All-Star Gi Pros

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm surprised they got a 57 just by marking everything and being energetic.

But that's being extremely bitter and petty just because you didn't get what you thought you deserved.

If you look at the varsity scoring rubric the bottom scores aren’t 0. So even receiving bottom scores allots you a fair amount of “gimme” points.

And because I think it's relevant to this discussion here is the two teams from NCA:
Team Guns

GI Pro

Honestly? If those were the same 2 routines put on the floor at Battle the judges got it right. Sorry.

I definitely agree that Varsity's scoring system is messed up a bit. BUT. If you're consistently scoring within the same amount (within give or take 1-2 points) i don't see the problem here. CJA has a more difficult routine. I keep seeing tweets like "all of the coaches at this comp agreed we were being robbed" but instead of adding more difficulty or cleaning up some skills, they decided to give up (in my opinion).
You can't expect to win unless you're throwing (and hitting) the most difficult routine possible. If only a handful of your kids are doubling and the other team has 10+ doubles, maybe thats your problem.
This whole situation is tacky and at first the rumor was that they scored a 67 day 1, which I was like dang I'd protest too but a 95?

What I’m reading on Twitter is that the team feels underscored when compared to their Ultimate Battle score.

Has anyone seen scores from the Ultimate Battle? I’d like to see if Team Gunz’s score went down as well. I know Varsity scoring is screwed up (seeing as they still scored a 57 without doing much of the routine), but the placements after day 1 of BATB felt right even if the scores don’t match up with UB.

What I’m reading on Twitter is that the team feels underscored when compared to their Ultimate Battle score.

Has anyone seen scores from the Ultimate Battle? I’d like to see if Team Gunz’s score went down as well. I know Varsity scoring is screwed up (seeing as they still scored a 57 without doing much of the routine), but the placements after day 1 of BATB felt right even if the scores don’t match up with UB.
I haven't seen a confirmed answer, but someone on the team said they had a 96.1 at Ultimate Battle, so less than .25 more.

So I was at BATB and my kids team hit zero in Arena A both days. I don’t know how or if they rotate judges, but there was something called an “athlete error” that was mentioned to them to fix after day 1. They fixed it, and had the best performance of their entire season yesterday. We just knew their score would break 96 for the first time this season, a huge accomplishment with upgrades competed for the first time this season.

Instead, after a huge improvement in Day 1 in terms of performance, cleanliness of routine, energy, timing.....their score increased by .13. However, another team hit zero both days, and their day 1 to day 2 increased over a point....taking them from 3rd to 1st (we got 2nd). After rewatching the routines everyone is like “both teams performed the same routine as day 1, both teams stepped up performance and technique day 2....so what justified over a point for one and not even a quarter of a point for another?” As a side note, this was one of our lowest hit zero scores of the season, even with upgrades....

So while I agree with the “life isn’t fair, stop throwing fits” statements, and while I agree with the “find the proper channels to influence change”....lets be real. People who CAN influence change have been asking for transparency and consistency for a long time...I’m talking TG, CA, CEA, WC, Rays....this isn’t new. My kid has been in allstar for 8 years, from level 2 to level 5....and while I can’t speak to the validity of this particular complaint with GI Pros, I can say that after a while, after begging for change, after having faith in Varsity and USASF to do the “right” thing....it just gets old. Maybe it wasn’t the mature or adult move to make, but maybe they were just tired of working their butts off to be judged inconsistently compared to other teams in the same division. I know our kids are.

ETA: I did give my kid the “this is a life lesson, sometimes you give it your all and it’s still not good enough” speech...to which she replied “Well, that just sucks.” Amen kid, amen.

*These statements are not the opinions of any particular gym, just a broke, exhausted, and “not as stupid as you think” cheer mom.*

Last edited:
CheerMAD.com GI PROs marked the routine today because: Friday night its raw score at Battle at the Beach's "Ultimate Battle" (which had exclusively Worlds teams competing) GI Pros raw score, no deductions performance was .1 behind Central Jersey All Stars (the only other Small Coed Level 5 team competing).
-Day 1 at Battle of the Beach, GI Pros raw score, no deductions, performance scored 1.1 points behind Central Jersey Allstars.
-The raw score one day should be the raw score all days.
- Marking its routine was done in frustration over the inaccuracies in the two scores, same routine, no deductions.

This was a response on CheerMad's face book page about why they did it

CheerMAD.com GI PROs marked the routine today because: Friday night its raw score at Battle at the Beach's "Ultimate Battle" (which had exclusively Worlds teams competing) GI Pros raw score, no deductions performance was .1 behind Central Jersey All Stars (the only other Small Coed Level 5 team competing).
-Day 1 at Battle of the Beach, GI Pros raw score, no deductions, performance scored 1.1 points behind Central Jersey Allstars.
-The raw score one day should be the raw score all days.
- Marking its routine was done in frustration over the inaccuracies in the two scores, same routine, no deductions.

This was a response on CheerMad's face book page about why they did it
I know these aren't your words but I really don't see how people expect raw scores to be the same both days.

i think its childish, there are plenty of other subjective scored sports out there, and i dont see a lot of people throwing hissy fits and going out and marking routines, yes it sucks, yes it might be unfair. But the scoring system has been like this for awhile, if you want to promote change gather some coaching staff and owners together and go make change...

I absolutely agree with you on this. You may put the same routine on the floor on day two, but your technique could be completely different day to day.
We all know watching cheer a hit can mean so many things. Some hits are thank god those things stayed up and a hit can also mean omg that was flawless, with so many degrees in between that. And that is exactly what happened this weekend.. Team Gunz Battle and Day 1 performance are on youtube, as is GI pros. You could definitely say Gunz hit much harder and cleaner on their Day 1 performance than Friday nights Battle. At Battle they had what cheerupdates would say is a definite pyramid bobble and a tumbling omission. What happened Sunday is definitely the equivalent of quitting mid game because you don't like the calls officials make. Unfortunately that is now a thing in youth sports more and more :( I know we have all been in the spot to feel absolutely robbed and we all know it sucks. Last year our score went down 6 points from semi finals to finals at worlds, with a small difference in performance. It sucked, it meant no globe instead of possible globe. But as in all things in life, it is what it is, move on and move forward, right?

We all know watching cheer a hit can mean so many things. Some hits are thank god those things stayed up and a hit can also mean omg that was flawless, with so many degrees in between that. And that is exactly what happened this weekend.. Team Gunz Battle and Day 1 performance are on youtube, as is GI pros. You could definitely say Gunz hit much harder and cleaner on their Day 1 performance than Friday nights Battle. At Battle they had what cheerupdates would say is a definite pyramid bobble and a tumbling omission. What happened Sunday is definitely the equivalent of quitting mid game because you don't like the calls officials make. Unfortunately that is now a thing in youth sports more and more :( I know we have all been in the spot to feel absolutely robbed and we all know it sucks. Last year our score went down 6 points from semi finals to finals at worlds, with a small difference in performance. It sucked, it meant no globe instead of possible globe. But as in all things in life, it is what it is, move on and move forward, right?
And I think this brings up another key point. Raw score isn't even just about your performance, if your competitor does better than they did the day before, their score will go up and that could also cause yours to go down.

And I think this brings up another key point. Raw score isn't even just about your performance, if your competitor does better than they did the day before, their score will go up and that could also cause yours to go down.

But why should two teams get different scores when they perform the exact same routine? Take NCA with divisions of 30 teams - imagine one of those two teams was the 3rd team to perform on day 1 and the other was the last team to perform in that division. Based on that alone the second team will score better - even though their place in the starting order was drawn at random. Same for day 2: the second team will perform later and thus get a higher score even though they perform the exact same routine as team number 1.
While I get that comparative scoring has its advantages, it also has its downfalls - and this is one of them. Add in that you can't contest any scores as long as they are in the correct range, and you could very well have a team do incredibly well throughout the season and just by "bad luck" never win a competition, or you could have the reverse happening.

And no, I'm not saying that this happened here (I actually didn't even watch the videos of the performances yet), but I can definitely see how people can get incredibly frustrated with the scoring.

ETA: those that said that they didn't achieve anything by doing it... well, people are definitely talking about their performance and the current scoring system. I wouldn't call that nothing. It may lead to nothing happening, but it could also be the tiny movement that gets an avalanche rolling.

Back