All-Star Getting Ready For Level 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If your tucks are solid, then I would start on layout drills and working towards that. If your layout doesn't have good form, you'll have a terrible time twisting it, and at the least you'll lose marks for bad execution. At the worst, you'll land poorly and wreck something important (knee, ankles). Drill, drill drill. And condition again and again. You will need strength to do these skills well.

Flying, you seem to have a decent base set of skills provided they're clean and solid. From here, you need to just keep working with your group. Make sure you're hitting your twisting skills truly tight and clean. For example, if you can make a kick single, but it's just ok, turning it into a double is much harder as you haven't yet learned to pull tight and hard in a proper position.

Hitting easier skills tighter/cleaner/better will make these harder skills easier to learn and eventually do. It's no longer about who can double, but who can double perfectly. Everyone and their dog doubles down in level 5. Ensuring your form is perfect will make coaches notice as you're more likely to learn new skills, but they also won't have to fix poor technique to have better execution in the routine.

If your tucks are solid, then I would start on layout drills and working towards that. If your layout doesn't have good form, you'll have a terrible time twisting it, and at the least you'll lose marks for bad execution. At the worst, you'll land poorly and wreck something important (knee, ankles). Drill, drill drill. And condition again and again. You will need strength to do these skills well.

Flying, you seem to have a decent base set of skills provided they're clean and solid. From here, you need to just keep working with your group. Make sure you're hitting your twisting skills truly tight and clean. For example, if you can make a kick single, but it's just ok, turning it into a double is much harder as you haven't yet learned to pull tight and hard in a proper position.

Hitting easier skills tighter/cleaner/better will make these harder skills easier to learn and eventually do. It's no longer about who can double, but who can double perfectly. Everyone and their dog doubles down in level 5. Ensuring your form is perfect will make coaches notice as you're more likely to learn new skills, but they also won't have to fix poor technique to have better execution in the routine.
So how can I show the coaches I have a clean full? Even though I don't have a perfect double can I still show them I have a well executed full and I can progress well?

:confused:I am not a coach and never want to accuse anyone of setting young people up for failure, but this level 5 team idea is not practical and it sounds like a team put in place, in hopes of attracting and/or keeping customers... If your gym does not have a level 4 team, why not rename this level 5 team, yes, level 4 and so it can be more competitive and work towards R5 team the following year and build towards a level 5 team in 3 years, what is the rush I ask? Unless, all the athletes at your gym are aging out and they need to experience Worlds...Okay, I see it now! Haha

Have you considered aiming for and perfecting your skills to become Open 4?

Based on what you've described, the idea of this team competing against anyone in Open 5 or 6 is anxiety-inducing.
I don't think that's what this gym is ever hoping to do. They have a level 3,4.2, then level 5 team. I haven't tried out yet so I can't exactly suggest a level 4 team.

:confused:I am not a coach and never want to accuse anyone of setting young people up for failure, but this level 5 team idea is not practical and it sounds like a team put in place, in hopes of attracting and/or keeping customers... If your gym does not have a level 4 team, why not rename this level 5 team, yes, level 4 and so it can be more competitive and work towards R5 team the following year and build towards a level 5 team in 3 years, what is the rush I ask? Unless, all the athletes at your gym are aging out and they need to experience Worlds...Okay, I see it now! Haha
They techniqully have the best tumbling in our area.

Last edited:
Back