All-Star Glcc Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sure, parents are paying for their child to be a part of a program, but so are the parents of the other 19 or 35 kids on the team who will be left behind when one kid decides they want to leave. Your decision doesn't only effect you in this sport. You're potentially screwing over and costing a bunch of other families money because you can't honor your commitment.

that's the nature of the business, it sucks but teams have to go through adversities every year with finding fill ins and alternates. teams either band together and get the job done, or crumble... that's the risk at any team sport. i know i would personally hate cheering with someone who openly did not want to be a part of my team. i'm not sure what kind of businesses are being run, but in every gym that i have been a part of my family was still obligated to pay any fees that i was committed to.

I will say that this event has had this "rumor" about it for several years. Not saying it is necessarily true every year, but I HAVE heard that the EP DOES get involved in the judging and scoresheets.

As I said above, it's a very serious charge to suggest that an event producer rigged a competition in order to ensure that a particular team won. Especially when there's money (in the form of a paid bid) involved. In other sports, such behavior - if proven - can lead to lawsuits or even criminal charges.

I totally agree with this, if its not detrimental to the health and safety of your child, I think you should stick it out the season. But I'm still a little confused ab0ut the rule - are you all saying that if you commit to gym A and decide to leave and go to gym B and your team gets a worlds bid, gym A can decide not to release you even though they know you are now with gym B and it isn't a factor until the worlds issue comes up?

I would like to think that before a athlete quits Gym A to go to Gym B, that they get a waiver before commiting to Gym B. But yes, what you described is how it works. What I think is stupid is that it only applies to Worlds. I think it should apply to any USASF sanctioned event. Why should a team get a Worlds bid with unreleased athletes, then have to replace them for Worlds....

@Rudags financial obligations is one thing, but i have never been a part of a program where the parents weren't obligated to sign a contract stating that they will fulfill their financial responsibilities throughout the season. while i think that parents have a lot of responsibility in this, i also believe that it is the responsibility of the program and the coaches to RETAIN athletes and continue to market themselves. you cant control the competition, people will always look for other options-- all you can do is improve your programs abilities to recruit and retain. if families are unhappy, then let them go and do your job as a coach to repair your team. no, it's not ideal but it's what teams have done for decades and made out okay. there is some crazy stuff that happens at a lot of gyms midseason and no one should be forced to stick around. clearly if someone wants to go they are unhappy with the program, so it makes no sense that the owner holds their fate.

I would like to think that before a athlete quits Gym A to go to Gym B, that they get a waiver before commiting to Gym B. But yes, what you described is how it works. What I think is stupid is that it only applies to Worlds. I think it should apply to any USASF sanctioned event. Why should a team get a Worlds bid with unreleased athletes, then have to replace them for Worlds....

I don't really hate the rule, but I think it's a bad business decision to essentially hold unhappy athletes hostage for an entire season. If somebody really doesn't want to cheer for you and wants to go down the street, then let them - provided they've met their financial obligations to your program. The only thing I'd personally add is a waiting period (maybe 60-90 days) that says that once you leave a program, you have to wait that amount of time before you can compete elsewhere. If you had that in place, I'd be fine with that as an across-the-board type of thing. Ultimately, an unhappy kid isn't going to help your program, and if they're a problem they'll be a problem somewhere else.

But you know who should be teaching kids about responsibility and obligation? Parents. We have always told our kids that if they start a season with a team (whether it be baseball, soccer, cheer, etc.) that they have to finish the season with that team. And not just show up, but participate to the best of their ability and do what's asked of them.

that's the nature of the business, it sucks but teams have to go through adversities every year with finding fill ins and alternates. teams either band together and get the job done, or crumble... that's the risk at any team sport. i know i would personally hate cheering with someone who openly did not want to be a part of my team. i'm not sure what kind of businesses are being run, but in every gym that i have been a part of my family was still obligated to pay any fees that i was committed to.

Kids need to learn commitment. I absolutely think you should be able to leave a gym if you believe your child is in danger, physically or mentally. But leaving because you want a better chance to go to Worlds? You're not being forced to sign your life away the day you make the team. You have up until your first competition to jump ship. That's all summer and the beginning of fall to decide whether or not the product that the gym is giving you is what you want or need. That's plenty of time. Paying for a service shouldn't mean you're entitled to pick up and leave all the other people that are paying for the same service... they have no choice in whether or not you want to abandon them. I would hope that people are using this sport to teach their children life lessons, like commitment and seeing things through to the end. It really shouldn't be the norm that people have to deal with fill-ins and alternates because people decided too late that they weren't getting what they wanted.

Kids need to learn commitment. I absolutely think you should be able to leave a gym if you believe your child is in danger, physically or mentally. But leaving because you want a better chance to go to Worlds? You're not being forced to sign your life away the day you make the team. You have up until your first competition to jump ship. That's all summer and the beginning of fall to decide whether or not the product that the gym is giving you is what you want or need. That's plenty of time. Paying for a service shouldn't mean you're entitled to pick up and leave all the other people that are paying for the same service... they have no choice in whether or not you want to abandon them. I would hope that people are using this sport to teach their children life lessons, like commitment and seeing things through to the end. It really shouldn't be the norm that people have to deal with fill-ins and alternates because people decided too late that they weren't getting what they wanted.

i agree that athletes do need to learn commitment, and it is unfortunate when some decide to quit. in a perfect world, everyone would take accountability and be responsible, but that's not the way things happen. but i dont agree that these decisions should be up to a gym owner. if my child is a junior or senior and would like the opportunity to go to worlds, but your program cannot provide that for me... as a parent, i would like to consider the other options that my child has in order to maximize her experiences in the sport. like i said, parents and athletes are only one part of the relationship-- coaches are responsible for retaining athletes and helping the team to deliver results.

The rule is a good rule, but there are loop holes in it and the USASF needs to step in and have an appeal process for athletes that are in a situation where the owner refuses to release them for reasons that are just silly. I do not know the entire story of this, but I will NEVER understand how an owner can be so selfish to not allow them to compete at worlds on a team where they helped earn them a bid. Sorry but the loopholes are too big in this rule the way it is now. Keep it but make sure that situations like what is going on right now can't happen. Something seems fishy about the situation on the gym owner side of things and that doesn't make it fair for those athletes.

The way it is being handled right now just makes the gym owner look bad and will possibly cause the gym to lose some business next season. This not only will cause problems for the gym, but can you imagine the hate between athletes at the gym to those athletes that wanted to leave? If the gym owner would have just released them then I am willing to bet most of the athletes would just ignore it and the hate would be minimal. He is just making this worse on the athletes involved and making himself look bad.

People can say that they think athletes need to learn committment all they want, but if you were put in a situation where you did not agree with the way things were being done at a gym and that gym refused to release you I am again willing to bet most people would be very upset and think it is unfair.

I agree that you dont want to keep an uphappy kid in your program. What I am saying is - That kids has 7 months with the program (assuming they started at tryouts and Comp Season starts in November-ish) How is that not enough time? And your arguement is all fine and dandy about why keep an uphappy kid - But I bet you there are more "I want to go to Gym B because they are better" or "Gym B beat us all season" or something along those lines then there are "I am unhappy"

I dont know a single thing about this whole Hollywood vs. ICE thing other then the fact that Hollywood is not releasing the athletes that want to cheer at ICE. From what I understand, this "gym switch" took place about a month ago. If these kids started in May (tryouts) and decided they were unhappy in Febuary - that was 9 months. What did they realzie with two months left of the season that they didnt earlier? Why not just finish out the two months til Worlds?

Also - If there was a 60-90 probabtion period where an athlete couldnt compete with a team, like some are suggesting - This still wouldnt allow the people who want to hop ship in Febuary a shot at Worlds on another team.

Again, I think the rule is great - And I think there is a responsability of the athlete to go about it the right way.

Example A: Kid wants to go from gym A, to gym B in December. He calls a meeting with Gym A to discuss how unhappy he is, and wants to talk about going to Gym B. Kid expresses why he is unhappy, shows that he has complained about issues before. He thinks he will be happier at Gym B and explains why. He is mature an professional - and works out a deal that he will finish out the rest fo December with Gym A so it allows time for a replacement and will make it easy on the coach so they dont have to replace him for the competition in two weeks.

Example B: Kids wants to go from Gym A to Gym B. Kid stops going to Gym A without notice. Kid competes at Gym B. Kid comes back two months later for a release form.

Example C: Kid quits Gym A because "heart isnt in cheering anymore" Kid shows up with Gym B at a competition. Kid wants released.

I think if all situations were handled like Example A, a release should happen. I think Example B and C shouldnt have a release, but you know that is how 99.9% of the issues this season have been like.

People can say that they think athletes need to learn committment all they want, but if you were put in a situation where you did not agree with the way things were being done at a gym and that gym refused to release you I am again willing to bet most people would be very upset and think it is unfair.

You have all summer and beginning of "comp season" to find out how things are done. Do you research.

I really doubt kids are leaving gyms because of how things are done. Kids at smaller gyms who do "ok" want to be at bigger gyms who do "great"

Do you really think kids dont just walk in and demand a release? Talk trash and Bash the program? If a kid goes in with a legitamate concern and discusses being unhappy in a professional manner as stated in my post above, I agree - its unfair - but not be nieve. Thats not how things happen.

@Rudags financial obligations is one thing, but i have never been a part of a program where the parents weren't obligated to sign a contract stating that they will fulfill their financial responsibilities throughout the season. while i think that parents have a lot of responsibility in this, i also believe that it is the responsibility of the program and the coaches to RETAIN athletes and continue to market themselves. you cant control the competition, people will always look for other options-- all you can do is improve your programs abilities to recruit and retain. if families are unhappy, then let them go and do your job as a coach to repair your team. no, it's not ideal but it's what teams have done for decades and made out okay. there is some crazy stuff that happens at a lot of gyms midseason and no one should be forced to stick around. clearly if someone wants to go they are unhappy with the program, so it makes no sense that the owner holds their fate.
COMPLETELY Agree this this! I was in a very, similar situation last year and something crazy/unexpected happened mid-season at a gym that i had gone to for years (and loved) and I had to leave mid-season. And I know for a fact that If I would have had to get a release form from the coach of the gym I had to leave she would have been very bitter and not given it to me. I just do not think this rule is fair. Does any other sport make you get permission from your old coach to play for another team? No! And Yes sure, I know people are going to say "it teaches kids about commitment" but, if they are in a bad situation (and yes things can happen at a gym mid-season AFTER summer is over), why would you them through that misery?

Back