All-Star Double Full... Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Michael White - Just remember, it's never too late to learn something new. I won't comment on your abilities as an instructor. I don't know you, so I can't judge. But, there is nothing wrong with admitting that you are still in the process of acquiring new techniques and teaching methods.
Agreed, it's never too late to learn a better teaching method, but I still make do with what I possess as well. Knowledge is a lifelong goal, there's always a better way to do something.

I feel like mentoring is the best possible way to round out abilities as a coach. At my age, with retirement looming, I am more concerned about teaching other teachers that can go out and teach others the correct ways. There are so many things that I could never put on a website for sale or blog about that are crucial in teaching tumbling technique, motivation, dealing with mental blocks etc. Some are new off the head and others are old memories and drills that come up in certain situations. This is why having a mentor is great because they can share these things because they want to see you succeed and go father than they ever did.

It is admittedly a pet peeve of mine that when it comes to tumbling most people just want the trick. Not the process or understanding how it all works and why. That is what IMO makes you a solid instructor. Anyone can teach a kid who has insane talent walking in the door. But to take that kid that has no immediate strengths or abilities and teach them to become a pretty good tumbler, especially when others won't work with them because they are not talented - that is the type of tumbling coach you want to be. To take a nugget and make them first or last pass. To see the coaches that didn't want to work with them when they started, now beg to work with them. To see that kid that no one believed in taking the floor confidant knowing that it was not just the skills that you taught them but the mental capacity to overcome their weakness and make it a strength....that is priceless.
This describes my kid and her current tumbling instructor pretty much perfectly. She's NOT a talented tumbler. It takes her a LONG time to get new skills. For that reason she was largely overlooked and pigeonholed in the back in a field of talented youth aged kids. She made herself important by becoming the back spot that keeps the flyer in the air, sometimes it seems by sheer force of will.

She spent 2 years on level 1 and is now in her 3rd year of level 2. Last year was the first time she had her own tumbling pass. Her coach has stuck with her and she is now reaping the benefits of sticking with his progression. He never gave up on her and did the drills as many times as it took to see the change that was needed. She is getting closer to her tuck, and other coaches are taking notice of that and starting to pay some attention to what she is doing. I am more grateful than I can say that he was willing to put the time and effort into progressing her properly to the point she is today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll listen to your word on the RO and RO BHS, but my rebound is easily three feet or more off the ground. I have the highest rebound in the gym. If I'm doing it incorrectly, than that's great, I'll only get better.

A little heavy footed for my liking but this is after a 2 hour practice and some goofing off. This athlete came to us 3 years ago with a so so tuck and no layout. Literally wanted us to spot him on a layout for tryouts. He can now double full, double back, full in back out pretty easily anywhere in the gym. All with no spots and working technique. And no pit - we just put the pit in a month ago.

A little heavy footed for my liking but this is after a 2 hour practice and some goofing off. This athlete came to us 3 years ago with a so so tuck and no layout. Literally wanted us to spot him on a layout for tryouts. He can now double full, double back, full in back out pretty easily anywhere in the gym. All with no spots and working technique. And no pit - we just put the pit in a month ago.

Three years ago, I was at about the same level he was at, I had a sketchy standing tuck and RHS layout. My fulls look almost like that, but my doubles turn into something else. I worked on your drills yesterday, so hopefully I can start seeing progress soon.

Three years ago, I was at about the same level he was at, I had a sketchy standing tuck and RHS layout. My fulls look almost like that, but my doubles turn into something else. I worked on your drills yesterday, so hopefully I can start seeing progress soon.

Drills get skills. Especially when done correctly. So much so that I spend more time spotting and correcting drills that I do spotting actual tricks.

My main comment is you're relying on your natural power rather than remembering the small things. A nice tall roundoff with a clenched butt and squeezing core will give you a much higher natural rebound if you carry that through the handspring. This will enable you to be able to SET before twisting (there's nothing wrong in perfecting a layout because it can never really be perfect). Remember to be fast on your hands, the ground is lava and you'll melt to the floor the longer you're there. You have all the right tools and equipment - it's all about trying different things until it clicks. I know that'll be soon for you bud!

My main comment is you're relying on your natural power rather than remembering the small things. A nice tall roundoff with a clenched butt and squeezing core will give you a much higher natural rebound if you carry that through the handspring. This will enable you to be able to SET before twisting (there's nothing wrong in perfecting a layout because it can never really be perfect). Remember to be fast on your hands, the ground is lava and you'll melt to the floor the longer you're there. You have all the right tools and equipment - it's all about trying different things until it clicks. I know that'll be soon for you bud!
Thank you! Here's to it being sooner rather than later. :shaka:

Latest posts

Back