Flyer Vs Tumbling Skills Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 14, 2015
Hi, I am a newbie :)

I have a question about being a flyer. When I cheered many many years ago ... it was rare for a flyer to have good tumbling skills... meaning, I did gymnastics before I joined cheer..because back in my day (in the 90s), competitive cheer was more-or-less sideline cheer. It sure isn't what it is today.

But now a days, kids have the tumbling skills AND stunt skills. So here is my question. If your kid has level 3 tumbling skills and almost in level 4, tried out for level 3 tumbling skills AND also as a flyer ... but my kid was put on a level 2 team for the 3rd year in a row, is that because they want her to be a flyer? Just seems odd for tumbling skills for a level 2.. and all teams are large at the gym she goes to.

How are her flying skills or even basing skills for that matter? Are they level 2 or level 3? Because that might give you better insight into her placement. Placing athletes on a team is like putting together a puzzle where all the pieces need to fit.

I do not think it is unreasonable to request a meeting with the coach and ask what skills she needs to work on over this upcoming season to be considered for a higher level next year. This might give you a better idea as to her current placement.

How are her flying skills or even basing skills for that matter? Are they level 2 or level 3? Because that might give you better insight into her placement. Placing athletes on a team is like putting together a puzzle where all the pieces need to fit.

I do not think it is unreasonable to request a meeting with the coach and ask what skills she needs to work on over this upcoming season to be considered for a higher level next year. This might give you a better idea as to her current placement.
Her flying skills are on a 2.5 level.

Is the level 3 team youth/junior/senior? If it's only offered at a senior level, then maybe they want to keep her with athletes more her age. That's just an idea. Another idea is that they want her to really perfect her level 3 tumbling before she moves up. You are correct, every stunt position needs to be well-rounded these days. If her standing series back handsprings and round off back handspring tuck are solid, then she can work on specialty passes like front tucks, etc to really make her competitive for a level 3 team next year. If such a thing is offered at your gym, invest in flyer classes or open gyms where your CP can take her flying to the next level and learn those more difficult level 3 skills. Hard work will pay off and the coaches will notice!!

Another thing that you have to consider is the skills of everyone trying out. If your CP has beginning L3 skills while others are solid with specialty passes then she may not have been what they needed for the team. Also, how are her jumps? That's one skill that is overlooked so many times.
I agree with speaking to the coaches. Not to complain, but just to ask for clarification.

Even at large gyms, flying positions at all levels are scarce. If she doesn't have all of the required level 3 flying skills (360, twist cradle, extended flying skills, all that jazz), it's likely that there are other flyers who have already mastered those skills. I'll bet some of the flyers put on level 3 teams are in the same position as your kid. It only gets more competitive the higher up the level ladder you go. A large gym also means that they have a large number of athletes to choose from, and simply being with the program for several years does not necessarily mean that she'll automatically make a higher level team.

Other posters have already recommended asking for clarifications from the coaches. If they do not have flyer/base classes where she can improve her skills, it may be worth looking at other nearby gyms to see if those programs offer classes.

Does your gym have a history of placing kids on teams below their level in the hopes of winning more or are they often accused of sandbagging?

**If you must negative rate me please tag me in a post and let me know so I can celebrate**

Back