All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At Jaylen's new school she is a Toro... And they are red and black! Hopefully I can get my hands on some spirit wear! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If anyone can bring it, I'm sure she can

I love seeing the way other countries/regions say things! One word can be said so many different ways and each is the "right" way to them.

You guys should try say some Scottish words.... Anyone heard of the name Eilidh? How do you think that is said?
(uk people on the board don't count haha)
Ail-e

The one word misspelling that drives me crazy is kindergarden...especially when a kindergarten teacher is the one who makes the error [emoji22]

Serious question- are "caramel" and "aluminium" spelt (;)) differently in the US? Because otherwise I just don't see how you can pronounce them CAR-mel and a-LOO-min-um!

5a7997e01dc0bd7c42ad0e36faa52eab.jpg
n1cp4y.png

5kft4l.jpg
5tikk.jpg

It took me a very long time to get the hang of the word "Iron"... It's like the order the letters are in just doesn't matter anymore :confused:.
Say "irony". It will make you feel better.

This is kinda regional, kinda not.
"Macaron" and "macaroon" are not the same cookie!!!! Macarons are the French almond flour, meringue, and powdered sugar based sandwich cookie. They are pronounced Mac-ah-RON, like Harry Potter's best friend.
Macaroons are cookies that look like haystacks and traditionally have coconut in them. They are pronounced Mac-uh-ROON, like ruin without the "i".
I've read that people pronouncing "macaron" as "macaroon" is okay and it is just the English adaptation of the word, but they shouldn't be! They're two completely different cookies and they're used in the exact same context so there's no way to distinguish between the two. And this bugs me so much because I make macarons at my job and people will come in asking for "macaroons" when they want macarons. I usually have to explain at least once a week that macarons and macaroons are two different cookies. Plus, I have no idea how people pull the long "o" sound out of macaron.

Yeah I know they changed the laws - My understanding was that if it's added, it now has to be added to the server's paycheck instead of given to them in cash at the end of shift. Not sure how that makes it OK if the customer is foreign. Just sounds pretty discriminatory and most definitely not legal.

Lol... I hijacked the grammar thread that was started to keep us from hijacking threads. :p
Haha it's fine. (I edited for space)

It's interesting- I worked last night, and I thought about what you posted. I've never liked having to do it- I know it's not personal and I know it's not their intention, but it's an easy way to circumvent the issue so it could be easy to be complacent. I always try to give the best (if not better) service so I don't rest on my laurels and make sure I'd earn it anyway. We do employ some foreigners-turned-citizens: I went and asked them how they would feel if they found out they were having gratuity added to their check because they were foreign. They both said they wouldn't mind, but both also said that they've been working in the industry in NYC enough to maybe not even think about gratuity. I know when I worked in my town before the city, I just took what I got and didn't think about it. One did say if he found out it might make him a tad uncomfortable...

Funny enough, I've actually been planning on leaving for a while and just haven't gotten to it. Most of my friends are leaving for other life stuff, and the money isn't as good anymore- apparently sales are high if not higher than ever, but it's not reflecting in my paycheck. They've made everything WAY more casual (we used to be much more 'upscale') so we attract a different type of clientele. We ARE a tip-share restaurant, with a 'point' system. As opposed to I make what I make and then tip out busser/bartender. Maybe that's another reason they're so ready to do it- because everybody is relying on everybody else to do well.

@dawgshow @CheerBank @cheermom02

dawgshow got it its pronounced A-Lee (as in the letter A). It's a really common name here as the Gaelic form of the name Helen.

And don't worry, its my little sisters name and when we phoned my grandad when she was born the first thing he asked is why on earth my parents called their child Eye-lid. (and he's scottish too)
Whoo hoo!

Serious question- are "caramel" and "aluminium" spelt (;)) differently in the US? Because otherwise I just don't see how you can pronounce them CAR-mel and a-LOO-min-um!
They are spelled the same. How do you pronounce aluminum? I've never heard it pronounced any way but a-loo-mo-num.

Edit: I was wrong. The U.S. spelling is different. We spell it without the last "i" like I did. I even checked some trade journals just to make sure the spelling was accepted.

Last edited:
They are spelled the same. How do you pronounce aluminum? I've never heard it pronounced any way but a-loo-mo-num.

its really supposed to be pronounced... al-oo-min-e-um

just like laboratory is supposed to be pronounced as... la-bor-a-tory
not lab-rah-tory.

Back