All-Star Does The Majors Outshine Jamfest Sn?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes I think so. I feel like the timing is a huge advantage for the hype of the Majors. Usually Cali, Brandon, CA, CEA, etc. wouldn't all be in the same building until NCA. Being able to showcase these teams going head to head for the first time is exciting!! There are amazing teams performing at JSN && once the Majors is over I'm sure the attention will turn back to JSN.

I may be in the minority here, but I find the whole concept of The Majors - majorly annoying. We already have a best of the best elite competition. It's called Worlds - Finals. The whole red carpet nonsense is just feeding into the cheerlebrity phenom gone wild.

As a spectator, I felt like jamfest gutted their competition with the majors. I hated the red carpet stuff. It's exciting to see the teams one after another, but the individual introductions and blah blah blah speakers in between teams made it feel like an overly long awards ceremony where you want them to just get on with it. I wondered how competitors at JSN divisions felt. I guess "yay" if they won a bid, but I imagined it reduced the feeling of prestige as in "we won a
Bid, but didn't compete against the supposed best teams here".

I think so, but I also think - as an observer - what they are doing is trying to see if they can pull some of the more recognized teams/programs into an event that may one day be an alternative for Worlds. That is should they ever decide to completely break away. If you are going to do that in the current market, the best way IMO is to piggy back it off of one of your current highly successful events. Kinda like what Varsity is doing with the Summit, piggy backing it off Worlds. You already have a crowd, clients, and a following. That issue is resolved.

While there are those who don't believe we need another Worlds, there are many that want it to be more exclusive. But they never define how exclusive, and how they would pay for it once they get rid of all the at large teams they don't believe should be there, but pay a tremendous portion for the event. They don't seem to understand that Varsity is not going to not take that money for that market they created because they don't have to see Honey Boo Boo All Stars at Worlds, when rightly or wrongly they got a bid thru the system. Jamfest is trying something different and truthfully it is something that many of those who use these boards have called for over the years. A more exclusive event so you don't have to "suffer" sitting through teams who have no chance to beat these teams.

Bingo.

Yes it takes away from the shine of JSN, but I think it's still a good idea. I love the invitation only aspect. Competing at JSN while the Majors is going on is cool for those teams. It would be like competing at USASF Supreme Nationals the same weekend as Worlds.

I may be in the minority here, but I find the whole concept of The Majors - majorly annoying. We already have a best of the best elite competition. It's called Worlds - Finals. The whole red carpet nonsense is just feeding into the cheerlebrity phenom gone wild.
No I agree with you. I kinda wish we could combine the two concepts of Worlds and Majors. The only thing I like about the majors is they only invite top 10 quality, worlds finals teams but its missing some of the best in the industry!!! I LOVE worlds, but hate how easy it is for people to get a bid, some teams have two fulls on their squad and grab an at-large. So we need to take the Majors concept of inviting the best of the best ONLY but be like Worlds and have ALL the best of the best there. Essentially we just need Worlds- Finals only without the two days of prelims and semifinals.

I don't think so. I think that we hear more about The Majors because its so new and they are trying to build ongoing excitement. I think that those who go to JSN already know that it's a great event for all levels so there doesn't need to be a ton of hype. They really aren't marketing the event to those that aren't already going to be there.
However, the Majors is being marketed to those not immediately associated with the competition. I personally know about a dozen people who either aren't attending SN or don't even have kids in cheer that are heading downtown to see what the hype is about.
As for hype here on the boards, well we have Trinity to talk about instead ;)

No I agree with you. I kinda wish we could combine the two concepts of Worlds and Majors. The only thing I like about the majors is they only invite top 10 quality, worlds finals teams but its missing some of the best in the industry!!! I LOVE worlds, but hate how easy it is for people to get a bid, some teams have two fulls on their squad and grab an at-large. So we need to take the Majors concept of inviting the best of the best ONLY but be like Worlds and have ALL the best of the best there. Essentially we just need Worlds- Finals only without the two days of prelims and semifinals.
I agree. I like the concept but wish the Majors was a little more indicative of all the divisions of worlds with more teams in those divisions. Small senior is one of the largest/hardest divisions at worlds -not one small senior team. With only a handful of teams competing against each other in each division ,and then only one team in medium all girl - to me its exciting to see those teams all in one place - but then what is the point of winning when those same teams will actually compete against their competition at NCA, Cheersport and Worlds. If that makes sense. - so I just wish it was a little more competitive -but I know it needs time to grow,

I think some people see 'New Worlds Idea' and want it to be exactly like worlds but there's one thing you have to understand: Bids pay for many of those teams to come to Florida. The Majors comes out of their own pocket. For some of the closer teams, full-paid bids to Worlds could cover the whole or nearly-the-whole trip (like Florida teams and perhaps some Georgia teams). For a team to GO to the Majors, they're giving up a bid opportunity, and paying to compete at what essentially is a big competitive showcase with some hefty bragging rights, but it's essentially a restricted NCA. It's not a matter if teams were invited (last year was clearly a nod to original worlds which only had TWO divisions- large senior and large coed. Sorry SmAG, they didn't have a div for you back then either)..it's a matter if teams accepted the bid to go!

I feel like the people who DON'T enjoy the whole 'red-carpet' aspect are the people who don't have kids involved or aren't involved with it themselves. I'm sure even those involved might not mind if it was a bit shorter, but it's THEIR night, and they seem happy with it. If you don't like it, don't watch it or don't go. Even the Olympics has their little walk-out moment with individual introductions. This is a cheer nationals, why not celebrate them?

I'm glad they moved the Majors to Friday night. Now it truly is a separate event from SN. I love the idea. I hope they keep it going. I will never not be a fan of the top teams going head to head. One and done and may the best team win. What's not to love?

I guess I just feel like cheerleading is different than a lot of other "industries" and it's hard to make similar comparisons.

On the red carpet/cheelebrity topic - Holden selling bows and saying he has a Manager on twitter, is different than Derek Jeter selling jerseys and making personal appearances. There are SO many kids (for the most part we are talking about kids here) who are incredibly talented and just as good, if not better, than Holden and Maddie and Cami and all the others who revel in the cheerlebrity status bestowed upon them, sometimes to ridiculous levels. However, kids (with few exceptions) are bound to the limits of their homes. If they weren't "lucky" enough to live near NJ, Cali, NC, Texas, etc they are inherently "limited" in where they can cheer. It's not a level playing field, so to speak. I just feel elements of the Majors just capitalizes on this.

Just my opinion.

I guess I just feel like cheerleading is different than a lot of other "industries" and it's hard to make similar comparisons.

On the red carpet/cheelebrity topic - Holden selling bows and saying he has a Manager on twitter, is different than Derek Jeter selling jerseys and making personal appearances. There are SO many kids (for the most part we are talking about kids here) who are incredibly talented and just as good, if not better, than Holden and Maddie and Cami and all the others who revel in the cheerlebrity status bestowed upon them, sometimes to ridiculous levels. However, kids (with few exceptions) are bound to the limits of their homes. If they weren't "lucky" enough to live near NJ, Cali, NC, Texas, etc they are inherently "limited" in where they can cheer. It's not a level playing field, so to speak. I just feel elements of the Majors just capitalizes on this.

Just my opinion.
If Kristen Stewart wasn't 'lucky' enough to be the daughter of a casting director, would she EVER have made it into film? Who knows? Why does it HAVE to be a level playing field? Life isn't. Meryl Streep is incredibly talented, she also is from a wealthy family who could support her while she pursued an acting career. Others have scraped and saved to make it and never do. Should we tell her she's not allowed to do it because it's not 'fair?' There's wanting a level playing field in terms of honest competition, and there's cutting off other people's opportunities because you were never granted the same.

If we allow ourselves to be bound by our perceived limitations, we voluntarily tie down our potential greatness.

We can probably agree on Kristen Stewart ;)

I know life isn't fair. I guess for me part of it is about being annoyed over the antics of the Holden's of the world, and a feeling that some elements of the Majors cater to that. But I suppose any industry brings out a few overblown egos.

I love watching really amazing teams as much as the next person. I'll be jamming myself in the "Milk House" at Worlds to watch WCSS, SE, F5 and Panthers battle it out, despite not having any affiliation with them.

But still, not a fan of the Majors - just don't "feel" it. To each their own :)

Back