All-Star Gabi Butler New Team Debut "lionheart"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am not saying you did but I think her parents look into who they are dealing with before the gym starts. Some gyms start off as Shady All Stars unfortunately. Wasn't Trinity a little shady? I think they learned from that. Is Trinity even still around?

No.

I actually can't think of many that operate that way. Feel free to name a few.
My team when I was level 5 was/is one of those as well. When I was on the team there were a lot of true "open" age athletes who either are in university/college, work for a living and have children as well. Not the same team anymore but Open Black changed to World Class now it's Love but still the same. Half the team is teenagers and half are adults. At least 5 of them are over the age of 25 soooo ya.

If Lionheart is just supposed to be a fun team than go for them.

If Lionheart is supposed to be the beginning of a new gym with full scale try-outs next year, I think not. The name may get a few in, but I don't see anyone jumping ship for that.

I don't think it's a just for fun team. There are paying parents who kids were on that team. But were replaced... so I was told.

Fair enough - I may have misinterpreted her post (seems that other posters took it the same way that I have), but I do feel it is more unusual than not for a solid international team to be put together last minute. The Lionheart team has been advertised since summer, so even they were not put together in the 11th hour. I took her post to mean that it was common for International teams to practice in a similar manner as this Lionheart team and such teams are competitive at Worlds, and I find it hard to believe that the top teams operate in any way similar to Lionheart.
I have no issues with whichever route a team chooses to take - if a bunch of athletes want to get together from all over and practice every once in a while and go to competitions, that great for them.

Yeah. I think what I meant was that there ARE teams out there for whom competing IO is really just for fun, they practice once a week and they may be just now getting a routine together.

I do agree with you in that those teams aren't the ones looking for Worlds bids.

I do think that this team may have been different in the expectation than in reality. The expectation may have been a serious Worlds bid contender IO team, but with the number of practices they've had, the reality may be little different. The top teams in IO (the Calis, CAs, ECEs, Gymtimes of IO) are not the "just for fun" and "we've only had 3 practices" teams.

Any team looking to compete with those teams needs to be a little more intentional about practicing.

My team when I was level 5 was/is one of those as well. When I was on the team there were a lot of true "open" age athletes who either are in university/college, work for a living and have children as well. Not the same team anymore but Open Black changed to World Class now it's Love but still the same. Half the team is teenagers and half are adults. At least 5 of them are over the age of 25 soooo ya.
but are they still expected to show for regular practices, because I think that was the issue the original comment was addressing. I just don't see how a team can be competitive on a worlds stage when the attitude is "show up when it suits you". I understand that adults have other commitments, but should they be able to just bail on cheer whenever? I just don't see how you could operate a successful team that way.

but are they still expected to show for regular practices, because I think that was the issue the original comment was addressing. I just don't see how a team can be competitive on a worlds stage when the attitude is "show up when it suits you". I understand that adults have other commitments, but should they be able to just bail on cheer whenever? I just don't see how you could operate a successful team that way.
Oh no it's not like that at all. I mean stuff comes up occasionally and there are alternates if need be for even practices but people don't just show up when they want no :/

Isn't the tuition free? I'm guessing those unis were sponsored too.. So how much/what would be left to pay? I don't know too much about all-star cost in the US.

Back