might have no idea what I'm talking about. But I know I love watching all Rays teams because they're going to be clean no matter what level they are (I am such a suckup :kiss:!). Any lower level team that is clean, throws their skills perfectly (it's clear half could maybe do a full but compete their perfect layouts) and looks like they're having fun is so much better than a higher level team with hesitant scared faces and janky, wobbly disasters.

Until they release all of the scores, we don't really know whether execution matters or not. We may see a result and ASSUME that execution was the reason, but as it is, you never really know.

Here is where I will make lolsmileyface happy.

I think mechanically (meaning the process at which a judge produces a score) judging should be done on a base 10 scale (meaning out of 10, or 1, or 100). Why? Everything we do is based on base 10 so it is very natural to everyone. Second, I think that execution and difficulty mechanically speaking should be the same score. So if you judge difficulty out of 10 you judge difficulty out of 10. This way a judge could never accidentally give a wrong value because of mechanics. NCA's scoring system works the best for this because it is a rubric where you have to perform and compete certain skills to get into the right difficulty category. From there judging difficulty and execution is done in the exact same format. Execution, however, is done a bit different. Everyone starts with a .5. If you perform with an average ability you get that .5. If you are worse it lowers your score. Better, it raises it. Difficulty is a score that is always relative to your peers, and that is fine. As long as we dont value each thing in a routine individually (which would be very difficult and time consuming) that set range does give the judges a decent way to separate difficulty.

One of the many problems with other scoring situations is it seems to be out of a random number (20, or 10, or 35). That so goes against how we run our everyday life. You ask how attractive someone is, and they give you a score based off of 1 - 10. You ask how good is that mean, you say on a scale from 1 - 10 how was it? Who says on a scale of 1 - 35 what would you rate that? It goes against us.

Worlds scoresheets did not reward execution like other competitions reward execution. In other words, their definition of execution is different than other places. Starshiptrooper asked a good question: What is the definition of execution?
That is a good question....

I think execution AND flexibility should be counted. I hate seeing stunts hit "unclean" (bent knees and/or flexibility issues). Not a fan of the full or double full all janky. If you're expected to be tight and clean in a routine, why do stunts get thrown to the side when it comes to flexibilty. I've seen so many teams score well with less flexibilty than my dog and that just burns me up. Teams work to clean the motions and tumbling but hard stunts rewarded for just for hitting with no finesse?

kingston said:
On a percent base what is the ratio for difficulty to execution? 50/50? 30/70? 80/20?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think 50/50 is fair. The team with janky doubles gets a 9.6/10 on difficulty but a 6.3 on execution. The team with clean fulls gets a 8/10 on difficulty and a 9.3 on execution. The clean team wins the tumbling section.

I think 50/50 is fair. The team with janky doubles gets a 9.6/10 on difficulty but a 6.3 on execution. The team with clean fulls gets a 8/10 on difficulty and a 9.3 on execution. The clean team wins the tumbling section.

I like this! This would also encourage SAFE tumbling as opposed to getting your janky skill at all costs.

Latest posts

Back