All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Probably the exception to the rule, but know someone who owns a small, but successful piano, other instrument, and voice lesson studio. She is very gifted at teaching others. She started by giving private lessons to friends and their children. It grew by word of mouth. She never went to college or a special school.
Congratulations to her on her business. But where I'm from you most likely would not be able to start up this sort of business, or at least not be able to keep it running against competitors, without accreditation or training. I don't see how cheer is any different.

And I personally would require someone to have some training before I let my hypothetical child attend their program. The fact that someone can start a gym without any kind of experience is what gets me.

Last edited:
In cheer safety trainings, accreditations, etc. should be very important. She is blessed to have money and connections to hire qualified Directors, Coaches, etc.

im sorry but did the girl ever say she was not going to college......im sure she plans on taking online classes of some sort towards getting a college education.

As someone going to school for business, I really do think you need it. Sure you can figure some stuff out on your own but to really understand what is needed, classes are necessary. So much more goes into it than an intro accounting course, marketing, and psychology. Even just going to a community college for a business admin associates degree would be extremely beneficial before going starting a business. But that's just my opinion and I understand why someone's may differ.
Dh graduated college with a BA in Music with plans to pursue a career in music education. One thing led to another and he owned a sucessful retail store for years and now a successful internet company. Never took a business course in his life. I know he is not the norm, but sometimes if you have the right mentors, innate business acumen like he does coupled with a personality well suited for sales (and he is a great communicator to top it all off), it will work. Plus he has hired the right people to can fill in the gaps where he is not as savvy or who have a better eye for certain things (such as web design). Could he have done this all at 17? Absolutely not. But he started on this path at 22 in a part-time job during his only year of grad school, and because he had great bosses who realized his potential and were willing to act as mentors, a great foundation was laid. He still does business with his first boss and they are great friends.

@nicolee - just read your above post. The ironic thing is even with all of dh's musical training (and a year toward his MA in teaching) he was only able to teach our youngest up to a certain point before we turned to a trained piano teacher to continue with his lessons.

im sorry but did the girl ever say she was not going to college......im sure she plans on taking online classes of some sort towards getting a college education.
For me the discussion is less about whether she's going to college in general (although I'm personally a big college advocate), but more about whether you should require some training or experience in business or coaching before opening up a gym. And that experience could just involve trying out coaching, or doing an internship. Or it may involve a college degree.

Last edited:
As I see it whether she decides to go to college or not is her choice but it seems to me that if the business fails she has nothing really to fall back on- she will have a high school diploma but what else? if the business fails and if she starts applying for real world jobs, what is she going to say in an interview? Oh I can do a 2 to double! I can fly level 5 stunts solidly. But maybe she doesn't want a real world- I don't know.

If she really wants to make her career to be cheer related there still needs to be work done. Like get some experience day in day coaching, take some classes in teaching proper techniques. Teaching clinics is one thing but coaching day in day out is completely different. She has some amazing connections in the cheer world but without a solid foundation of coaching and teaching education, her business won't last on her name alone.

As I see it whether she decides to go to college or not is her choice but it seems to me that if the business fails she has nothing really to fall back on- she will have a high school diploma but what else? if the business fails and if she starts applying for real world jobs, what is she going to say in an interview? Oh I can do a 2 to double! I can fly level 5 stunts solidly. But maybe she doesn't want a real world- I don't know.

If she really wants to make her career to be cheer related there still needs to be work done. Like get some experience day in day coaching, take some classes in teaching proper techniques. Teaching clinics is one thing but coaching day in day out is completely different. She has some amazing connections in the cheer world but without a solid foundation of coaching and teaching education, her business won't last on her name alone.
Real world jobs are boring :p

Says the girl who works a real world job (granted, it's in a cheese place but still serving) in order to support her 'non real world' job. If I didn't have the personality for my RW job, I'd be starving on the street. Granted, that's because my parents are like 'You're an adult, take care of yourself.'

The post states, "I am working on plans to open a new facility sometime in the next several months that will become home for all our new teams in the 2016 season." That's a extremely broad statement which could mean several different variables. For all we know a gym in that area has approached her, or vice versa, and has asked to use her name (or she's wants to sell the rights to her name as an investment) and experience for advertising. Her plans may be to be a coach while going to school, along with some of her other friends that have expressed an interest in coaching in South Florida. Hypothetical, of course, but so is everyone's theory who has her solely investing, managing, coaching and purchasing everything for this new facility. I think we need more information before we deem her a burnt out failure who never went to college at the ripe 'ol age of 17.

Am I the only one that sees plenty of gyms that have several teams with terrible technique that are running successfully. Just because she may not go get a degree in business doesn't mean she is going to fail. And everyone's definition of success is different. Some feel the need to be world champion gyms. Some like to have a large class program, some have a small turnover year in year out, some a small allstar program but more allstar prep based. Yes it's a business and you want to be profitable however everyone will define their own success differently. I bet she will do extremely well

Mike Rowe will talk for days about the value of college education (or lack thereof). My husband runs a very successful business and didn't need a degree. On the flip side, my parents paid for a degree that I don't use at all.

If you're starting a business, you can always hire someone with the experience to guide you in areas where you're lacking. Shark Tank isn't just about the money. There are whole businesses whose business is consulting with other on how to run a business. And the fact is, college will always be there. Where is the most student debt owed? University of Phoenix and other virtual for profit colleges.

Gabi has grown up in the business of cheer. In essence, her clinics are her apprenticeship. With the right team, there's no reason she can't bring her dream to fruition.

In my area and level of work, a college degree is absolutely more valuable than experience. Guess it just depends on the path you want to take.

Even in the midwest (Missouri) the highschools in the area require a bachelors to coach the cheerleading teams. I know a coach who is VERY talented and experienced coaching all star and he tried for years to coach a highschool cheer team and couldn't find one, they all wanted a 4 year degree first.

I couldn't imagine what it must be like in that area of Florida, or California for that matter. Big cities are even more competatuve I would imagine.
I hope she at least invests in community college while she's coaching, an associates degree isn't expensive (in my state it's offered free through the A+ program) and it could really come in handy down the road.

Tbh, I don't care if my cp's coaches have gone to college. Cp is with a coach who is young and I don't "think" he has a degree (I never asked) ...but he is a World Champ, cheered at some excellent gyms under amazing coaches , and now has an impressive coaching bio himself. He treats my kid great and can motivate her like no other. That is everything that I dream of from a coach.

I do agree that formal education will help if you are a gym owner. Learning subjects like sports pysch, kiniesiology, and business will better their own environment and protect themselves from the cheats out there. It doesn't need to be a full degree, but educating yourself in the right subjects, helps protect your business, as well as your clients.

Someone like SJT is doing it right imo. It is safer and smarter to go into the field with eyes wide open; but I still think that these cheerlebrity gyms might have a chance if they surround themselves with the right people both behind the scenes and on the mats.

Tbh, I don't care if my cp's coaches have gone to college. Cp is with a coach who is young and I don't "think" he has a degree (I never asked) ...but he is a World Champ, cheered at some excellent gyms under amazing coaches , and now has an impressive coaching bio himself. He treats my kid great and can motivate her like no other. That is everything that I dream of from a coach.

I do agree that formal education will help if you are a gym owner. Learning subjects like sports pysch, kiniesiology, and business will better their own environment and protect themselves from the cheats out there. It doesn't need to be a full degree, but educating yourself in the right subjects, helps protect your business, as well as your clients.

Someone like SJT is doing it right imo. It is safer and smarter to go into the field with eyes wide open; but I still think that these cheerlebrity gyms might have a chance if they surround themselves with the right people both behind the scenes and on the mats.
SJT?

Back