All-Star Ga Vs. Rays - Again

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That was on the interlocking SC logo worn by our (2010 and 2011 National Champion) baseball team. Trust me, I read ALL UP on this case because it frustrated me until I read the details.. We cannot claim full rights to the logo but we still use it and sell merchandise with it on it so really, nothing has changed.

South Carolina was established as a school before California was even admitted as a state in the union. Also Lane Kiffen sucks. That's the extent of my argument haha. I wish the schools would play more often! Currently we are 1-1 in football. I think a USC/USC matchup would be great!

Congrats on the rise of your program! I hope yall continue to grow

This is bound to stir up a boatload of hate, but I don't get this concept. I'm not trying to disrespect sideline cheer but it seems odd that any college would question whether an allstar world champion could handle sideline cheer.

I realize they are two different things, with different foci, but I would think anyone who can bring in a worlds ring can be successful in the college focus. I would also think college coaches would know that. And if that college competes at NCA or UCA, so much the better for having a seasoned competitor in their ranks.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
While I don't disagree with you that a Worlds caliber cheerleader can't be a great sideline cheerleader, I don't think that just because someone has a Worlds ring, means that they can automatically be a great sideline cheerleader. Sideline cheering is much more then level 5 tumbling. Since the majority of all-star routines have taken out the cheer portion and are now focused on tumbling, building skills and dance technique, the sharpness in motions that are required in sideline cheering, are no longer stressed in all- star cheer. The performance aspect between the two types of cheer are vastly different from each other. I would put my level 4 non-Worlds winning, fantastic sideline CP up against a ring-bearing level 5 cheerleader any day.

On a side note, she is working on level 5 skills now so I am hoping that she can be a ring-bearing Worlds and a great college cheerleader some day! :)

Some schools still put a lot of emphasis in crowd involvement and being able to handle the pressure of a game and always having a smile on your face. But. I do think schools are moving away from that because IMO and allstar cheerleader can be taught how to hold a sign and learn a homecoming dance.
I agree and disagree. I think A LOT of colleges put emphasis on crowd involvement and crowd leadership. With a lot of big name schools (such as OSU, San Diego State, and many others) cheering at games is a priority and comes first over competing. Even at my little college, games come first even though we barely get a crowd and competition is a privilege. I do not think schools are moving away from that anytime soon.
However, I do agree that it is much easier to teach crowd leading skills and to hold a sign than it is to learn elite level stunts and tumbling. Not to say that all strictly high school cheerleaders don't have elite stunting or tumbling, but I definitely think all star cheerleaders have an advantage. And this is coming from a cheerleader who has never done all stars.

While I don't disagree with you that a Worlds caliber cheerleader can't be a great sideline cheerleader, I don't think that just because someone has a Worlds ring, means that they can automatically be a great sideline cheerleader. Sideline cheering is much more then level 5 tumbling. Since the majority of all-star routines have taken out the cheer portion and are now focused on tumbling, building skills and dance technique, the sharpness in motions that are required in sideline cheering, are no longer stressed in all- star cheer. The performance aspect between the two types of cheer are vastly different from each other. I would put my level 4 non-Worlds winning, fantastic sideline CP up against a ring-bearing level 5 cheerleader any day.

On a side note, she is working on level 5 skills now so I am hoping that she can be a ring-bearing Worlds and a great college cheerleader some day! :)
I think she meant more that it's easier to teach a level-5 Worlds athlete proper motions and to cheer, rather than teach a non Worlds athlete (non level 5) the difficulty in tumbling, stunting, etc. I didn't think she was trying to knock sideline cheer at all. At least that was my impression. :)

That must be new, because we have had many athletes cheer for the University of Texas (including several I believe who did not cheer for their school team) and I have never heard this. This is not typical - in fact, that is the first and only school that I have run across with this type of policy. I would be curious to see if anyone ever actually gets turned down because of this.

I think she meant more that it's easier to teach a level-5 Worlds athlete proper motions and to cheer, rather than teach a non Worlds athlete (non level 5) the difficulty in tumbling, stunting, etc. I didn't think she was trying to knock sideline cheer at all. At least that was my impression. :)
You are correct, you just said it a lot better than I did :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I do know that many girls on my CPs Allstar teams have taken a year (or part of the year off) to cheer High School (typically Junior or Senior year) because they "needed it for college".

that's exactly it, I wasn't trying to knock sideline cheer I actually loved it more then competing 95 percent of the time and if State we to be on the same weekend of homecoming we wouldn't go. I actually wish sideline experience was stressed more at least at the colleges in m area it isn't the case/

I do know that many girls on my CPs Allstar teams have taken a year (or part of the year off) to cheer High School (typically Junior or Senior year) because they "needed it for college".
In Texas you don't have to choose. Most of the cheerleaders in our area do both high school and all-star. I know that some states don't allow that which is so odd. I am surprised that someone hasn't challenged that law/rule. It seems so illogical.

In Texas you don't have to choose. Most of the cheerleaders in our area do both high school and all-star. I know that some states don't allow that which is so odd. I am surprised that someone hasn't challenged that law/rule. It seems so illogical.

It's been challenged and I don't think it's "illegal" just that many HS coaches will set the schedule to make it impossible.

It's been challenged and I don't think it's "illegal" just that many HS coaches will set the schedule to make it impossible.
Ahh okay. I thought it was at the state level. In our area, thankfully, the school coaches and the all-star coaches actually do their best to work around each others schedules. At our gym, our owner doesn't schedule any competitions in the month of December for the older teams due to football playoffs. Our school coaches respect the all-star schedules because they know without all-star cheerleaders their programs wouldn't have near the talent.

Ahh okay. I thought it was at the state level. In our area, thankfully, the school coaches and the all-star coaches actually do their best to work around each others schedules. At our gym, our owner doesn't schedule any competitions in the month of December for the older teams due to football playoffs. Our school coaches respect the all-star schedules because they know without all-star cheerleaders their programs wouldn't have near the talent.

That's the way it should be.

That must be new, because we have had many athletes cheer for the University of Texas (including several I believe who did not cheer for their school team) and I have never heard this. This is not typical - in fact, that is the first and only school that I have run across with this type of policy. I would be curious to see if anyone ever actually gets turned down because of this.
BlueCat, I am not sure how long this requirement has been in place. I do know that it was there last year since one of the girls from my daughter's all-star team and high school squad tried out and made it last year and that was a requirement then.

I can guarantee JP is sitting back watching this whole thread laughing and rubbing his hands together with an evil grin lol
I can see it.

tumblr_inline_mm0rxmk9vf1qz4rgp.gif

Back