College Forced To Forfeit Nca Title

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Anyway that isn't my real point but this is. The COACH had to sign a waiver for EACH participant that had their number of hours currently enrolled. Ok that sounds easy BUT there is more, attached to this waiver must be the athletes CLASS SCHEDULE and the waiver is to be signed by the schools REGISTAR'S OFFICE before it is turned in at check-in.

So my next question/comment is did the school sign off on this not knowing what it was for or did the coach forge the signature needed OR did NCA overlook that these forms were not turned in for this/these athletes? This situation seems a lot more sticky then it seems on the surface. Someone didn't do their job correctly and fingers may need to be pointed at more then just the coach.

My best guess is the school signed off on a roster, but not all of the rostered athletes took the floor.
Those forms are turned in before prelims even start and as far as I know are never looked at again once the participants receive their shoe tags, so pretty much anyone can walk in off the street and perform the routine.

My coach used to cheer for the coach at Cal State Long Beach. They are close friends, as well. I don't know why Eric did that. My main question is this: What the hell is gonna happen to CheerPROS? I love that competition!

I think it sucks for the other 17 (or however many) people on the team who worked hard all season to achieve a goal, and WERE legal. I just will never understand what possesses people to think it's ok to violate age requirements. You are putting everything on the line- your name, your school/program's name, the other kids on the team, etc. Is it really worth all of that just to have one or two additional bodies on the floor?

I mean, just work without it... that small amount of people isn't going to make that much of a difference IMO

Anyone know the difference in insurance costs if a team is fully competitive, ground bound, cant throw baskets... all of that? Is it all the same price or are there REALLY differences?

Anyone know the difference in insurance costs if a team is fully competitive, ground bound, cant throw baskets... all of that? Is it all the same price or are there REALLY differences?

I'd be surprised if anyone can accurately compile this information. From what I understand insurance laiblity policies for cheer are not entirely accurate. If so I am sure they would not allow as many high school teams to be coached by uncertified coaches or they wouldn't allow them to instruct skills they are not qualified to supervise or teach.

I'd be surprised if anyone can accurately compile this information. From what I understand insurance laiblity policies for cheer are not entirely accurate. If so I am sure they would not allow as many high school teams to be coached by uncertified coaches or they wouldn't allow them to instruct skills they are not qualified to supervise or teach.

So, the question is, why are schools not allowing skills? Is it truly insurance premiums or the threat of insurance premiums?

So, the question is, why are schools not allowing skills? Is it truly insurance premiums or the threat of insurance premiums?

I've never heard insurance premiums having anything to do with with. I believe it is school administrator knee-jerk reaction.

Another example of where a college level governing body of a UNIFIED group of competitive cheer programs would provide standards and guidance for both the programs and school administrations to follow.

All I keep thinking about it the SFA team - they have the title now, gee thanks. They didn't get that intense moment at awards when you know you're either 2nd or 1st and suddenly you know - you've WON. Of course the title is huge, but that moment of victory is unique and they were robbed.

No excuses, no sympathy for those who cheat. But isn't it possible some of the CSULB cheerleaders didn't know - how horrible for them and how betrayed they must feel. Not to mention they are now painted with that same brush.

I know of some "high profile" colleges that have done this in the past and never got caught.....NCA just chooses who they want to catch.

I know of some "high profile" colleges that have done this in the past and never got caught.....NCA just chooses who they want to catch.

Let's be careful to separate frustration at the system and cheaters from conspiracy theory accusations. It's fair to say this hasn't been policed well in the past. This case is one where a complaint was made and the school itself made it public.

All I keep thinking about it the SFA team - they have the title now, gee thanks. They didn't get that intense moment at awards when you know you're either 2nd or 1st and suddenly you know - you've WON. Of course the title is huge, but that moment of victory is unique and they were robbed.
And this is the second time this same exact thing happened to SFA!

I just checked the NCA rule book and it sort of confused me be it said that the student but be a full-time student at their school or be taking a minimum of 9 credit hours. Is full time not usually 12 hours at most schools? So why say full time then say 9 hours? Seems like silly wording to me.

Anyway that isn't my real point but this is. The COACH had to sign a waiver for EACH participant that had their number of hours currently enrolled. Ok that sounds easy BUT there is more, attached to this waiver must be the athletes CLASS SCHEDULE and the waiver is to be signed by the schools REGISTAR'S OFFICE before it is turned in at check-in.

So my next question/comment is did the school sign off on this not knowing what it was for or did the coach forge the signature needed OR did NCA overlook that these forms were not turned in for this/these athletes? This situation seems a lot more sticky then it seems on the surface. Someone didn't do their job correctly and fingers may need to be pointed at more then just the coach.
In grad school (and most military branches), 9 credits is considered full time. Thus, 9 credits should be universal across the board to account for all student types.

In grad school (and most military branches), 9 credits is considered full time. Thus, 9 credits should be universal across the board to account for all student types.

Well I figured that but then in the same statement it mentions that graduating seniors and grad students could take fewer credits then what was mentioned. I get what they are saying I just feel they need to word it better.

For those who mentioned the other members of the team. I do not feel sorry for them AT ALL because I am willing to bet they all knew. It would be hard for them to tell me they didn't when the athletes from what I understand were on the team at the beginning of the year and graduated. This is against the rules and they should have known that and brought it up before they headed to Daytona. If it were that easy for me to find the rules online then they should have read and known the rules as well since they were the ones going for a national title. If I were on a team that was cheating like this when it is clearly stated in the rules the person has to be enrolled in school then I would refuse to participate with said athletes on mat and if they did not take them off mat I would turn them in for cheating. Who cares who gets mad at me for being a snitch it is better then lying and cheating.

Back