All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My other thought is, im curious to see how much older talent she will be able to pull in. I would think you have these older athletes who have been with certain programs for years such as just for an example (top gun, CA, gymtyme, Stingrays) what is going to make them pick up and leave their long time, successful programs for something very new and taught by someone very young. i would think it would take a lot of convincing. unless she pulls in people who are making hours long drives who might be closer to this new gym location, or people looking to get back into cheering and just looking for a fun team.

it'll be very interesting (to me at least) to see where some of these athletes come from.
Agreed. And if the older athletes who are at established programs do end up on this team, are they being paid to be there?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Scianna or Michael Eddie again.
I believe Robert did express his interest towards being a part of the team on Twitter... that's about it though. Unless your team is CA Wildcats, I don't see open-aged athletes wanting to uproot their lives and move across states just for cheer. It's different when you're going through college or have a full-time job to uphold. Even with CA Wildcats, most of the team is made up of Navarro cheerleaders and CA staff/aged-out CA athletes. Most IO/IOC teams around the country field athletes from the local vicinity. Taking into consideration the location Ms. Butler is thinking of starting her programme, I'd say the top open-aged athletes in the area have already tried out for a team like OO5.

My initial thought is this open team will probably include some combination of aged out Smoed athletes and some GT Blink kids, and some of the group she travels teaching camps with. Probably at a discounted rate for these athletes who want to continue cheering at a high level but can't swing the financial commitment. Then they will use the draw of the names and hopeful success of this season to open the doors to all levels next year.

Again, this is all a guess, but kind of how I see this going down.

How would the gym make money if they offer a discounted rate? There isn't a huge profit to begin with, especially with only 1 team. Someone would have to bankroll it for a few years.

But, here's the good news, if she isn't able to get an IOC5 together in October, she may have the answer to one of the most important business questions she/her family has....."Can her name generate the interest?" Honestly, the million dollar question is how much is her name going to bring to the table? Her business plan seems kind of "Trinity-esque" to me, however, I applaud her for not making a huge investment right from the starting gate.

Now y'all are starting to go down the right path :)
And don't forget, Worlds-winning teams can come together in a heartbeat and still win.

I believe Robert did express his interest towards being a part of the team on Twitter... that's about it though. Unless your team is CA Wildcats, I don't see open-aged athletes wanting to uproot their lives and move across states just for cheer. It's different when you're going through college or have a full-time job to uphold. Even with CA Wildcats, most of the team is made up of Navarro cheerleaders and CA staff/aged-out CA athletes. Most IO/IOC teams around the country field athletes from the local vicinity. Taking into consideration the location Ms. Butler is thinking of starting her programme, I'd say the top open-aged athletes in the area have already tried out for a team like OO5.

It's possibly she's not trying to put together a medaling team though. If she can get enough local talent to put together a team that does well in the area and maybe (*maybe*) makes it out of US Trials at worlds (top 10 US teams remember), it could be enough to serve as advertising for next season.

I would hope that she's not renting her own gym out for one team - and an open team at that, but we'll see.

How would the gym make money if they offer a discounted rate? There isn't a huge profit to begin with, especially with only 1 team. Someone would have to bankroll it for a few years.
It was a total guess on the discounted rate in this situation, but it's pretty well known that international teams don't charge full tuition prices. Plus most businesses don't start making money right away. Like @Ashley said, they might just be relying on this year as an advertising type deal to get more bodies in the gym next year and make their money back.

I suppose 'success' is defined in various terms. If they're not hardcore red by the end of the first year, that's technically a success!

I mean hey, if she is 17 and has the money to start her own gym, I've got some student loans that I would LOVE to see disappear. If we're in the business of throwing cash around. Just saying.
Here is my issue with this and with AR's situation: what if it doesn't succeed? When you stop doing clinics, youtube shows and whatever else and you have the day to day running of a business to do with money going out here, there and ever what are you going to do? If their businesses fail, these girls have really nothing left to fall back on. There is always going to be a fresh crop of cheerlebrities (ugh) coming up the ranks and their novelty and fame are going to eventually fade. Neither of these girls have a solid university or college education behind them so what is going to happen to them if they fail or if their parents can't afford to keep putting money into the business? And just because someone is successful in one type of business doesn't mean they will be successful in every type of business. Usually those people are successful because they find their niche and stay with it. Just because you have a lot of cheer experience doesn't mean you can run a gym.
Who are the upcoming young cheerlebrities?

How would the gym make money if they offer a discounted rate?
sponsorships, advertising using "cheerlebrities", reality television series.
It will be an interesting situation if the athletes were to be paid. Scholarships are one thing (and something I fully support), but anything more than tuition/comp fees being covered by the gym should give USASF something to take note of. I think the line of athletes actually profiting from being on a team has been close to being crossed with other gyms, and it is bound to be crossed at some point in the future.

Who are the upcoming young cheerlebrities?
She was just saying there will always be younger, newer, more "fierce" talent popping up. The moments of fame they're seeing now most likely won't last forever. She doesn't actually have a list of her favorite instagram accounts ran by Suzies moms lol

I think those featured on the youtube shows have opportunities to make money from them. Such as Clinics, special bows, advertisement agreements, etc.

I'm proud of her for taking a big step, but I'm not sure that this is the right one to take. She'd be better off going down Jenee's path and sticking to coaching.

The stress of running a business can take a lot of people by surprise, and being so young, she is likely to crack under the pressure. Hopefully she won't, but coaching seems like a more logical step.

Back