From Flyer To Base?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I honestly feel like anyone put in the position would be upset. If you spent your break taking stunting classes telling everyone about the skill you just got, being so proud of yourself only to feel like it was in vain.

I'm a flyer but I actually think learning to base would be an awesome skill (I've actually been thinking about asking my coach to teach me how to do some basing) - if you ever do get to fly again it will make you SUCH a better flyer cause you'll have a real understanding of how important it is to stay tight and commit to skills etc. All the girls I've seen who have done both basing and flyers are often better flyers because of their understanding on what's happening underneath them.

I definitely think speak up to your coach and say that you're a little scared - see if some extra time can be taken to go over the basics with you so you feel more confident. Also mention that you love to fly and keep stretching and working on lines etc in your own time, cause you never know if you have the right attitude and someone gets injured or something then you may get a chance to fly again too.
I agree, I'll talk to her. It was a little intimidating having never based on our team before to be basing a heel stretch... Maybe that's why I was so freaked out about the whole thing

Last edited:
Here's the thing with flying, as someone who flew for most of her cheer career, and now coaches high school and all star, I'm going t0 say this all as nicely as possible:

1. The needs of the team change every year. Example: Most years I have more girls interested in flying than I actually need. It's part of life.

2. Size and weight matter. Yes. They matter. I said it. But they matter in comparison to the rest of the team. For example, at 5'2, you may have been the smallest, lightest, most flexible flyer last season. This year's talent likely included some that were smaller and more flexible than you. Another fact of life. There is always someone out there younger, more flexible, and hungrier for your spot than you are.

3. Coaches are in the business of building a TEAM. Not giving everyone the position that they want. Think about it. If everyone had their way, my Senior 3 would be 22 flyers and no bases.

4. Consider that the smaller and more flexible flyers are much harder to place on a team if they are NOT flying. YOU have the potential to do both. That makes you an easier to place girl. Putting YOU in a flyer spot leaves nowhere for 90 lb 5'0 Kelly who has no hope in the world of EVER basing anyone. What is she supposed to do? Nugget in the back?

5. Versatility in cheer gets you MUCH farther than being a "one-role" girl because you are more valuable to the team. You don't know how many "FLYER ONLY" girls get cut from college teams because, well, there are 40 of them trying out and most of them can't do anything except fly.

This is true. Once again I was very upset so I wasn't very rational. I went from being the tinyiest flyer to having 3 girls that are smaller than me join the team. I'll just do what I have to do and then kill the dance portion!

I honestly feel like anyone put in the position would be upset. If you spent your break taking stunting classes telling everyone about the skill you just got, being so proud of yourself only to feel like it was in vain.

My oldest CP was a flyer for 5 years. She went through a growth spurt. So, she was changed to a side base. Although she was sad at first, she made the best of it. Now she enjoys basing. She still stretches and works on her positions.

My oldest CP was a flyer for 5 years. She went through a growth spurt. So, she was changed to a side base. Although she was sad at first, she made the best of it. Now she enjoys basing. She still stretches and works on her positions.
I'll do that. One can never be too flexible. I might even enjoy basing more as the season progresses too.

Basing grows on you. I was in the opposite situation as you. Based all my life and then got forced into flying in college. The wonderful thing about being a good base is that your flyer truly appreciates you. You are the hero between her and the ground. You are the one holding her in the air making her look good.

You'll be very good at it, I imagine, because you've experienced both sides and know how hard it is to be a flyer. Use that experience to encourage your new flyers and help them learn and grow.

Basing grows on you. I was in the opposite situation as you. Based all my life and then got forced into flying in college. The wonderful thing about being a good base is that your flyer truly appreciates you. You are the hero between her and the ground. You are the one holding her in the air making her look good.

You'll be very good at it, I imagine, because you've experienced both sides and know how hard it is to be a flyer. Use that experience to encourage your new flyers and help them learn and grow.
I hope so! I tried basing just for fun at the gym I go to for stunting and it was cool and they were all professionals (got to base my coaches for a prep/elevator) so I didn't feel any of the pressure I do now .

Hopefully I can have the same experience on my college team as well.

And can anyone answer my question about being 5'2 and 117 being "too heavy" to fly on what's basically an all girl team(we have one boy)?
Your original comment about size was a statement and not a questions so why would anyone answer it?

From your comments I will guess you are very fit and about the same size as some other fliers I know, but sounds like the rest of your team is not physically strong. Not your problem.

Your original comment about size was a statement and not a questions so why would anyone answer it?

From your comments I will guess you are very fit and about the same size as some other fliers I know, but sounds like the rest of your team is not physically strong. Not your problem.
I figured someone would have touched on it at some point. But thank you for replying.

Is there anything I can do to make basing more enjoyable? The fact that I literally have someone elses life in my hands is super scary.
Also, I was told that I'm "too heavy" for the new bases. I'm 5'2 and 117lbs, mostly muscle.
When I was a sophomore in high school I was switched to basing and I was devastated. I didn't understand why as one of the smallest on the team I was being grounded. But once we found a stunt group that worked we worked our butts off to be the most stable stunt group on the team. Coach wanted to try a new stunt? We were her guinea pig. That to me made it more enjoyable. Knowing that I could be good in more than one position on the team made me feel important. I still would mess around and fly but when it came to competing my team needed another base and I was the only flyer suitable for the job. Try to take it as a compliment that your coaches think you're strong enough to base. Bases don't always get the credit they deserve but they are BEASTS. You might fly again someday but until that day comes try to make the best of your current situation.

Yeah that's a good way to look at it...
I'm just sad and bitter about not flying is all lol
And this attitude is absolute POSION to a team. You have to get over your disappointment, move on, and contribute to your team or decide that it isn't for you and move on.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh,but we deal with "wannabe flyer syndrome" every year and everyone involved will end up miserable if you don't change your attitude.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

When I was a sophomore in high school I was switched to basing and I was devastated. I didn't understand why as one of the smallest on the team I was being grounded. But once we found a stunt group that worked we worked our butts off to be the most stable stunt group on the team. Coach wanted to try a new stunt? We were her guinea pig. That to me made it more enjoyable. Knowing that I could be good in more than one position on the team made me feel important. I still would mess around and fly but when it came to competing my team needed another base and I was the only flyer suitable for the job. Try to take it as a compliment that your coaches think you're strong enough to base. Bases don't always get the credit they deserve but they are BEASTS. You might fly again someday but until that day comes try to make the best of your current situation.

I'll make that my next goal then. Be the best stunt group on that mat. I guess it is better to be an all around cheerleader than just a flyer who can ONLY fly. Glad I could get advice from someone else whose been in the same position.

And this attitude is absolute POSION to a team. You have to get over your disappointment, move on, and contribute to your team or decide that it isn't for you and move on.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh,but we deal with "wannabe flyer syndrome" every year and everyone involved will end up miserable if you don't change your attitude.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Currently trying my best to put a positive spin on it. There's always next season and rec teams. A flyer can't fly without bases anyway so I have to do what's best for the team. It'll benefit me and make me a more versatile cheerleader. I'll stick it out and try to be the best base I can

Back