All-Star Double Edge Sword

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

kingston said:
The big gyms can only pay off so many judges. Sometimes we run out of money and we lose a comp or two.

OR sometimes people expect more from you because you are a big name gym. And they are harder on you just cause of your name. A small mistake for you is counted as huge.

And, welcome to the board. But if you actually started a war it be world war IX. Cause you're not he first to make such a silly argument.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Aren't they supposed to take any deductions you get and multiply it by the number of kids you have? It's only fair

Aren't they supposed to take any deductions you get and multiply it by the number of kids you have? It's only fair

Probably.

And multiple wins repeatedly by the good gyms have nothing to do with the coaching and the system they have setup. You give any coach the most talented kids in the cheerleading world and they will win. In fact, most of the coaches who win worlds dont really even have to try. They have a large gym with a name and talent just walks in the door. They never coach it, train it, teach it, or anything. It just kinda happens... mostly because of the name on the chest. Heck, I cant remember the last time any coach ever tried ever at the big gyms.

Probably.

And multiple wins repeatedly by the good gyms have nothing to do with the coaching and the system they have setup. You give any coach the most talented kids in the cheerleading world and they will win. In fact, most of the coaches who win worlds dont really even have to try. They have a large gym with a name and talent just walks in the door. They never coach it, train it, teach it, or anything. It just kinda happens... mostly because of the name on the chest. Heck, I cant remember the last time any coach ever tried ever at the big gyms.

most big gyms have the girls/boys coach the teams like Bring It On! The coaches are usually out to coffee with the parents!

most big gyms have the girls/boys coach the teams like Bring It On! The coaches are usually out to coffee with the parents!

yeah, us cheerleaders just bust out in a routine and we all automatically know what were doing.

yeah, us cheerleaders just bust out in a routine and we all automatically know what were doing.

its just amazing isnt it...i hear the team just comes into practice, starts counting, 5,6,7,8 and busts out an amazing routine...its just crazy! weird that everyone knows where they are going...such talent! LOL im caking up rite now are you?

Im at a second year, small, no name gym from a state that only has four teams going to worlds. We have two 'big gyms' (I say big gyms because our competing gyms around us have over 200 kids, and we only have 120) around us. I try to get my kids to stunt like Kentucky and CEA, to tumble like F5 and Top Gun, to jump like Rays, etc. Long story short, without the 'big name gyms' my 'small name gym' wouldnt have anything to drive for. I hope one day the gym I am at can be a big power house where levels 1-5 is always a clean sweep, and getting beat is a rare thing, but I am only 25 and still have a lot to learn and learn more and more every year. Big gyms once started out small. No gym just opens and has 500 kids. If they can start from the ground up, so can my gym that just opened in an already saturated area. Its about relationships with the clients and offering the best product. If you truely beleive in that, you will grow.

I do choreography for a small gym in the middle of nowhere in Sothern Missouri named Athletes Plus. They started out in a small building that could only fit a few cheese wedges and panel matts and like three strips of floor (no spring). They had one team. They are in a small town and the area doesnt have much. That one team gym now has like 4-5 teams, two of which I beleive are undefeated and they have a new facility that has a full spring floors and lots of extra space for new mats. They only have levels 1-3 I beleive, but they take the time to teach the skills right. Will they ever be a 'big name'? Probably not just because they could have every person in their area join and still wouldnt have enough kids to be "big" but as someone said earlier... talent is talent... and it will get recognized! Athletes plus teams are the DEAL! Its a shame no one knows them, but locally, they beat all of us 'big gym' teams.

Im at a second year, small, no name gym from a state that only has four teams going to worlds. We have two 'big gyms' (I say big gyms because our competing gyms around us have over 200 kids, and we only have 120) around us. I try to get my kids to stunt like Kentucky and CEA, to tumble like F5 and Top Gun, to jump like Rays, etc. Long story short, without the 'big name gyms' my 'small name gym' wouldnt have anything to drive for. I hope one day the gym I am at can be a big power house where levels 1-5 is always a clean sweep, and getting beat is a rare thing, but I am only 25 and still have a lot to learn and learn more and more every year. Big gyms once started out small. No gym just opens and has 500 kids. If they can start from the ground up, so can my gym that just opened in an already saturated area. Its about relationships with the clients and offering the best product. If you truely beleive in that, you will grow.

I do choreography for a small gym in the middle of nowhere in Sothern Missouri named Athletes Plus. They started out in a small building that could only fit a few cheese wedges and panel matts and like three strips of floor (no spring). They had one team. They are in a small town and the area doesnt have much. That one team gym now has like 4-5 teams, two of which I beleive are undefeated and they have a new facility that has a full spring floors and lots of extra space for new mats. They only have levels 1-3 I beleive, but they take the time to teach the skills right. Will they ever be a 'big name'? Probably not just because they could have every person in their area join and still wouldnt have enough kids to be "big" but as someone said earlier... talent is talent... and it will get recognized! Athletes plus teams are the DEAL! Its a shame no one knows them, but locally, they beat all of us 'big gym' teams.

its just like running any other company..you treat your customers well (cheerleaders and parents) they will return and bring more "customers" your way...remember it starts with the "little ones" that's how you build champions..get em when they are young!

i am from a smaller gym and when we bbeat larger more well known gyms it makes me feel better because i know that our program is growing and we are doing something right. This past weekend our small youth 2 team won divisonal champs(every youth 2 team large and small) at return to atlantis and beat many big names. they even got a standing ovation from the judges, not many people know our gym but we try very hard at competition to get our name out there and show people that we are a great program that is growing and trying it's hardest to compete with big name gyms. I totally give the big gyms thier credit and don't have anything against them but when i see a team from and not so known gym win over a big named gym i love it. it just shows that even small gyms have great amount of talent too.

i am from a smaller gym and when we bbeat larger more well known gyms it makes me feel better because i know that our program is growing and we are doing something right. This past weekend our small youth 2 team won divisonal champs(every youth 2 team large and small) at return to atlantis and beat many big names. they even got a standing ovation from the judges, not many people know our gym but we try very hard at competition to get our name out there and show people that we are a great program that is growing and trying it's hardest to compete with big name gyms. I totally give the big gyms thier credit and don't have anything against them but when i see a team from and not so known gym win over a big named gym i love it. it just shows that even small gyms have great amount of talent too.

WOW that sounds great! do you have a vid of that youth 2 team? i would love to see it! Good luck next season!

First, the money comment - came from a small gym (100-something athletes,) now at a mega-gym, and it's cheaper here. Granted, there are more of us to cover costs, but many fees are per-cheerleader. So if, let's say, choreography fees are per cheerleader, it doesn't matter if you're large or small, right?
Second, I think smaller gyms sometimes lose talent because they have difficulty creating a team on which an extra-talented athlete can be challenged and accel. If 80% of their flyers can't heel to heel tic tock, they can't accomodate the one that can. I have seen girls cry about leaving their "home gym" but they also know that a move is necessary for them to go as far as they are capable.
Last, I'm all for small gym/large gym designations in comp.

Every single large gym owner was at one time a small gym owner. This allows large gyms the ability to look at a wider perspective and be more aware of how it's gonna effect every situation. For 99% of small gyms, they have no idea what it's like to run a gym with 500+ athletes or how certain rules affect large gyms. Courtney, Elaine, Casey, and Jody didn't open the door to find 50 doubles, 100 fulls, 200 amazing jumpers, etc. just looking for a place to call home when they opened their doors. Like Rudags said, every one of those owners offered a better product than the next gym, most often this product was a certain coaching technique or business practice that set them apart. It could have been a tick tock, a leopard bow, a cute hand signal, or straight up cheering for the history of the sport. And I think you could almost throw states like Texas and Georgia and New Jersey out because when you think about it, Cheer Athletics/Rays/World Cup have to be that much better at selling their product because you can get similar results from SOT/GA/SJS and a million other gyms which are all right down the street. Almost all of these large gyms have also been opened for not just years, but decades. How many gyms have been opened for more than 10 years that we're not talking about on this board? With time comes experience and with experience comes NCA/Cheersport/Worlds titles to flaunt and show off to Suzie's mom when she's deciding if she should take Suzie and her tick tock and full back to Podunk Allstars or ComeWinaWorldsTitle Allstars. I read a quote that applies to this so well. It went: "Don't wait; the time will never be 'just right.' Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."

"Don't wait; the time will never be 'just right.' Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."

I LOVE THIS QUOTE! here did you get it? My boyfriend owns his own company i am going to have him read this! SUPER! :)

haha thanks! I found it a while ago though. I'm a bit of a quote whore. I save them on my computer and read through them every once in a while.

Back