All-Star Flyers- Average Weight/height?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

thanks for all the feedback.. allthese years I was told I had to be on sr 5 coed to fly, im on a coed but funny my bases and backer are all girls Id say with in 15 lbs of me and my backer is like 5'7 .. I hope if there are any other taller girls out there who ever wanted to fly, see this thread. not to let anyone put restrictions on your hopes " never say never" i guess :)
what team are you on?

Our third quarter of our Homecoming game each year is our "Alumni Quarter". Anyone who cheered varsity and is back can come call chants and stunt around with us. Turns out our school's secretary was a high school cheerleader. I backspotted her in a prep....sponging was nice and awkward.
But seriously. I'm convinced anyone can do it if you're confident about it.

Anyone can be a flier if they are determined! Weight doesn't matter as long as you can hold your own and hit the body positions. I myself am an abnormality as I am 5'1" and 94 lbs. I'm not cheering this year but I have been a flier in the past and my bases said I can get heavy if I don't squeeze the whole time.

There is no average W/H for a flyer. It's all about you.
I was a average ish weight for my age when i did fly and I was one of the bigger flyers, but that means nothing, because if I flew on another one of our teams I was on the smaller side. For high school I was even a smaller side of the flyers. As long as you can stay in the air and do your thing, it shouldn't matter. I'm 5"0 so everyone assumes I'm a flyer, does that mean i automatically am? no. I flew for two years Allstar, and based the rest, and flew my senior year on varsity.

This is slightly unrelated/related but I have a question.. anyone here who has stopped cheering found that they lost weight? (i'm thinking due to the loss of your cheer muscle?) I lost a few pounds this year and the only think i've done differently exercise/food wise is stop cheering lol. just curious!

There is no certain size for a flyer to be. As long as you are a good flyer (know how to hold your weight) and have good bases you should be fine.

Don't be worried about your weight. Worry more about your muscle mass and having strength to hold your own body weight. Look at the flyers on Marlins Tsunami for an example: they are NORMAL sized girls but they have muscle that helps them make themselves feel lighter.

I can't agree more. Those girls look like actual teens and still have amazing flexablity.

Weight shouldn't really be an issue. To prove that, once my coach made us fly her (She's about 5"6 and 160 pounds) and she was was just as light and maybe even lighter than out flyer who was 5"0 and 100 pounds. Its all about balancing your weight evenly and staying tight. The smallest girl can be the heaviest if she can't hold her weight. So don't you fret :)

My main flyer is about 5'1 120 pounds of pure muscle. She feels like a feather. I had to stunt with one of the younger girls for a couple practices whos about 5'3 probably and 98 pounds. She was a limp noodle and felt like she weighed so much more. with flying it is for sure quality over quantity.

I hate when people say "your too big". Seriously I am 5'4 weigh 110-115 and the girls on my HS team say I'm too big...these girls have been basing fetuses for years and don't really have strength. Having based and fly on an competitive level, I know that I am normal and there's nothing wrong with me. The only time you could be too big to fly is if there is much smaller girls who can't base you.

This is slightly unrelated/related but I have a question.. anyone here who has stopped cheering found that they lost weight? (i'm thinking due to the loss of your cheer muscle?) I lost a few pounds this year and the only think i've done differently exercise/food wise is stop cheering lol. just curious!

One of my daughter's friends quit all star this year and hasn't cheered since March. She says that her thighs are smaller and that she has lost weight.

taller flyers are my favorite! i think long legs make body positions look so much more beautiful and graceful.
I'm so glad when people say taller flyers look better in the air...especially when they are flexible. My daughter is 5'7", weighs 107 lbs and is very flexible and sometimes gets overlooked as a flyer because of her height. Last season she was on a coed team but that is basically the only way she would be able to stay in the air if she is on a coed team...so they say!

Back