All-Star Glad It's Not My Daughter!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I find that for most of our events, they tend to follow the flyers to jumps and tumbling. There seem to be very few photographers at the events we go to who make an effort to get pics of everyone. Mine doesn't fly, and doesn't have a tumbling pass, but is front and center several times through dance and jumps. I rarely get any pics of her, but the flyers that they noticed before in elites are all over the dance pics.

I will follow the flyers, but will get tight face and action shots of the bases as well. I find that when I take pictures of non flyers they sell because most people do not follow them. When there are 3 photographers shooting each has a section of the floor they will stay in shooting what is in the area.

Over Superbowl weekend one year we were at a comp and every.single.picture from one of the photographers was a "crotch shot" (sorry, no nice way to put it). We decided that he must have been trying to prove something to his buddies about why being at a cheer comp was better than at a Superbowl party. It was absolutely over the top!
We had the same issue (not the same time period!) More like the last week of january

This is so true. As a Photographer that shoots Cheerleading I will take 250 - 350 pictures in 2.5 minutes. If needed my camera will take 12 frames a second. I have about 1 to 2 minute to change cards and upload to the server and get ready for the next team. 3 photographers shooting you are looking at about 500 plus pictures, no way to review them all prior to uploading. It is never a photographers intent to get a compromising shot, but they are out there. Any time they are identified they are pulled and deleted.

I will also agree that one may view as a beautiful toe touch or strech can be viewd as comprmising picture to others. the picture of a group fitighting to save stunt and the emoution, faces, intensity and agoney can show dertimination and strength that makes the sport beautifu to watch. Again ll in the eye of the beholder.

Bottom line if you see something that is not right, get the number, take it to the counter and it will be removed and deleted.

I agree with the above and what "catlady" said. When shooting AS Cheer things are moving so fast that you often don't even realize what you may have captured on the media card so I would like to think that many of the shots that have been mentioned above were not on purpose.
I also agree that if you see a photo that is not appropriate that you can ask to have it removed and I have no doubt it will be. We had this situation happen last year and asked to have the picture removed and it was without any hesitation.
I take hundreds and sometimes thousands of pictures per competition and I edit every single one for content, if it looks questionable it will not be posted anywhere. I also don't post pics of stunts going down, tumbling busts.. etc. If something goes wrong during a routine I don't think anyone needs to re-live it.

I want to apologize to the photogs here. I didn't intend for this to be for complaining about photogs. I for one really appreciate the pics I do get. I can't even take an action shot of my CP walking, much less dancing, cheering, tumbling, ect. I have some of what I think are truly incredible pics of my CP. I even have one that anyone that sees it is impressed (by the shot). It's of her and another girl in mid-air during tucks. The cool part is, you have to really look to see the other girl (that's how well in sync they were). I will always treasure that, and all pics I get. So thank you all!!

I cant say that I wouldnt do the same.... I know... Im horrible.
After a whole day at a cheer comp - and yes, I know it is their job - they must go out of their minds. While I don't think they would intentionally take pictures that are cruel, I could see them (or the people who are actually monitoring them being posted online for the parents to view) being a little amused when they are finally up and there are some more "interesting" shots. But at the end of the day, their company being used again in the future by the competition and/or venue must in part depend on the sales they generate, so I will continue to believe they try to capture as much as possible that is sellable in those 2:30. If complaints are issued to the right people (management) over the quality of the images or an excessive amount of crotch shots, the heads of the company will need to look into it.

My oldest daughter Ashley made this problem famous a few years ago and almost shut down the entire Mr. Photo website (or whatever the name of the company doing the pictures was). It was quite the topic here on the boards for the next few weeks.
Going to take a wild guess and say she was the girl with the uni malfunction on international?

Going to take a wild guess and say she was the girl with the uni malfunction on international?

I have had to delete Many pictures form TG due to Uniform Malfunctions. Some front and center and very obvius to others not so.

I have had kids email me asking to remove a picture for many reasons not just the compromising shot

I want to apologize to the photogs here. I didn't intend for this to be for complaining about photogs. I for one really appreciate the pics I do get. I can't even take an action shot of my CP walking, much less dancing, cheering, tumbling, ect. I have some of what I think are truly incredible pics of my CP. I even have one that anyone that sees it is impressed (by the shot). It's of her and another girl in mid-air during tucks. The cool part is, you have to really look to see the other girl (that's how well in sync they were). I will always treasure that, and all pics I get. So thank you all!!

I completely understand your concerns and the concerns of others. It is tough because when you shoot events like AS Cheer things are happening so fast and you are moving with the action so you will actually capture and freeze a nano second of action in that frame. When that happens you may catch an athlete in a not so flattering position or even a wardrobe malfunction which is unfortunate. When I review my pictures those shots are always deleted. If I ever happen to miss one and someone requests it to be taken down I will absolutely comply, thankfully to date this has not happened.
We actually had a photo incident 2 years ago at large a competition. A picture was taken of my daughter at a part of the routine when she was walking towards the front of the mat, she had her arm extended straight out, her hand inverted palm up and 2 fingers pointed up, the exact moment the picture was taken combined with the angle it literally looked like she was giving everyone in the crowd and the judges the bird! In addition to the hand motion she was making a face that made you believe that is exactly what she was doing. While it was funny at first it was certainly not something we wanted circulated around. We found out about the picture when one of the kids on her team actually took a picture of the screen with her phone and showed it to us. When we walked over to the booth to check it out there were about 10-15 kids and parents from our team looking at that photo. Some of them had already taken a picture of the screen with their phone so we asked to have the picture taken down. Thankfully it was not a wardrobe malfunction but it was a bit embarrassing (and a little funny) none the less.

Back