All-Star Gym Charging Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

$3500 sounds nice lol talk about the shock when I moved from small gym tennessee to here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol except double that since I have 2 CPs #foreverbroke

ETA: I do feel that we get a tremendous value for what we pay for. I know there is an effort made by the owners to keep costs down but it does not take away from the quality of the program.

lol except double that since I have 2 CPs #foreverbroke
The reason I want like 5 kids but will never have them. Maybe when Jaylen turns 18 I will have another! We have good fundraising but I suck at it and apparently I'm not friends with the kind of people that can buy the things I'm selling. They are all as broke as me! I tried selling car wash booklets last year at my work as it is to a very popular car wash place here and these girls at work said I would buy one if I had a car. We all ride the bus to work. Lol

Well your kids are great and I hope they have an awesome season and I hope you have a lot of fundraising success if you choose to go that route! Lol

Goodness! Generous grandparents. Every once in a while mine would slip me a $5 when my mom wasn't looking.
Well her grandparents are generous because my daughter is their first grandchild and she came along when they all had already retired (late 60's-early 70's), and she and my niece are the only 2 granddaughters in the whole family, plus my son, who is grown... So, these little girls are quite spoiled, (but not bratty) and given everything..
Wow, just think, those same grandparents did not lavish gifts on to us like that when my husband and I were young, so jealous! PS: But I make them still take the tax deduction for their generous gifts!

This will actually be our first season our gym has done away with fundraising as a whole.

I'm still unsure how I feel about this, since we didn't have a whole lot of fundraising yesterday and I paid most of it all out of my own pocket...but now that it's not even an option, I know it's turned a few away.

The reason I want like 5 kids but will never have them. Maybe when Jaylen turns 18 I will have another! We have good fundraising but I suck at it and apparently I'm not friends with the kind of people that can buy the things I'm selling. They are all as broke as me! I tried selling car wash booklets last year at my work as it is to a very popular car wash place here and these girls at work said I would buy one if I had a car. We all ride the bus to work. Lol

Well your kids are great and I hope they have an awesome season and I hope you have a lot of fundraising success if you choose to go that route! Lol

I can't sell anything either. We have a small extended family and I work for a small company. We are able to work at events (concerts, football games, etc). You don't make much if you look at it hourly but it is fun and it adds up since it goes straight to your account.
Best of luck to Jaylen this season too!

Last year we attended 8 competitions - We traveled to 3 competitions that required us to fly... NCA, UCA and OneUP and one that was Out of State-RI that was about 3.5-4 hours away and the others were less than 2 hours away - In state. So we traveled to at least 5, which required us to stay overnight-2 days...
Yikes!

We paid 180$ for tuition inclusive(tuition, comp fees, 6-9hrs a week, music, cheorgraphy) + $25 a month for mandatory tumbling (1 per week but I you want more it's $25 per extra class) + 15$ for mandatory flying lessons for flyers (everyday) + 450$ uniform(makeup, uniform, shoes, bow)

Plus mandatory hotels (mariotts usually) estimated=
BATC (500$)
Us Finals ($300)
Aloha (500$)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I posted this in another thread re: pricing but wanted to repost it here:

In terms of cost, I always tell people not to be super swayed by "Look at our low tuition!"

Look carefully at what that includes or does not include and how other factors affect the monthly cost.

GYM A might be $200 a month, but any tumbling is separate. So once you enroll in tumbling, you're at $300 or so. Not the deal you thought!

GYM B might be $420 a month, but includes unlimited tumbling and a class. Seems like a lot, but look what you're getting.

GYM C might be $189 a month. SCORE! UNTIL you factor in an hour commute worth of gas, tumbling costs, and 2 comps that require air travel.

GYM D might be $250 and require a 20 min drive with traffic. But your kid is slotted for a Worlds team. Which carries a mandatory tumbling class that's not included. And also involves air travel and all new Worlds attire.

So all of that say, look at more than that monthly "sticker price" you are given.

8 hrs of practice a week? How is that split up for time?

You mentioned the gym your team is at. Do you rent space?

Please send money

No the way this gym is is STRANGE! The girls pay the gym tuition and I get paid per girl... They set the price (which is too high to get any new girls I think) and then they complain that I haven't grown the program. We've only been open (as a cheer team) since January but whenever we get someone interested they turn right around when they hear the tuition cost...

I do everything... Choreo, I make the bows, design the uniforms, do the music (some and we fundraise to pay for others), run practices, choose comps... (keep in mind I only get 74$ out of that $230 per girl)

We Practice Mon 4-6 Tumbling 6-7, Wednesday 4-7, and Thursday 4-7... How many hours are you guys at?

I am now totally confused. Are you "at" the gym and are asking as a parent or do you own/coach at the gym given you design uniforms and do the choreography and are trying to get a sense of what you should charge your customers?
Either way, the monthly tuition is high compared to other gyms but your uniform price is very low. Do you charge for choreography? Are you only going to the one competition or are there others that you don't have to travel too? It still is hard to give you an answer without knowing what all of the fees are

I run the cheer team as a 1099 "contractor" the girls pay the gym... But I do own all of the rights to the team. I have no idea why they wanted to do it this way.... I try to keep ALL other costs SUPER low because they are already paying an arm and a leg so no I don't charge for choreo and I researched uniform companies for roughly 9 months to find one that low with a good quality...

We are competing roughly 1-3 times a month between October and April but only one is traveling (all others are within a 2 hour drive of here).

Here is the fee breakdown:

$230- tuition: 1 hour of tumbling and 8 hours of practice
$45- each add. tumbling class (optional)
$110- Uniform
$55-shoes
$400- App. comp fees for the season (we fundraise for this)
(practice clothes they just had to provide me with the tanks, sports bras, and shorts plus $10, and everytime they need a new bow for performances I charge about $5)
$25- Custom cheer bags that I made for them
$6- Stunt strap (they bought these themselves)
$5- ankle weights (they bought these themselves)
$10- Comp Bow (which I also made)
$10- Money to buy a supply of athletic tape
$5- supply of hair ties (because they are always stealing mine)

No the way this gym is is STRANGE! The girls pay the gym tuition and I get paid per girl... They set the price (which is too high to get any new girls I think) and then they complain that I haven't grown the program. We've only been open (as a cheer team) since January but whenever we get someone interested they turn right around when they hear the tuition cost...

I do everything... Choreo, I make the bows, design the uniforms, do the music (some and we fundraise to pay for others), run practices, choose comps... (keep in mind I only get 74$ out of that $230 per girl)

We Practice Mon 4-6 Tumbling 6-7, Wednesday 4-7, and Thursday 4-7... How many hours are you guys at?

Based on your 2 posts (Which were interesting so thank you for sharing that) there is too much $$$ going into the "gym's hands" and not enough going into yours. Choreography for all teams should be something you are compensated for. It's s a specialized skill set, not everyone can choreograph good routines and you should be paid for that. I agree with you that the owner's are charging too much and holding you responsible for the non growth.....

So they're keeping $156 a kid for what? Rent and utilities on the building? What else do they cover out of their $156 a girl?

@ARajamin - I understand now. I think you are doing an awful lot of work and doing a great job keeping costs low! I think the tuition is high. I am not sure that you will be able to change it, but it is far higher than most from what I have seen. Maybe you could change practice to 2 days/week and lower tuition? Good luck with your team!

Back