All-Star Drinking Pictures On Fb?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i never said that it was legal, the OP said that that you cannot "drink in a public place or an establishment that sells it." and that is not true.

no, if you look at that link, it gives a list of states that have different drinking laws. some states allow underage drinking in homes (even in establishments at times) but it must be with parental permission for it to be considered legal. and by that I would take a pretty good guess and say that for it to be considered legal, the parent must be present and say "yeah, let them have a beer."

I personally think its incredibly stupid! And think about who your effecting (Your Team), because when you come to practice hungover (which a few girls in my team have)what if your hurt yourself, or worse hurt someone else... seriously what is the point of becoming a cheerleader if your not willing to put a few things in life aside until the holidays. drinking and drugs are not the only thing in life that can make you feel high, how about WINNING? Winning makes you feel amazing and winning is way better than some tragic photos of your head in the toilet...

i never said that it was legal, the OP said that that you cannot "drink in a public place or an establishment that sells it." and that is not true.

ok, I'm sorry...it's illegal in every state for you to purchase alcohol. It is illegal in most states for you to drink in an establishment that sells it or in public.

We all know there are bars that serve underage. Why do you think the ABC basically lives in college towns. Just because they are doing it, doesn't make it legal.

Also, as far as certain states allowing underage drinking in private homes ect, I'm going to guess that the parents have to be there. I'm also thinking a party wouldn't be covered, unless all those parents were there to give permission when the cops come knocking on the door.

The original topic which is "drinking pictures on FB"--- Which I get "everyone does it" but you all have been given great advice about the fact that those pictures are out there in public and there are people (employers, educators) who will look at them and make a judgement based upon them that is NOT favorable. Underage drinking is ILLEGAL in almost every circumstance, despite small loopholes in various states. So, just because "everyone does it", doesn't mean it is ok.

That said- What I would appreciate is that if those who are choosing to participate in this activity could please NOT do it before practice or comps. I understand that you are "among friends" and "it helps you tumble better" (yes, comments made from "athletes" at the gym we go to about why they do it), but if my children or any other child out there on the floor with you gets severely injured because of your altered state, your parents (or you if you are over 18) are going to find themselves on the receiving end of a lawsuit.

It's in our handbook that posting in social media should always cast our members in a positive light. That being said, I would have to evaluate the situation before I asked them to leave the gym. It would probably have to be a regular occurrence or garnered a LOT of negative attention for me to remove them from the squad. I have spoken to kids about their language on fbk and posting "sexy" pictures. Other than that I haven't had problems with kids posting pics showing them doing anything illegal.
My biggest problem is with other coaches that drink with their athletes and the parents that condone it. It's all done quite out in the open and I think it's shameful.

I'm shocked by this. Do parents actually condone it, or are they afraid of rocking the boat? Either attitude is appalling. Also? As a coach, I'd never want to drink with my athletes. That wouldn't even be fun. Maybe I'm just old.

I think they condone it bc the athletes are older (NOT of age yet but late teens--17, 18,19). It's not really plastered all over fbk but it's def not done in secret either.

What job requires people under 21 to drink? :confused:

In NYS you are allowed to work at a liquor store under the age of 18. (However you can drink work related.) So I guess it depends, you could be a waiter or waitress or something along those lines or you could even work at a winery.

I am willing to bet some/most of these states don't follow that law. What are they going to do wait and have you call your parents to get permission before they arrest for you for underage drinking?
They can still arrest you in situations like this, but they just won't be able to charge you with anything.

In NYS you are allowed to work at a liquor store under the age of 18. (However you can drink work related.) So I guess it depends, you could be a waiter or waitress or something along those lines or you could even work at a winery.
Why would that require drinking though? That just requires being around alcohol. Not consuming it.

Just like working in a restaurant you have to know what youre selling.

I have never been to a bar where the bartender has tasted the drink (except for Cancun when they took shots with me) or to a restaurant where a waiter has tasted the drink they are serving me. You can know what you are selling without drinking the alcohol.

I have never been to a bar where the bartender has tasted the drink (except for Cancun when they took shots with me) or to a restaurant where a waiter has tasted the drink they are serving me. You can know what you are selling without drinking the alcohol.

In high school, I was a waitress in a four star restaurant. I was 16 or so at the time. We had employee meetings where we also had wine tastings with new wines we got in or older wines that were popular/expensive vintages, so that when questioned by the patrons, at anytime, we could give an accurate and full description of the wine.

OK!!!! So how about, I have a National competition tomorrow, and I have kids from other gyms in the area on my friends list, and I KNOW they are competing tomorrow... One of them just posted a picture of him drinking at a party tonight. Thats not all.. he's not just drinking... He's drinking from a funnel.... :confused: Great Scott...

Back