All-Star Ga Vs. Rays - Again

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Natalie.gif

Not sure if chair meant for my face or Jamie's... *insert Fry meme here*

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

If you're on a team and you've won a worlds ring, I'm sure you can make a college team no problem.

College cheer programs don't ask if a candidate has a Worlds ring, but they do want to know if you were a member of your high school's Varsity cheer program. In fact, some colleges require a candidate who was not on their school's Varsity cheer squad their Senior year to apply for an exemption to be eligible to tryout.

Can I tryout to be a cheerleader if I am not currently on my spirit squad?
If you are currently not on your spirit squad, you must submit a letter to appeal for exemption from this requirement. Please describe in the letter the circumstances that preclude you from being a member of your school's spirit group. The head coach will review your appeal, and will notify you if you will be eligible for tryouts.

College cheer programs don't ask if a candidate has a Worlds ring, but they do want to know if you were a member of your high school's Varsity cheer program. In fact, some colleges require a candidate who was not on their school's Varsity cheer squad their Senior year to apply for an exemption to be eligible to tryout.

If you are currently not on your spirit squad, you must submit a letter to appeal for exemption from this requirement. Please describe in the letter the circumstances that preclude you from being a member of your school's spirit group. The head coach will review your appeal, and will notify you if you will be eligible for tryouts.
Where is that? I don't know that I have ever heard anything like that and we have had hundreds of athletes go to cheer at many different colleges and universities. Many college coaches highly value all star athletes - I know we get sent recruiting information all of the time and have frequently had college coaches visiting our gym to recruit some of our athletes. I am sure that is true at other programs as well.

This is bound to stir up a boatload of hate, but I don't get this concept. I'm not trying to disrespect sideline cheer but it seems odd that any college would question whether an allstar world champion could handle sideline cheer.

I realize they are two different things, with different foci, but I would think anyone who can bring in a worlds ring can be successful in the college focus. I would also think college coaches would know that. And if that college competes at NCA or UCA, so much the better for having a seasoned competitor in their ranks.

Where is that? I don't know that I have ever heard anything like that and we have had hundreds of athletes go to cheer at many different colleges and universities. Many college coaches highly value all star athletes - I know we get sent recruiting information all of the time and have frequently had college coaches visiting our gym to recruit some of our athletes. I am sure that is true at other programs as well.
WOW!! I didn't know college cheer coaches went scouting at allstar gyms. Thought that was just for football baseball.
Do they go to competitions to look for athletes too??

By USC I'm assuming he means University of South Carolina, correct? Because the 'actual' USC does not even have a cheer team, only Spirit Leaders and Song Leaders

Actually, we do have one, and I'm on it! I wouldn't expect Fiereceboard people to know about it; the vast majority of the school doesn't even know we exist haha. However, our team this past year was considerably more organized/popular than it's been in years past, and our coach is even talking about potentially going to Daytona next spring depending on our tryouts/if we can get more funding!

As a little plug, check us out at USC Cheer | Facebook

Yes, USC is University of South Carolina. It was formed about 40 years before University of Southern California (aka SC)

:D

The courts don't really agree with you , by the way :p

USC Trojans defeat South Carolina's Gamecocks in trademark battle [Updated] - latimes.com

This is bound to stir up a boatload of hate, but I don't get this concept. I'm not trying to disrespect sideline cheer but it seems odd that any college would question whether an allstar world champion could handle sideline cheer.

I realize they are two different things, with different foci, but I would think anyone who can bring in a worlds ring can be successful in the college focus. I would also think college coaches would know that. And if that college competes at NCA or UCA, so much the better for having a seasoned competitor in their ranks.

Some schools still put a lot of emphasis in crowd involvement and being able to handle the pressure of a game and always having a smile on your face. But. I do think schools are moving away from that because IMO and allstar cheerleader can be taught how to hold a sign and learn a homecoming dance.

Actually, we do have one, and I'm on it! I wouldn't expect Fiereceboard people to know about it; the vast majority of the school doesn't even know we exist haha. However, our team this past year was considerably more organized/popular than it's been in years past, and our coach is even talking about potentially going to Daytona next spring depending on our tryouts/if we can get more funding!

As a little plug, check us out at USC Cheer | Facebook

The courts don't really agree with you , by the way :p

USC Trojans defeat South Carolina's Gamecocks in trademark battle [Updated] - latimes.com
I remember I saw them last year at a competition, but I wasn't sure if they had one this year.

And sorry everyone, I didn't know my comment would strick up such a big USC vs. USC argument :confused:

Some schools still put a lot of emphasis in crowd involvement and being able to handle the pressure of a game and always having a smile on your face. But. I do think schools are moving away from that because IMO and allstar cheerleader can be taught how to hold a sign and learn a homecoming dance.
I am not sure I would agree that any all-star cheerleader can be a good sideline cheerleader. Just because a candidate has level 5 skills doesn't necessarily mean that they have the skills to perform on the sidelines. There have been several level 5 all-star cheerleaders that have not made school cheer either because they can't tumble on a dead mat or they don't have, or feel comfortable, with the spiriting aspect. I believe that if a college's cheer squad also competes, that they are most likely going to be recruiting from all-star gyms. But for most colleges, they are looking for the all-around cheerleader, not solely focused on skill, I.e., good grades, personality, sideline performance, representing their school at extra-curricular functions, etc. My 2 CPs do both all-star and school cheer and in my opinion, the skill sets are very different from each other.

Been following the JP drama for years now. I must say that he has become the Lindsay Lohan of the all-star cheer world. And if this thread "gives him life," then that is the worst possible commentary on him.

One other thing, I believe his coed team had the lyrics "arch your back, bend your knees" in their twerking section. I am amazed that he thought that was a good idea.

Back