All-Star Foreclosure: All Star Cheerleading's Newest Trend?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That totally breaks my heart too! It seems like a combination of poor business on the gyms part and the not thinking clearly on the parents part. They should have never taken a cash payment and not give a receipt. Considering the parents financial situation they definitely should have thought twice about giving cash with no receipt. It's a sad situation :(.

And i found that out after the fact i cheered there... I heard it happened to a couple of other parents too...

Unfortunately, I've heard of, and know, a LOT of people who continue to keep their children in cheer after losing jobs, or becoming unable to work for a time, and they go into massive debt - either to the gym (because the gym allows the child to continue to cheer even with a balance,) or to other agencies because the gym wouldn't allow the balance.
There is a fine line between believing that financial problems are temporary and when the family actually has to sacrifice. Does it stink? Of course, but ultimately, family, home, health, food and lights come first.
I'm with you, @CheerMomNTx , it is just cheer! And I'm cringing as I say it:eek:

I have seen this ever since we started cheer...I have known multiple families that have been in foreclosure but still buy their kid A&F clothes, MissMe jeans, and pay for all star cheer. One mother was so in denial her cp's father threatened to take her to court if she didn't screw her head on tighter. We live in a very materialistic society where kids have begun to expect what they see on Super Sweet 16, like it's the norm to get a brand new car on your 16th birthday. They watch shows like the Kardashians and think they can afford to live that way also. I also think it has to do with the "social scene" of cheer. For some mom's cheer is where their friends are as well, so to take a season off involves losing those "friends".
If an unforeseen circumstance happens halfway through the season I can see a gym trying to help out so the athlete can at least finish the season. What I don't expect is for the gym to foot the bill the entire season, if you can't afford the money from the start, don't start the season. There is so much hand holding in our society that I think people have forgotten how to prioritize or are just in denial about their financial situation. I mean come on, if that wackadoo on RHONJ can figure out how to cut back, we all should be able to....

Wow, this is the first i have heard of something like this. It is shocking to me that this happens! I love my kids but if i cant pay my mortage for ONE month cheer would be the first to go! My daughter loves it and would be heartbroken to have to leave but i am pretty sure she would be more heartbroken to not have a house. It is actually a little funny that these parents live in such a fantasy world where whether cheer comes before mortgage is even a question. Economic times are hard i think we all know that but come on people be realistic here.

I have seen this ever since we started cheer...I have known multiple families that have been in foreclosure but still buy their kid A&F clothes, MissMe jeans, and pay for all star cheer. One mother was so in denial her cp's father threatened to take her to court if she didn't screw her head on tighter. We live in a very materialistic society where kids have begun to expect what they see on Super Sweet 16, like it's the norm to get a brand new car on your 16th birthday. They watch shows like the Kardashians and think they can afford to live that way also. I also think it has to do with the "social scene" of cheer. For some mom's cheer is where their friends are as well, so to take a season off involves losing those "friends".
If an unforeseen circumstance happens halfway through the season I can see a gym trying to help out so the athlete can at least finish the season. What I don't expect is for the gym to foot the bill the entire season, if you can't afford the money from the start, don't start the season. There is so much hand holding in our society that I think people have forgotten how to prioritize or are just in denial about their financial situation. I mean come on, if that wackadoo on RHONJ can figure out how to cut back, we all should be able to....

I agree with the materialistic society...It's getting out of control. Parents feel they have to provide thier cp's with everything ....They have to keep up with the Jones and the Jones kids. What is shown on the outside is not what is shown on the inside. Maybe when these families get into serious trouble it seems odd to the rest of us because of the persona they have displayed. My kids may not have i phones and mac books but they do have a college savings account!!

There are definitely people out there in serious need of some personal finance lessons if losing the house is a lower priority than just about everything else. (But this is probably a topic I need to stay away from. I get riled by seeing "low income housing" developments filled with DirecTv satellite dishes.) I think it is scary what people feel entitled to.

There are definitely people out there in serious need of some personal finance lessons if losing the house is a lower priority than just about everything else. (But this is probably a topic I need to stay away from. I get riled by seeing "low income housing" developments filled with DirecTv satellite dishes.) I think it is scary what people feel entitled to.

amen

Ok, my post came across a bit more harsh than I intended it to (I wasn't saying people can't chose DirecTV over whatever else, because for some it is a priority, it just isn't for me.) But I think the point is the same. I had someone once ask me for money for the bus...with a Starbucks coffee in his hand.

Ok, my post came across a bit more harsh than I intended it to (I wasn't saying people can't chose DirecTV over whatever else, because for some it is a priority, it just isn't for me.) But I think the point is the same. I had someone once ask me for money for the bus...with a Starbucks coffee in his hand.

Harsh might be just what the Dr ordered in these trying times...reality checks are sometimes painful!

I love cheerleading more than anything else in life, but if it got to the point that I had to choose between cheerleading and my house, let's be realistic, I would have to choose my house. It's a privilege to cheer, and if you can't afford it you have to do what's best for your family.

I would think for most in a situation like this, its not a choice between cheerleading and your mortgage. If you mortgage is 2000.00 a month and cheer is 250.00 a month, more than likely that 250.00 isn't gonna help you keep your home if the home is just too much for them to handle in the first place. They'd be losing their home with or without cheer. Those pesky little mortgage companies sorta want ALL their money each month, just not what you can pay. Though I will agree, if you were only 250.00 a month short on your mortgage, cheer should be put aside until times aren't so tough.

I feel for parents in this situation, and isn't always because they are idiots or stupid with their money (though some are just that). And when it comes down to someone losing their home, they want their kids to feel some kind of security in their life because everything else may be falling apart. That 250.00 won't make or break them, but a huge mortgage sure will.

Living in debt, the American way it seems to be now.

I agree with what @BubbleToes is saying.
Maybe it's just my daughters gym but unless you moved out of the area.. You are still responsible for those fees if you leave/quit. Now your not really responsible for like the actual competitions or warmups, but I'm pretty sure your still at least responsible for the monthly part of it. I could be wrong or I heard wrong but I really don't care I'm not leaving mid season! However, I brought this up because why owe 2 people money when you could just owe 1.

I also don't understand how people don't have money to pay for cheer. I'm a single mom, without a college degree. I don't get help from the state- no food stamps, gov't housing, or insurance. I have my own place and I pay my bills,(electric, water, phone, insurance, food). My parents don't fund money into my bank account and I'm 23.

I have no problem paying for my daughters cheer fees, (monthly, $300 uniform, another uniform for the 2nd team she is on, warm ups, shoes, competition fees for both teams, extra tumbling class, camp fees, coaches fee, music) I also still find money for a 1 hr private every week for $30. So how is it I can budget money and make it happen? I definitely don't fundraise- I only sold 2 containers of cookie dough all last season! Lol

I figure if you want your daughter or son to have something bad enough you can make it happen.
Why don't you stop eating out? Or maybe just quit smoking a pack a day? The weekly buys of alcohol to get drunk for what? Maybe getting your hair done every month? Maybe it's just your nails?

So maybe all of that wouldn't stop you from losing your house but would certainly help free up money for something else.

Honestly, if a family bought a house they knew they couldnt afford, its their own fault. But, if the family could afford it when they bought it but something happened like a parent lost a job, I feel the gym should help them by giving them options.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the gym owes them anything, maybe just a little leniency, but thats about it. What if the gym owners are facing foreclosure due to members not paying their fees ontime? Who knows what each of our own battles are in life. To presume that others should let you slide or need to give you a break because you've hit hard times seems a little odd to me.

A hand up is helpful and selfless, to expect it or feel entitled to it is selfish.

Wasn't this part of the problem of this economic bust in the first place? People taking credit out on things they couldn't afford, trying to buy huge things they didn't need, and trying to buy/live in big houses that were WAY outside of a feasible price range, particularly if they plan to have kids (I think I remember reading somewhere that kids can cost at minimum $20,000-50,000 a year), and not having the money to pay ANY of it back? Or am I thinking of the Great Depression? Granted, usually it's all similar causes..

Yes. People are/were using credit to live beyond their means. This where I am baffled by the "entitlement" some people seem to have. People want to blame credit card companies, or basically anyone but themselves, for getting in over their head.

Back