All-Star Got A Phone Call From Disney Regarding Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe US teams should not be allowed to compete under the IO5 division. It just seems to be a category that US gyms exploit in order to expand the age range of the competitors. I never quite understood why it's even permitted.
The nerve of those gyms to enter a division that fits the range of athletes they have. How rude of them not to voluntarily cut a bunch of athletes from their program so that a team from another country can get 15th instead of 18th.

The nerve of those gyms to enter a division that fits the range of athletes they have. How rude of them not to voluntarily cut a bunch of athletes from their program so that a team from another country can get 15th instead of 18th.
Why do we call it International Coed in the US? What makes it International?

Why do we call it International Coed in the US? What makes it International?

Because it's one of the divisions that non-us teams compete in? It was specifically created to better match the age grids of international teams. They can enter the senior club divisions but most don't fit the age range.

With the exception of maybe IOC5, there are more non-us teams than US teams in the international divisions, so it truly is international.

At what point or better yet how long until foreign teams recruit us nationals of their country's descent to compete for them?

Irish Americans competing for team Ireland. German Americans competing for team germany........

It happens in other global sports, basketball hockey, golf, tennis, soccer .........

Part of the problem is that there are too many people trying to satisfy too many competing priorities. When you solve problems you have to decide what priorities to fill first and make that happen in order, then you solution makes sense.

We all want:
- This to be an elite competition for a sport that people outside of cheer will respect
- Everyone to watch every team in every division whenever we want with no restriction (after all, I flew all the way down here!)
- Fit 8500 athletes and around 15,ooo spectators into around 5,000 seats between 2 venues. (Clearly not all at once but we can't even do 25% at one time)
- Everyone gets a chance to compete in the Milkhouse
- Awards has to be in the Milkhouse or we are robbed of some special experience
- I must be able to watch my child's team, any other team from my program, or other teams of my choosing at my personal schedule
- Almost all level 5s in the country should get a chance to "get the experience"
- I want to sit on the green

No wonder there hasn't been a solution yet.

I wasn't going to do this, but since there is so much debate here are my thoughts:
- Understand many parents will ALWAYS pay to go see their kid, even if it's only to watch their team
- I say limit bids to a max of 20 teams in each division. Then 10 in finals on day 2 makes sense. This equals less competitors and therefore less spectators.
- Utilize both venues equally. No whining allowed about which one you compete ina--you are at Worlds
- Utilize a separate location for awards--again. . .no whining if it's on the baseball field or out on the soccer field in a tent--you got an award so be happy.
- If the numbers still support overcrowding during planning then sell tickets on the tiered system. There are some people that only want to see their kid, some who want to only see their division and some who will pay extra to watch all day. I'll bet a bunch would love to only pay $5 or $10 a day to shuffle through VIP like many did this year then go outside and enjoy a cold beverage and socialize. Then you can say you got what you payed for.
- People only say "I won't watch the jumbo tron" because they've been spoiled all these years. I agree it's exciting to watch teams live, it'll be more exciting when the event is much more exclusive and you have to pick the teams you really want live and watch all the rest in one of the other spectator sites with thousands of others.
- If we are lucky a lot of others will say "this isn't worth it" and not go. More room for the rest of us

Each of the above steps actually improves the crowding issues.

SharkDad THANK YOU for that response. Too many people want the USASF to give them everything they wantm but the USASF can't worry about that anymore. Instead they need to make the event capable of running smoothly and safely. No more trying to cater to what everyone wants in fear of upsetting people. Sure people would be upset, but they will get over it and either pay the price to go or sit at home with the rest of us.

On a few other arguments:
Put into perspective what Worlds attendance means to Disney - An estimated 130,000 people attend all the Disney World parks per day. Approximately 40,000 people attend the Magic Kingdom per day, 37,000 at Epcot, etc.

Roughly 20,000 attending one event such as Worlds appears to be pretty significant.

"The USASF does not have the manpower to pull off these logistics" is not necessarily a valid statement.
- The Worlds Committee defines how the event is run and orchestrates a lot of the event-specific items (ie. judging, scoring, running awards, etc.)
- Disney manpower accomplishes the physical labor of security, ticket sales and collection, vendors and other non-event specific logistical items. If they agreed on the solution I feel confident they could accomplish a majority of the ideas presented in this thread in a fluid fashion. (that's not to say they are all good ideas of course)

I totally agree with everyone. This was my first year attending worlds, since I'm not a level 5 cheerleader. The amazing atmosphere in the arenas was so CRAZY; I just can't explain it. All I can say is the youtube videos I watched for years don't do this competition justice. Unfortunately, we were included in that awful group that got sent to the stadium this year to watch the screen---& it shut off while Senior Elite was performing! We were very unhappy. I couldn't begin to IMAGINE traveling all the hundreds of miles to sit in a stadium and watch the un-reliable jumbotron. I really just think our sport has outgrown WWoS...

I've said for years if I had an in ground pool at my house I would buy a huge screen and stream Worlds on it and invite all my friends. 2 day long pool party/bbq/tailgate.

I was going to buy the live feed and watch it poolside but thought that the people at the pool would think I was weird lol.

Well, unless they come up wth a significant plan I guess I'll pack my sleeping bag and plan on camping out at the gates of WWoS.
This thread makes me so nervous. My daughter will go for the first time next year and I can't do that. I will have to stay with her until she boards the bus to ride over. I am going to be so upset if I can't see her perform for her very first time.

This thread makes me so nervous. My daughter will go for the first time next year and I can't do that. I will have to stay with her until she boards the bus to ride over. I am going to be so upset if I can't see her perform for her very first time.

I have a feeling they will fix that issue as a minimum for next year. Like CharlotteASMom says, there are many changes in the works. We aren't the ones deciding, but feedback. . .and yes even the information in these threads is being taken.

I've said for years if I had an in ground pool at my house I would buy a huge screen and stream Worlds on it and invite all my friends. 2 day long pool party/bbq/tailgate.
I'd go, but I'd feel all self conscious watching Cheer ABletics while eating my chips and sipping margaritas.....there would be margaritas, right?!

Back