All-Star Expansions, Openings, And Mergers For 2013-2014

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First let me say that there are MANY great small gyms! But lets be real, there are more AWFUL small gyms than good ones. I wish this weren't the case, but it is. So many people think that bc they saw bring it on or cheered 20 yrs ago they can run a gym. The fact is running a gym AND running a business takes a lot and isn't as easy as many seem to think. I feel that regardless of size a quality product can be produced. Do I feel bad for a poorly run business closing its doors, no. More often than not a GOOD business stays open, adjustments are made and continue to thrive. If someone leaves a gym (regardless of size) there was a reason. Reduce the reasons for a customer to go elsewhere you increase your business.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I meant nothing personal. Just an observation from a grandparent who has a all star cheerleader who invested 9 years in the sport and worked herself to a level 5 competitor only to have a handful of equally skilled cheerleaders at her gym now. Not due to a poorly run business but the combination of a small demographic and the draw of "big name gym". She does not have the luxuary of having parents able to drive her over 1 hour each way for practice (they have to work).
I'll bow out of this converation now. Have a great day everyone!

I meant nothing personal. Just an observation from a grandparent who has a all star cheerleader who invested 9 years in the sport and worked herself to a level 5 competitor only to have a handful of equally skilled cheerleaders at her gym now. Not due to a poorly run business but the combination of a small demographic and the draw of "big name gym". She does not have the luxuary of having parents able to drive her over 1 hour each way for practice (they have to work).
And I wasn't looking to attack. I think when stating opinions on a World Wide forum it's important to remove individual, personal bias. I'm not at a small or mega gym. We are medium size with quality teams top to bottom. I'd welcome any gym "name" to
my area. I'm comfortable in my skills as a coach and manager to continue to succeed. If a "name" moved into town and we lost business I would FIRST look internal before making external excuses.

And I wasn't looking to attack. I think when stating opinions on a World Wide forum it's important to remove individual, personal bias. I'm not at a small or mega gym. We are medium size with quality teams top to bottom. I'd welcome any gym "name" to
my area. I'm comfortable in my skills as a coach and manager to continue to succeed. If a "name" moved into town and we lost business I would FIRST look internal before making external excuses.

So is cheer athletics building a new facility in Austin or are they taking over a program? Also I heard Cali bullets had over 100 families at an interest meeting for there Ontario location.. Is that true

My theory...I know no one can say if it's true or not but I'm throwing it out there...
I think it's a Stealth/Heat deal...I know someone pm'd me and said that it wasn't but I'm not so sure now. Their facebook page is dead, nothing on twitter, and today the website disappeared. Shapel/Tommy will not let that gym go down without a fight...even if it means merging with a big name. They should be advertising tryouts like every other gym in AZ right now. I know they competed this past weekend in Anaheim as Heat but where are they even practicing? Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I hope not. That was an amazing program back in the day....Stealth could totally bring them back.

It's definitely not Stealth/Heat. I am best friends with Tommy and Shapel and I'm on Stealth Phoenix. I could how people could think that, but it is incorrect. Tommy is also competing with Stealth Phoenix. He is working very hard to bring Heat back to where it used to be. They practice three times a week! And as an alumni of Arizona Heat's coed team back in 2008 and 2009, I know he can do it, as Arizona heat! Stealth is no where near interested in buying out another gym in a location because they are rapidly expanding their gym in Costa Mesa! :)

It's definitely not Stealth/Heat. I am best friends with Tommy and Shapel and I'm on Stealth Phoenix. I could how people could think that, but it is incorrect. Tommy is also competing with Stealth Phoenix. He is working very hard to bring Heat back to where it used to be. They practice three times a week! And as an alumni of Arizona Heat's coed team back in 2008 and 2009, I know he can do it, as Arizona heat! Stealth is no where near interested in buying out another gym in a location because they are rapidly expanding their gym in Costa Mesa! :)

I have no doubts that they can do it but like Yojaehs said above it takes a lot of effort to keep a business going. Lack of a website or any type of social media makes it hard to grow interest, some programs (like Rain) have barely opened and already have pro shops up and running. I had to do some digging just to find a current address that could be google mapped. We were at Heat 2004-2008, and it was probably the most successful program in the valley next to DSE (at the time Power was incognito with only a senior 5 team). To see (from the outside) that it appears to be in the throes of a downward spiral is saddening. JMitch was a pain sometimes but he kept that place on top.
I mean this was the first gym in AZ to send a team to Worlds, sent one of the 1st junior 5 teams to Worlds, and was open longer than any other gym in AZ.

So is cheer athletics building a new facility in Austin or are they taking over a program? Also I heard Cali bullets had over 100 families at an interest meeting for there Ontario location.. Is that true
Yes it's true. It was packed! A lot of familiar faces and new faces from the area and Tannaz was there. I think they were surprised at the number of people that showed up. I'm sure they will have a great tryout. Gym is alittle small but I'm sure it will all work out. I don't think they will have a level 5 team out if this location. Just level 1-4. Excited to see how this season turns out

It's not Cali Power, especially when they have a location in Livermore.

From what I remember the Power gym and the Livermore area/cali gym are a good 1:45 minutes away from each other without traffic. So it could be feasible, not saying it would happen but its far enough away I would think.

Yes it's true. It was packed! A lot of familiar faces and new faces from the area and Tannaz was there. I think they were surprised at the number of people that showed up. I'm sure they will have a great tryout. Gym is alittle small but I'm sure it will all work out. I don't think they will have a level 5 team out if this location. Just level 1-4. Excited to see how this season turns out

So did Cali buy out the gymnastics club or are they renting space?

So did Cali buy out the gymnastics club or are they renting space?
Just renting space. But honestly if all the people who were at parent meeting tryout I can see them needing their own gym. They are going to have the gym 4 hours 3 days a week. That's the plan as of now.

Yes - there were lots of people at the the California Al Stars Ontario informational parent meeting. The plan is to rent space from this gymnastics facility for the whole season. We will watch the growth of the gym before deciding what the plan will be for next season.

Yes - there were lots of people at the the California Al Stars Ontario informational parent meeting. The plan is to rent space from this gymnastics facility for the whole season. We will watch the growth of the gym before deciding what the plan will be for next season.

Thanks for the update.. Are you going to be attending this gym?

Back