All-Star Dont Get Frostbitten

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 13, 2010
Ok so I know this is gonna sound really dumb but I thought Id share my story so that others dont have to suffer through this. Ice packs are being put to full use now that comp season is in full swing, but you have to be careful not to over ice. I was icing my achilles while doing homework and lost track of time and ended up over icing it. I now have a mild case of frostbite on my ankle and it is extremely sore and painful to move. So make sure you guys are not over icing or you might end up like me. :confused:

Ok so I know this is gonna sound really dumb but I thought Id share my story so that others dont have to suffer through this. Ice packs are being put to full use now that comp season is in full swing, but you have to be careful not to over ice. I was icing my achilles while doing homework and lost track of time and ended up over icing it. I now have a mild case of frostbite on my ankle and it is extremely sore and painful to move. So make sure you guys are not over icing or you might end up like me. :confused:

When I sprained my ankle, the nurse told me 20 minutes of ice, 20 minutes without!

When I sprained my ankle, the nurse told me 20 minutes of ice, 20 minutes without!

No yeah thats the general practice (even though i find its more like 20 minutes on and then completely defrost before repeating), but I just lost track of time. When I say lost track of time I mean that I iced it for about 30-35 min which isnt a substantially greater amount of time.

I knew a girl in high school who iced her leg and didn't put anything between her and the icepack and then fell asleep. Major burn..layers of skin gone and now has a big(almost her entire thigh) scar/skin deformation. It really can be quite damaging

I knew a girl in high school who iced her leg and didn't put anything between her and the icepack and then fell asleep. Major burn..layers of skin gone and now has a big(almost her entire thigh) scar/skin deformation. It really can be quite damaging

OMG WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT!???? I am so freaking out right now.... MOM!!!!!!!!

OMG WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT!???? I am so freaking out right now.... MOM!!!!!!!!
lol, You should be fine, you only left it 30ish minuets she fell asleep for hours! I'm pretty sure the icepack was hot by the time she was done with it.

No yeah thats the general practice (even though i find its more like 20 minutes on and then completely defrost before repeating), but I just lost track of time. When I say lost track of time I mean that I iced it for about 30-35 min which isnt a substantially greater amount of time.

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean it to come across as condescending, just repeating the general practice in case someone didn't know. I can't believe that happened after only 30-35 minutes!

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean it to come across as condescending, just repeating the general practice in case someone didn't know. I can't believe that happened after only 30-35 minutes!

Oh no worries i didnt take it like that haha. I know I honestly have the worst luck!

This happened to me but 100% not my fault...promise.. Im almost 22 now so I decided that it was time to finally get my ankle fixed so I had complete reconstructive surgery on my ankle/heel/entire foot besides the toes.. When I got home the surgeon said ice behind the knee since everything beneath that was bandaged up... With the combo of the anesthesia and all the other drugs I passed out with the ice pack under my knee... parents & boyfriend didn't know I put it on.. && 3 hours later when I woke up..permanent frost bite scar behind my knee now.. :mad: I feel ya...

Oh no worries i didnt take it like that haha. I know I honestly have the worst luck!

My daughter did something similar to this. Eventually it bubbled up and burst, she had a pretty bad scar for quite some time but it is almost gone now :)

My daughter did something similar to this. Eventually it bubbled up and burst, she had a pretty bad scar for quite some time but it is almost gone now :)

Mine is bubbling up right now, which is really annoying because Im suppose to be getting skills for worlds not limping around the house.

254210_1852361741783_1022962639_31754037_3682055_n.jpg

If you look at her leg (the strange child who is being held up, you can see the scar on her leg. It looks way better now though :)

I guess this is more common than I thought. Just happened to my daughter. On her her upper arm - at practice arm/shoulder injury so she held ice on it I guess longer than she realized - I wasn't there, but I don't know if that would have changed anything - it is good info though :) because she did not realize - since she was just sitting there awhile trying to see if she could get back up to re -join practice. Her shirt was a barrier even. But now she has a few scars :( but she says they look like angel wings lol so I bought some bio- oil for scars to see if eventually they will fade - they aren't too bad now, but definitely there.

I honestly dont really care about the scaring because its on my heel/achilles area. But its really annoying because its painful to walk.

Back