All-Star Express Ups

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
There is already a thread about this in the "Skills" section but low and behold I created it. No one answered me - Im assuming because barely anyone even goes there ! You cant compete with the All Star Discussion count at 6,000 ! lol so lets try again

my middle school team is ready to learn the ever so fun express up. Starting set on left leg and then switch up to your right leg.

I know they can do it, I however am really not good at explaining things. I can show them how to do it on the ground but I would like to know some tips on how to teach them and tell them how to do it so they are confident and understand how its done.

I know they wont hit it their first time but I want to try them and get the girls throwing them a bit to see if it is do able !

Any tips and suggestions ? Grip, confidence, flyer wise?

So like a switch up? Thats what we called them lol.
Flyers, when you switch kept that lib foot in close. It looks really ugly when you kick it out on the way up and then have to bring it back in (if that makes sense)

I always tell my flyers to pretend like they're doing a hurdle before a roundoff (the ugly "cheerleader" hurdle with the chest up :rolleyes:) this has helped them lift themselves versus relying on the bases toss

They need to be fast and aggressive about the switch, but dont "stomp down" on the bases. Flyer need to be light in their feet but like I said fast and aggressive. Flyers lock out your knees and stay tight so incase the bases dot have to greatest catch, they can still save the stunt. Flyers, dont think that u ate switching legs, like about replacing one foot with another. You foot should be caught in the same line as it was tbrown, the bases shouldnt be moving that much to catch it. Bases use your legs, try and catch it with your legs bent a little so that u can resist the catch and then once you catch and resist you stand up all the way. Backs...uhhh yeah I don't remember any of the tips I heard for back spots last year cuz my team did these. Hope this was some what helpful/ able to understand.

My team did these last year and as a back I always made sure to put a lot of strength into pushing her up, it's important that the flyer gets good height to switch especially when first learning how to do them.

Bases need to be fast of the bottom and should be "flicking" the foot at about neck level. This means that they should NOT be throwing at/near the top. Bases need to catch with arms locked and legs bent. If bases catch with legs straight this will cause the flyers to basically 'bounce off' the stunt, the stunt needs to be absorbed in order to stay up. Bases must stay close together (ie. touching!) the minute a base steps out the stunt will come down. They also need to think of not moving their hands. All bases need to do is an open close motion with their fingers, their hands should NEVER come apart.

Flyers need to replace their foot and they need to do it EVERY TIME! Ever if a top is generally switching to one side every time bases can usually adjust so flyers need to be sure not to make any drastic changes each time or bases will never know where to catch. The minute a flyer switches to their heal their bum will go backwards and the stunt will fall. Flyers much switch to their toe and roll to their heal. To make it easier on their bases, its important that the push off their bases straight up and not forward. And of course, always switch to a straight leg with even hips. Also, ensure that the shoulders arn't pulled too much back, they should be in line with hips.

Backspots, be sure to push your flyer straight up with lots of power. Also, you need to be the first person on that ankle that is switching so be sure to grab it high and right away. We've found that if they catch with their pointer finger going straight up the flag while the rest of the hand is squeezing the ankle this can help stabilize the stunt. Although its very important for backspots to squeeze they must not forgot to lift up on the stunt!

That being said I'm assuming my express up you mean switch up :p
Thats all i can think of for now! If i think of any more tips ill be sure to post

For a flyer I always think about delaying the switch as often the problem can be switching too early so the bases cant release the foot as the flyer has already switched. So my mentality is "left lib.. right lib" so i literally pull a left lib and replace it with the right lib/heelstretch etc and be as light on my feet as possible!

When I started learning switch up (as a flyer) I was always switching to early. The flyer really needs to learn how to wait for the pop and not be too fast. For me, it got better by just doing it over and over again until i somehow got it right and after that point, it couldn't go wrong. :)

Thank you for all the tips and help ! I will take videos and post them ! We have a youtube channel "littleredcheer" --- Hopefully with your help we can hit them !

The best way to learn is to have them do it onto a box about knee hight, put a mark on the box so they know they have to replace the foot in the same place. Personally I like to have them do it to low lib first, then braced and then by themselves for safety. Some don't like this method as doing it straight to extended level is often considered
'easier' especially for the bases. I also make sure that they can lib on the incorrect leg perfectly (no bent knees etc.) as they will have to stand up quickly and confidently on that leg on the way up. Seeing the skill done is also very helpful so you may want to find a youtube video and show them first or demo it yourself.

Hope that helps!

Back